HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yes, it did the same thing to me too. I'm not sure if it's the wing design, or if it's a CG issue. I moved the CG around and this effect lessened, but was still there. I think it's a bit of both personally, which is why this plane gets a bit squirrely when slowed down. flapperons would tame it a bit, but I don't get this plane slow if I don't have to. it just doesn't like it. the 70mm Viperjet is the same way with those winglets. my buddy took the winglets off the Viperjet and it was somewhat better. I know one of the guys redesigned the wings of the Stinger, but I never did hear if it improved the flight characteristics or not. I'd be interested to find out though.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
I'm still waiting for HK to have the kits in stock look like i might have to wait a while
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmad View Post
I'm still waiting for HK to have the kits in stock look like i might have to wait a while
Banana has them, kit and ARF-

http://sitesearch.bananahobby.com/ps...ode=any&page=3
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:54 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
yes, it did the same thing to me too. I'm not sure if it's the wing design, or if it's a CG issue. I moved the CG around and this effect lessened, but was still there. I think it's a bit of both personally, which is why this plane gets a bit squirrely when slowed down. flapperons would tame it a bit, but I don't get this plane slow if I don't have to. it just doesn't like it. the 70mm Viperjet is the same way with those winglets. my buddy took the winglets off the Viperjet and it was somewhat better. I know one of the guys redesigned the wings of the Stinger, but I never did hear if it improved the flight characteristics or not. I'd be interested to find out though.
I too remember someone, perhaps on this thread, that cut the winglets off. I like the winglets, kinda gives the stinger a personality. I usually don't do outside loops (I think that's what it's called) with edfs so its not a big deal. I'll try it out with a 5s habu and see what it does. Probably uneventful, but you never know. Still having fun with the stinger. Its turned into my go-to plane.
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,967 Posts
Don's Wicked 4000kV flight report, and control horn failure

After 2 good flights with the 4800kV 2815 motor and stock fan&housing (1st limited max throttle to 75%, 2nd to 80%), a few weeks ago I raised the max throttle to 90% and went for a launch..... cranked the throttle lever to almost max with my mouth and gave her a toss and immediately BBBZZZZZZZZ!!!!
Just as she left my hand the fan blade disintegrated and POW goes nose first into the ground. Luckily it was pretty soft dirt so other than a bit of mud on her beak no airframe damage whatsoever.
I may have weakened the fan cranking down the central nut, or it could have been stressed the time it flew off the shaft at high RPM, or it could simply not handle the quite considerable forces of 60k+ RPM. Who knows, but I had enough messing around with home-brew, bargain basement experiments so bit the bullet and ordered the 4000kV set up from EDF-Jedi Don:
Wicked Plus EDF Motor 4000KV
Motor Configuration: Standoff w/rotor plug for EDO (+$2.00) 1 $42.00
64mm EDO Type I EDF Ducted Fan Unit
Rotor Plug: Do not include a rotor plug (+$0.00) 1 $10.00
Mount and Dynamic Balance
Balancing: Standard Balancing (+$0.00) 1 $10.00
Order Total: $65.47

Don was very helpful answering questions, and shipping was fast.

My 65A FMS speed controller wouldn't play nice with this hot-rod motor (timing wouldn't go low enough), so also got a Hobbywing Pentium 60A ESC (one of Don's recommended ESCs) via Amazon for $29
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

OK, now I have as much money in the powerplant as the whole plane cost me, but I really love flying the Stinger so what the hell.

Yesterday I soldered in the ESC and the Wickedness and headed out to the field with 3 fully charged 4S 2200mAh batteries.

Note: After re-installing the wing and firmly tightening the 4 wing bolts the fan blade rubbed on the housing. Took the wing back off and saw an impression made int he foam by the central locating rib on the fan housing (I hadn't lined up the housing 100% perfectly). Since I'd put a few dabs of hot glue in the fuselage part to fix the fan housing I just cut away a bit of the foam on the wing with an X-Acto where the impression was, but there was still a bit of fan blade rubbing. After taking off and putting the wing on at least 4 times it was much better, but I couldn't crank down the 2 rear wing-screws fully so I just left these about 1 turn "loose" (wing was still quite solid) and the fan then could spin up with no rubs.

Pre-flight I set the DX8's timer to 3 minutes, max throttle to 90% (I was still a bit nervous with a fan spinning 60,000 rpms) and gave her a toss.
NICE!!! With the last set up she would roll pretty heavily to the left out of the gate, now she took off straight as an arrow as a blast of "exhaust" hit me in the face.
Such a nice sound - much more "turbine" like wooooosh on flybys and obviously much more muscular thrust. Cruising around at 1/2 throttle was very enjoyable but it's still the full throttle passes and steep climbs that wows the crowd.
3 minutes of flight burned up 1330mAh of the 35C 2200, so at about 440mAh/minute I could safely get 4 minutes (not much more) out of this sized battery.

