Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,746 Posts
My research shows it is sold only as an ARF or as parts.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
My research shows it is sold only as an ARF or as parts.
I guess you could call it an ARF This is what i'm after

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17943

I can only find it with motor esc servos

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...r-ready-1.html
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Nose job complete, RX tucked up and out of the way so a 4S 2700mAh (Zippy Compact) battery fits with room on the sides to spare. CG seems fine, tomorrow will be the test!
Roughed up the motor shaft a bit and even put a small drop of CA on it before sliding the fan adapter on, then cranked down the stock fan nut with loctite.
Going to try her first on 3S, then 4, without landing gear (which I didn't even get to try landing with as she crashed on her first flight with them....)
Wish me luck.... tally ho!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proline1 View Post
I have read many thoughts on CG after 141 pages!!! Great info but can anyone help me lock in for maiden on stock 3S 1800 25C (148g)? I'm thinking high rates at 70% Aileron/ 50% Rudder/ 100% Elevator. Low rates at 50% Aileron/ 50% Rudder/ 80% Elevator. Should i launch on high rates as i do with other non EDF planes? Also it seems that everyone says to leave Elevator rates almost full for more flare for low speed landing. Are Aileron rates still too high for first flights? I'm keeping rudder at a minimum as no knife edge expected initially. Thanks much!
Maiden today! One minor scuff on 2nd launch but all in all went well! Flew 4 3S 1800 packs and wish I had brought my charger to the field to keep going. Decent performance on stock setup. No unlimited vertical but nice climbouts. Only concern is that i needed about 8 clicks of left aileron to trim out roll. Probably a wing thickness or so width of aileron correction to trim! Perhaps i need to mount battery more on the right side of fuse??? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
I have read many thoughts on CG after 141 pages!!! Great info but can anyone help me lock in for maiden on stock 3S 1800 25C (148g)? I'm thinking high rates at 70% Aileron/ 50% Rudder/ 100% Elevator. Low rates at 50% Aileron/ 50% Rudder/ 80% Elevator. Should i launch on high rates as i do with other non EDF planes? Also it seems that everyone says to leave Elevator rates almost full for more flare for low speed landing. Are Aileron rates still too high for first flights? I'm keeping rudder at a minimum as no knife edge expected initially. Thanks much!
Also needed 4 clicks up elevator trim. should i get battery mounted a bit further back? thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Nose job complete, RX tucked up and out of the way so a 4S 2700mAh (Zippy Compact) battery fits with room on the sides to spare. CG seems fine, tomorrow will be the test!
Roughed up the motor shaft a bit and even put a small drop of CA on it before sliding the fan adapter on, then cranked down the stock fan nut with loctite.
Going to try her first on 3S, then 4, without landing gear (which I didn't even get to try landing with as she crashed on her first flight with them....)
Wish me luck.... tally ho!
are you using stock motor? I replaced with this one at about 100g and have the same compact 2700 4S zippys set back a bit further for cg, reckon you might be a bit nose heavy

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._for_64mm.html

get your esc outboard in the intake if you haven't will give you more room, and keep it cool, and away from rx too, good luck
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
personally, I prefer to launch on high rates and switch to low rates for high speed. I've tried low rates and it's more than flyable that way from launch to touchdown.

as far as best setups, Dons is the best by far. for the money, quality and plug and playability, you can't beat it. the metal fans are cool, but they don't belong in a foamie IMHO. the biggest reason, is that they sink the heat straight to the airframe, which is why I don't use them on foamies. weight can also be a factor too. not saying don't use them, just giving reasons why I don't use them for foamies. heat and foam just don't mix well.

I can also tell you this much...............my Dons setup was way less than any metal EDF out there and it performs on par, or better than my metal fans. you just can't beat it. plus, Don stands behind his products. I will continue to support him based on that selling feature alone.
well said , unless u are going to the mega watt setup the metal fan is unneeded weight . the power to weight on the dons setups is much better. he has done his homework on the 64mm's , simple but very effective.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:48 AM
Joined Sep 2011
169 Posts
From older post?
have you adjusted your throttle end points.. 1st reason could be that
2nd reason could be your battery
2200 40c at least is needed.

