HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:39 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
hey Don, you got any ideas for an 8-10S setup for a 70mm fan?
I don't mess with those kind of power systems.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:43 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
ok then, fair enough. thanks for the reply.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:31 AM
Pigs can fly!
New Zealand, Wellington, Lower Hutt
Joined Nov 2011
62 Posts
Hi guys, am looking to move into EDF's and have the Vampire and Stinger 64 on my short list. Which one would be best as a first EDF (or is there a better alternative)?

I've been flying for a couple of years (AXN, Radian Pro, Cessna 185, Zlin 50L and a bunch of ultra micros and have flown EDF's in the Pheonix flight sim) but havn't flown anything as fast as an EDF.

Cheers
Monty
Monty500 is offline Find More Posts by Monty500
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:22 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
My buddy has the Durafly Vampire and its really a great EDF. He loves gliding it about (no throttle) which is impressive for an EDF.

The stinger stock is very very tame. For me, too slow and needs a power upgrade to be fun.

I also have a PZ Habu V1 and it is an excellent EDF. Different price range however.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:47 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,027 Posts
My first EDF was a Stinger. Love it.
Yesterday I averted disaster by a nanosecond. As soon as I touched down, I lost all power to Rx. After closer examination, I found that the negative wire lead from the ESC had pulled from the connector! I must have cold soldered the thing. It lasted about 6 flights.
I just upgraded to a 4 cell 2200 and love it.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Monty - I haven't flown the Vampire (though love scale warbirds and have been tempted) but the Stinger was my first EDF.

After ~6 flights on the stock 3S power I got the "more power!" bug and upgraded to Don's Wicked 4000kv "Plus" set up and have since had another 10 flights or so.
Power aside, the Vampire does not have a rudder (which I'd miss, personally) but does have retracts (with all the good and bad that come with them). Removable, fixed gear are available for the stinger if you want to ROG, I have a set but after using them once just hand launch and belly land for better aerodynamics and looks in flight.

The Stinger will have much greater roll rate and higher top speed vs the Vamp due to better aerodynamics.

If you go the stinger route I'd recommend the ARF version for $99 vs the kit at $74 so you can easily get in the air and get a feel for it on 3S.
http://www.bananahobby.com/red-sting...5429-prd1.html
Changing out the ESC and fan unit isn't that hard when you're ready for more.

I have had two crashes with the stinger that required some reconstruction of the nose (which I reinforced with CF strips prior to the first flight. Without that I'd have needed a new fuse): once it suddenly started snap rolling intermittently, before I could turn her around she stalled and nosed in from ~40'. The second time a aileron control horn snapped in flight, same result. Especially if you belly land I'd highly recommend switching the aileron control links to the top side of the wing for protection.

In either case prepare yourself for shorter flight times vs. equivalent size/speed prop planes, but a much cooler sound
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,335 Posts
monty, another choice for a first edf would be the phase 3 ef-16. 1 thing to cosider is your flying site, if u have a nice strip, a model w/ fixed gear will allow u to get the fun of the t/o's and landings , if not then the p3 f16 is hard to beat.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
also have a look at the concept X from nitroplanes. you could also go with the T-45 from HK or other sources. I can personally vouch for that one. she flies amazingly fast on 4S..................slightly quicker than the Stinger, because the aerodynamics on the Stinger suck. it's the reason we can't push too much more than 100 MPH. the wings need to be redesigned and the tail section. the trailing edges of all flying surfaces are way more than 1/8 inch and the intakes are much too large for a 64mm fan. they are even too large for a 70mm speed application. luckily, I'm going to be doing a composite version of this plane very shortly and we'll see how she does. the P3 F-16 is a good choice, as suggested above. when you've had enough of it, you can mod it to fly well over 160 MPH on the right setup. the Habu is another good choice, but the stock setup is lousy. it needs 5S to come alive and 6S if you want it to fly like a modded Stinger. a 64mm modded Stinger on 4S is about the same as my buddies Habu on 6S. imagine how fast the Stinger could be if it were modded further to fix all the issues I mentioned above. she'd be a perfect candidate for a speed contest.