Ran a another battery through (max throttle 100%), this landing was a bit hot and she slid on her belly quite a ways, skidding into a 180 degree turn at the end.
Didn't think anything of it so loaded up the third battery and went for one last flight as the sun set and the sky turned gorgeous shades of red and blue.
About 1 minute in during a wide turn away from me at about 100' AGL she suddenly snap rolled - OH S!*@#! Fought her back to wings level and reduced power, while trying in vain to get her turned around towards home. She kept heading straight away, not responding well to aileron at all and not losing much altitude. Just as I thought I might be able to float her in (even if it was at least 1000' feet away) she rolled over and headed for the ground nose first
Trekked out to get her expecting the worse, but, yet again, the only damage was to her (already once repaired) nose. This morning I straightened it out pretty well and hot glued it up so that's fixed (don't know if she can survive a third nose in like that though ), but the post crash investigation revealed the clear cause of the crash: snapped left aileron control horn. I bet on the previous semi-rough landing this caught on the ground (grass is pretty wimpy this time of year) and was weakened, then it gave up the ghost during normal flight. The aileron hinges were pretty stiff; thought I had worked these in pretty well but there was a good amount of resistance so this stress coupled with a presumably good knock was too much for the stock horn. Off to the hobby store to pick up a couple control horns, then she should be back in the air.

Recommendation: if not immediately, consider replacing at least the aileron control horns with something a bit beefier, and work in the hinges well (by hand with control rod removed) to reduce the stress on the horns.

She'll be flight worthy again soon, can't wait to put Don's motor back in the air!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Last edited by Kurt; Nov 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:52 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,063 Posts
oh man that sucks.
the horn broke near the top, at the thicker part, clean off. Im going to give mine a pull and a tug. Every time i see a bent nose, I think of my first habu. My wife would jokingly ask me "is that a Concorde?" and laugh at me. Well, get it back together and back in the air. Its the best medicine.
It wants to fly... fast.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
Kurt, flip your ail servo arms 180 through the wing and straighten them out in the air flow. Remove just enough foam for clearance and keep push rod close to wing. Good luck
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:19 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
oh man that sucks.
the horn broke near the top, at the thicker part, clean off. Im going to give mine a pull and a tug. Every time i see a bent nose, I think of my first habu. My wife would jokingly ask me "is that a Concorde?" and laugh at me. Well, get it back together and back in the air. Its the best medicine.
It wants to fly... fast.
Thanks man :fistbump:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Kurt, flip your ail servo arms 180 through the wing and straighten them out in the air flow. Remove just enough foam for clearance and keep push rod close to wing. Good luck
Great idea!!!
What do you mean "straighten them out in the air flow"?
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:06 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
Parallel with airflow over wing, or direction of plane flying. Easy to do belly take offs now on short grass with a 4s set up. Take it easy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,944 Posts
Musty... how'd you get to the servo arm screw to remove the servo arm? Did you have to cut a little foam, or did you yank out the servo?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:07 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Musty... how'd you get to the servo arm screw to remove the servo arm? Did you have to cut a little foam, or did you yank out the servo?
Just compress the foam with a small screwdriver, less is best, it's such a short screw and will come out in a couple of turns. i guess if you want to finish off the underside you could cover with contact, tape, film etc protect from water. In the pic you can also see how I relocated the horn. Its up to you, I am not sure streamlining the pushrod linkage does much for me but if you are trying to do all you can for speed you might want to. It's a great little plane, my first edf and I still like flying it.

My question on its top speed would be if there are some doppler results out there, or if anyone can reliably doppler this plane via this thread? Might be interesting to see.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:24 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Parallel with airflow over wing, or direction of plane flying. Easy to do belly take offs now on short grass with a 4s set up. Take it easy
Belly take offs?
If only your fan could talk....
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
My question on its top speed would be if there are some doppler results out there, or if anyone can reliably doppler this plane via this thread? Might be interesting to see.

I got a few passes tonight with what I thought would be reasonable recordings for wave o scope but the results are poor. This is new to me, wasn't getting any wave info in the correct frequency area, not sure how to address this?

Has anyone tried rc speedo?

http://www.rcspeedo.info/
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Quote:

I got a few passes tonight with what I thought would be reasonable recordings for wave o scope but the results are poor. This is new to me, wasn't getting any wave info in the correct frequency area, not sure how to address this?

Has anyone tried rc speedo?

http://www.rcspeedo.info/
never been successfully with rc speedo just another gimmick and a waste of 4 bucks LOL
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmad View Post
never been successfully with rc speedo just another gimmick and a waste of 4 bucks LOL
Cheers for that, I figured as much