To adjust your throttle end point on the esc first turn on your transmitter. Apply full throttle
Plug in your stinger.. Wait for the normal beeps aand then throttle back to dead stick.
Unplug it turn off your transmitter and then back on. Plub your stinger and test.
Timing sometimes gives just extra watts because of heat. Its not always the case

Question??? Is this throttle end point adjustment a one time deal or should this be done each flight? Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Thanks Mustfly, your motor looks better suited to 4S than the one I swapped in:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10923

It's 4800kV so ~14000rpm more than yours at WOT on 4S. We'll see if the motor (and fan) can take it!

I did move the 65A ESC:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2088

cheers
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,931 Posts
Quote:
From older post?
have you adjusted your throttle end points.. 1st reason could be that
2nd reason could be your battery
2200 40c at least is needed.

To adjust your throttle end point on the esc first turn on your transmitter. Apply full throttle
Plug in your stinger.. Wait for the normal beeps aand then throttle back to dead stick.
Unplug it turn off your transmitter and then back on. Plub your stinger and test.
Timing sometimes gives just extra watts because of heat. Its not always the case

Question??? Is this throttle end point adjustment a one time deal or should this be done each flight? Thanks!
1 time per transmitter should do it.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
1 time per transmitter should do it.
Great thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
4S success!

Had 3 very good flights today with the newly installed Turnigy 2815-4800 and 65A ESC.
#1: 3s 2200 25C Nano Tech warm up. Didn't seem much faster than I remember stock being but decent power. Battery came back quite warm and puffed after a 3 minute flight, moderate throttle usage. Guess 25C doesn't cut it :/
#2: 4s 2100 35c, max throttle limited to 70% in my DX8. Nice! Definitely stronger throughout the range. Landed at 3 minutes, will check how many mAh it takes to recharge tomorrow AM.
#3: 4S 2200 25-50C Nano-tech, upped max throttle to 80%. Nicer! T:W at least 1:1. Landed at 4 minutes, battery warm but no puff.
Tried a vertical takeoff, but she lifted about 6" and fell over in some pretty strong 10-15mph winds. Thought it was due to the battery but after I packed up the car realized I still had max throttle limited to 80%!
The stock 5-bladed fan sounded smooth and mean (loud!) and the CA & loctite on the adapter held her on the motor shaft.
I also put a few dabs of hot glue around the fan housing where it slots into the foam so that made the thing more solid.
Too bad today was likely the last day of the flying season, unless I get one of those transmitter/hand bags
Looking forward to next spring and cutting the Stinger loose on 4S at 100% throttle
Forgot to take pics of the Stinger but here's one I took of the Mustang :P
Last edited by Kurt; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Well I just charged the batteries from yesterday, and yep she's a pig! LOL

4S 2200 Zippy Compact, 2:30 flight time (throttle limited to 70%) took 990mAh so that's 400mAh/minute.

4S 2200 Nano-Tech, 3:30 flight time (throttle max 80%) took 2012mAh(!) so that's 575mAh/min. Good battery, no puffing or excessive heat after 90% usage.

Both flights were a mix of ~30 to "full" throttle. Next time I'll be curious to see how she does with a 2700mAh battery and max 90%, then no "governor" on the throttle.
Seeing how much juice she sucks down I'll limit the first flight to 3 minutes or so....

How long are you guys flying with Don's 4S set up, and what size battery?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:08 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Anyone know what the setup for the 160MPH stinger on Youtube is?...It also can be a pig
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:31 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal_22 View Post
Anyone know what the setup for the 160MPH stinger on Youtube is?...It also can be a pig
160!?! That's way too fast for these old reflexes lol
I'm curious what mine will do with the 2815-4800 on 4S at WOT.
At 80% throttle she sure looked as fast as my 100mph Radjet.

I doubt I'll use 100% throttle more than 3-4 times per flight: one high-speed pass, one or two big vertical climbs, and maybe another high-speed pass
Or one vertical takeoff and 2-3 WOT runs :P