SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind words! I am glad you like the power setup! Also glad to hear it will vertical takeoff as well. Does it have a thrust tube or is it still stock outlet size? I would think no thrust tube would be best for VTO.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:38 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I can't do a vert with the thrust tube. never tried it with open ducting because I love the top end of the plane with the thrust tube. I just need another airframe, if anyone hears of one available.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusEl View Post
I dont use any glue, just put the fan unit in and mount the wing. I am using Turnigy 2815 Kv4800 EDF outrunner, ~500 W on 3 cells, and fan stays in there without problem.
Nice to know..one less thing to glue.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:32 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,142 Posts
I just use a little hot melt glue on the fan units when I install. You dont need much and it also allows you to remove later down the road if needed.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:11 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Thanks guys for the kind words! I am glad you like the power setup! Also glad to hear it will vertical takeoff as well. Does it have a thrust tube or is it still stock outlet size? I would think no thrust tube would be best for VTO.
Not using a thrust tube? Never have, what's the application look like? Maybe I'll try it. Although I don't really need any more speed. The VTOs are with stock tube. First couple seconds are a trip but it usually works out. Another trick in going to try is letting it twirl (gently hilding nise at WOT) in my cupped hand and letting go! Should be a good one.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:54 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Not using a thrust tube? Never have, what's the application look like? Maybe I'll try it. Although I don't really need any more speed. The VTOs are with stock tube. First couple seconds are a trip but it usually works out. Another trick in going to try is letting it twirl (gently hilding nise at WOT) in my cupped hand and letting go! Should be a good one.
Please get that on video.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:23 PM
ILLSMOQ
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Hi all,

Not sure if we talked about this, but does anyone use any mixing on the stinger?
I run the elevator servos and aileron servos on their own channels. I have up ailerons mixed with up elevator for tight loops and another aileron/ elevator mix for ultra quick snap rolls... Works very well.
KURTIST is offline Find More Posts by KURTIST
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,380 Posts
My Stinger Mods.

I flew my little ol’ Stinger a few days ago. [First flight] I had installed a pre-balanced 64mm unit from Don with his 60A ESC. I also used a Nano 4S 2250 65C pack. [Normally I am flying park flyer jets for column or review work, and not in the business of tweaking for speed. However, when it comes to my own stuff there are no restrictions  ]

This is what I used.
Wicked Plus 4000 with standoff and EDO plug
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=92
EDO type 1 fan unit
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=74
Mount and Dynamic balance:
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=89
Pentium 60 amp ESC:
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=43

It took a bit of carving to get that 4S necessary pack in and also allow it to move it back to get close to the specified CG. Used a JR XG-8 TX and 6 channel receiver. Employed 1/16” of up ailerons for launching and landing as per my usual practice. This normally gives me time to get the bird up to speed without any tip stalling. Same in reverse for landing.

Well you can forget all that! Had a local volunteer give it a chuck. Before I knew it she was at 200 plus feet going up like a rocket, and I was holding in a bunch of down elevator. Engaged brain and switched out the airbrake. That’s better and oh Yeah! throttle back some—even better. Now four beeps of down trim and six beeps of right trim. Time to try and exert some influence on where it was going to be next.

What a sweet little wee beastie. Very fast at ˝ throttle stick and very easy to roll. Turns were a bit big for my liking so I turned on the flaperons and things got a bit more comfortable (tighter). What initially fooled me was that the balanced fan was so quiet. More of a great big whoosh than any form of a high pitched whine.

Once I settle down I slowly built up to some faster and faster high speed passes. I can’t say that I am fully aware of the relative speed while I am flying. I did notice that you had to plan to turn as you went by or it would get very small and way out. It was better to come back a bit on the power as the wings were bending in the turns.

The landing sucked, because I was still too far forward with the CG. It needed to be another Ľ” further back to get a decent flare. (Back at my workshop, me and razor-blade-man took out some more foam). However, for this landing I could not get the nose up to burn off the speed so we made premature contact with the 3” Velcro grass! The grass tugged at one wing and twisted the STINGER round 180 degrees and backed her up into the turf at speed. This stripped an aileron gear.

I have since turned the wing servos around and basically put the arms on top of the wing. I did not remove the servos. What I did was use an Xacto knife to slice around each servo and pop them out of the wing still attached to their foam piece. Then I just plugged the complete unit through the underneath of the opposite wing. Bingo! I had servo arms sticking out of the top. Put the control horns on the top of the ailerons and connected it all up. (Did remember to use some CA to re- glue the foam pieces holding the servos  )

After the flight, the local EDF speed merchants wanted to know all they could about the set-up. I made them take pictures of the Wicked decal logo. “Call Don” I said as I began planning my next monster modification— I had not been home long before there was also a JETIGER with a thrust tube using a second “Wicked” set-up—and yes it is a rocket! (And another story!)

Some pictures:- .

Regards,
Evl-Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
congrats on the flight. you are gonna love this bird over the long run. jsut chuck her in the car and chuck her in the air. she always puts a smile on your face, which is what this hobby should be all about.

Rich
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:18 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,380 Posts
I must admit that the fun in upgrading and modifying competes with the fun of flying. Might be an age thing? Or once a builder--always a builder!

The STINGER pleased me a lot when it flew. I drew a lot from those who went before me in this thread, and will be trying a VTO before long.

I am currently upgrading the Vampire and my Habu-2 to Don's 70mm motors etc. Then there is an twin 70mm EDF conversion for my next Twinstar-II, and I almost forgot a Hawker Hunter.....That is unless they finally come out with that pesky Sea Vixen.

I have also been looking for a Hobby Lobby International Executive jet--Seems it has been discontinued???

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:46 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
go on the EDF forum and check out the new one From Tim Wan and the gang. I'm getting the single version for 10S. but there's a twin 90 too. I love the look of the single. should go likea rocket and they fly amazingly well. here's the link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761712
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
go on the EDF forum and check out the new one From Tim Wan and the gang. I'm getting the single version for 10S. but there's a twin 90 too. I love the look of the single. should go likea rocket and they fly amazingly well. here's the link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761712
That twin looks really sexy. However, I have the equipment for a an Executive Jet and I can't buy one. (I think it's the Lear Jet in other parts of the RC world). I wondered if anyone had one that they will not get around to building?

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:16 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,030 Posts
Has anyone tried an inverted loop? I was messing around the other day and was flying inverted across the deck, pushed elevator to loop and when the stinger transitioned from vertical to top loop, it became unstable, and flipped over. I thought it was a wind gust or just stalled out, so I tried it a few more times and the same thing happened. I was pretty high so recovery was no problem. Perhaps the wing design is causing this. Once again the stinger is keeping me on my toes.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider