HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:14 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if it were me, I'de cover it in liquid sheeting, then paint on top of that. you can always brush it with straight Elmers wood glue and then paint on top of that too.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,954 Posts
I used Permanent Markers for the black areas of my Stinger. Looks like paint after going over it a while. For the other color I used Krylon, but even that only lasts for so long.
LuvEvolution... I think even a light coat of Styro Spray and then primer and paint would be too much wieght for a plane this size and class. My old Stinger had a couple coats of paint and a bunch of hot glue and it ended up not flying well.
I just purchased a Freewing EuroFighter 2000. A 90mm EDF. I am using Styro Spray on it, but only in critical areas, to save wieght.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:52 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,042 Posts
Bad idea to add weight to these things and paint weight adds up fast.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:22 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,070 Posts
On my first stinger, I painted it blue, beige, yellow like the Italian fighter jet AMX. Flew well but vertical was not so good. I kept the paint down to 2 coats, but stock the extra weight is enough to slow it down. That stinger spiraled on final and not worth putting back together. I liked this edf so much that I bought a second one from hobbylobby when they were on sale. All I did to this one was remove the stickers on the bottom and paint 2 black lines on the wing tips for orientation. Very little paint. Power system is stock with the esc moved to the intake. Flies great. I think for a total paint, job a guy would need to upgrade to 4s.
Liquid sheeting would look great and last the longest, but will also be the heaviest. But then again, if you went with 4s, it would have plenty of power.
Krylon fusion will stick to it but it will come off if scratched or bumped around.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
177 Posts
Thought you guys might enjoy a little footage of my Don's Wicked/HET setup.

I'm stepping it up for next season, should go pretty good!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...=2443758951393
Alpha10 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha10
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:21 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I clicked like on your facebook video. that was cool. they sure do move out nicely. I miss mine. gotta get around to making the composite version over the winter.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:51 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Hi Guys. Built and maidened my stock Stinger today. Flew it on a 3S 2200mah. It's way too slow for my taste.
Which one of Don's setup options is best for 4S high speed performance?

I like the build and look of this plane. I just want much more power.........
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if it were me, I would go for the 4000 Kv motor with the EDO fan. you could go for the plus motor, but with the extra Amps used, you don't get that much more speed out of it. the smile factor is huge with either one, so you can't go wrong either way. just that the plus motor draws more Amps for not a lot of gains. I think the aerodynamics is maxing out what this plane can do. in a more slippery frame, that plus motor would rock.............say a P3 F-16

Rich
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Hi Guys. Built and maidened my stock Stinger today. Flew it on a 3S 2200mah. It's way too slow for my taste.
Which one of Don's setup options is best for 4S high speed performance?
Accd to Don't recommendation (the 4000kV "plus" slightly heavier but more efficient than the non-Plus) here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...29&postcount=3

I went with the "Plus". Flight report: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2180

I don't know how much less efficient the "non-plus" is, but I'm burning ~440mAh/min with the Plus so only get around 4 minutes from a 2200mAh 4S pack.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:50 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
if it were me, I would go for the 4000 Kv motor with the EDO fan. you could go for the plus motor, but with the extra Amps used, you don't get that much more speed out of it. the smile factor is huge with either one, so you can't go wrong either way. just that the plus motor draws more Amps for not a lot of gains. I think the aerodynamics is maxing out what this plane can do. in a more slippery frame, that plus motor would rock.............say a P3 F-16

Rich
u may be onto something re. the draggy airframe, however, the larger plus is putting the input to use, not heat. in dons testing the plus draws more mostly due to the voltage it was tested at, 15v...... whereas the smaller wicked was at14.1 volts. imo the plus is far better at these watt levels.

chuck
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Aug 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
u may be onto something re. the draggy airframe, however, the larger plus is putting the input to use, not heat. in dons testing the plus draws more mostly due to the voltage it was tested at, 15v...... whereas the smaller wicked was at14.1 volts. imo the plus is far better at these watt levels.

chuck
Don's Plus motors LOVE the 6404 fan... Let me tell ya :thumbup:
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:59 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha10 View Post
Don's Plus motors LOVE the 6404 fan... Let me tell ya :thumbup:
interesting, have u compared the edo to the het?
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
interesting, have u compared the edo to the het?
I haven't, but maybe Don can chim in.

All I know is that The HET SCREAMS. I really can't see the EDO matching it tbh
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,226 Posts
HET 64mm on the 4000 Plus motor is about 830 watts with 4S lipo so more power than the EDO fans. Power required goes with the speed cubed, so this model is about 100 mph on 600 watts so 800 watts gets you about 110mph. That same 600 watt setup in a HP F16 is ~110 mph so the airframe makes a difference.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
hey Don, you got any ideas for an 8-10S setup for a 70mm fan? anything you have that might work? I understand that it's gonna have to be balanced silky smooth to withstand that kind of power. I want extreme power on the lightest possible setup for an upcoming speed run event. I've got the airframe to go well over 200 MPH, but the missing element is the power system.

Rich