Rich
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:44 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
also have a look at the concept X from nitroplanes. you could also go with the T-45 from HK or other sources. I can personally vouch for that one. she flies amazingly fast on 4S..................slightly quicker than the Stinger, because the aerodynamics on the Stinger suck. it's the reason we can't push too much more than 100 MPH. the wings need to be redesigned and the tail section. the trailing edges of all flying surfaces are way more than 1/8 inch and the intakes are much too large for a 64mm fan. they are even too large for a 70mm speed application. luckily, I'm going to be doing a composite version of this plane very shortly and we'll see how she does. the P3 F-16 is a good choice, as suggested above. when you've had enough of it, you can mod it to fly well over 160 MPH on the right setup. the Habu is another good choice, but the stock setup is lousy. it needs 5S to come alive and 6S if you want it to fly like a modded Stinger. a 64mm modded Stinger on 4S is about the same as my buddies Habu on 6S. imagine how fast the Stinger could be if it were modded further to fix all the issues I mentioned above. she'd be a perfect candidate for a speed contest.

Rich
Rich ...you forgot...it`s his FIRST EDF
There are Many out there Multiplex has a Nice one called the "Twister" Then there is the Stinger The Habu...Habu 2 ...EDF Is nothing to be Scared of. If you can fly Something that does 40 to 70MPH Any of these will do fine as starters. WHat i would look at is..do you want/Need a wing that comes off for Transport or storage? whats your Budget....That sort of thing..As far as Storage/Budget..Stinger is the way to go IMHO

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:31 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
which is why I suggested all of the planes I did. they can all be flown stock, then modded once he's gotten bored.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
Pigs can fly!
New Zealand, Wellington, Lower Hutt
Joined Nov 2011
62 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions and adviceÖ.I donít usually have problems deciding which plane I will go with next, but this one is turning out to be a hard decision! (scale sight & sound and slightly slower flight speed [Vampire] vís handy sized sport jet, with rudder, that uses batteries that I already have to hand[Stinger]).

I didnít mention that I fly off a grass strip (reasonably good in summer, but grass gets long and wet in winter) so intend to hand launch whatever I end up getting.

For me one of the attractions of the Stinger is that I have plenty of 3s 2200 mAh LIPOs. Most are Nanotech 25-50CÖÖ.are these okay for use in the Stinger or would I need higher C rating LIPOs? I have a couple of 45-90 C LIPOs too.
Monty500 is offline Find More Posts by Monty500
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:09 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty500 View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions and adviceÖ.I donít usually have problems deciding which plane I will go with next, but this one is turning out to be a hard decision! (scale sight & sound and slightly slower flight speed [Vampire] vís handy sized sport jet, with rudder, that uses batteries that I already have to hand[Stinger]).

I didnít mention that I fly off a grass strip (reasonably good in summer, but grass gets long and wet in winter) so intend to hand launch whatever I end up getting.

For me one of the attractions of the Stinger is that I have plenty of 3s 2200 mAh LIPOs. Most are Nanotech 25-50CÖÖ.are these okay for use in the Stinger or would I need higher C rating LIPOs? I have a couple of 45-90 C LIPOs too.
From what you just posted..Go with the Stinger...this EDF Has a nice Flight envelope and will keep you entertianed for quite some time.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal_22 View Post
From what you just posted..Go with the Stinger...this EDF Has a nice Flight envelope and will keep you entertianed for quite some time.

Mal
+1

lots of fun. easy to fly and mod later.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
+2
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
Hi All-
I just successfully maidened my new stock Stinger 64. Thanks to all for your tips, advice, and info.
Quick Question: When range testing, the engine goes full-power when signal lost. Does anyone know how to program the stock ESC so that it either kills or idles the engine if the receiver loses signal?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Tom
TomTerrific is offline Find More Posts by TomTerrific