HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
170 Posts
Regarding CG... Can anyone give latest update/opinion on the correct CG for this jet? I have mine stock with 1800 3S with the battery all the way forward and it balances perfectly at the recommended CG point. Most opinions say to balance further back at the rear of the finger holes. My Stinger actually flies pretty well as it is but just wondering what the
'further back" CG point will accomplish? Thanks much!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:38 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,630 Posts
It lands better with the CG back to the rear of the finger holes.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
170 Posts
Mine has a tendency to catch the nose and cartwheel quite a bit but is not nose heavy at 70mm back from wing front. Does this help with that? Otherwise it seeks to fly pretty well. Thanks!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:01 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,630 Posts
Yes, it helps.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
anytime. I will plug Dons products because I believe in them based on what I have in front of me.
I put Don's 64mm set-up in my Stinger and, to be honest, I was a bit intimidated. I used his 60A ESc as well. My first flight used 3S and I liked it. then I used 4S and I was caught out a couple of times for not starting my turns soon enough. had to work hard at keeping the airplane in view.

Bear in mind that I cut my flying-teeth on high speed slope racers and some pretty hot glow ships. Don's set-up was perfect right out of the box. The only hard part was soldering the ESC to the motor as he reccommends.

Get ready for a lot of questions from other electric speed fans! Even some, "How much do you want for it?" questions.

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, she's a totally different animal on 4S AND Dons setup. LOL.

as someone else said earlier, it became my go-to plane before she went in. just gotta get a new fuselage and I'm up and running again.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
944 Posts
sweet
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:15 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,824 Posts
After reconstructing the nose (for the second time) after a broken control horn broke - see write up one page back - and cutting a slot in the wing to move the linkages to the top (which should be standard IMO) thanks to mustflynow2's suggestion, my Stinger went back in the air last weekend for her 4th flight with Don's Wicked set-up.
Little windy out, maybe 5g15, and her tail was wagging around a bit but just as smooth and powerful as the previous flights. Would be interesting to use a gyro on RUD only, maybe I'll plug in my HK gyro next time.
Pics below of the linkage and decidedly broken looking nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
yeah, she's a totally different animal on 4S AND Dons setup. LOL.
I'd be curious to see exactly how much more thrust Don's set-up produces compared to stock on 3S. For sure it's got more top end, but I flew her stock for over 10 batteries and don't notice THAT much more power after the switch. Probably due in large part to me becoming more confident flying her, but has anyone tested the actual thrust difference between stock and Don's on 4S?
The sound is MUCH smoother and more "turbine like" that's for sure!
cheers
Kurt
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
After reconstructing the nose (for the second time) after a broken control horn broke - see write up one page back - and cutting a slot in the wing to move the linkages to the top (which should be standard IMO) thanks to mustflynow2's suggestion, my Stinger went back in the air last weekend for her 4th flight with Don's Wicked set-up.
Little windy out, maybe 5g15, and her tail was wagging around a bit but just as smooth and powerful as the previous flights. Would be interesting to use a gyro on RUD only, maybe I'll plug in my HK gyro next time.
Pics below of the linkage and decidedly broken looking nose

I'd be curious to see exactly how much more thrust Don's set-up produces compared to stock on 3S. For sure it's got more top end, but I flew her stock for over 10 batteries and don't notice THAT much more power after the switch. Probably due in large part to me becoming more confident flying her, but has anyone tested the actual thrust difference between stock and Don's on 4S?
The sound is MUCH smoother and more "turbine like" that's for sure!
cheers
Kurt
No more Concorde!
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:26 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I just put in Dons wicked setup and what a nice setup it is...As most of you know i use a wheelchair to get around. Winter months.are not my friend anymore Winter is my enemy.. so i have found a flying site i can stay in my car and fly (Isn`t 2.4 GHZ Great?!!) Anyways back to my story. ..Since i do not want landing gear....(actually Take off gear would be more correct) I stand it on end then park 10 -15 feet away and BLAST OFF!!! up she goes (always onto her back (reminds me of ,,,"Throttle up" ) i took out Two fans skipping it across the parking lot before Don`s Wicked .. motor fan combo...Thank you Don. this is a great setup...Now i just need to find one fr the new Great planes Phazer

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Last edited by kushal_22; Nov 30, 2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:47 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,996 Posts
Glad to hear you guys enjoying your Wicked powered Stingers! That VTO is something I have to try!
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:58 AM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
632 Posts
I just got my Stinger yesterday and I was wondering in anyone is running the stock fan and motor on a 4 cell battery with an upgraded 40 or 50 amp ESC? I was thinking of running this set up but I am unsure if the stock fan or motor can take it, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

malden86
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
I just got my Stinger yesterday and I was wondering in anyone is running the stock fan and motor on a 4 cell battery with an upgraded 40 or 50 amp ESC? I was thinking of running this set up but I am unsure if the stock fan or motor can take it, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

malden86
The stock motor won't take it... Not for long at least.
Alpha10 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha10
Last edited by Alpha10; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
632 Posts
Thanks for the reply Alpha10.
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:56 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it might last longer if you don't go full throttle all the time..........................but who can do that!? LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7