HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
746 Posts
Hobby lobby has the fan unit for $12.00. I cracked the tongs on the collet balancing the fan a while back. I cranked on it a little too hard. Not sure where to find just the collet.
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:04 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,246 Posts
So last weekend I helped a buddy and his son setup there new Stingers.

We had 3 Stingers chasing each other around the sky, looked and sounded pretty cool!

My poor old Stinger is really showing its age when sitting next to two brand new ones.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
The RED filters through
Rendon, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,943 Posts
A friend (who is on leave from being stationed in Afganistan) and I have been flying formation with our Stingers. Due to the tame handling of the plane, we've been getting quite close too!
RedTalon is offline Find More Posts by RedTalon
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:14 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
746 Posts
i've seen a couple of youtube videos with pz habu formation flying. Anyone have any Stingers formation flying on video?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:25 PM
The RED filters through
Rendon, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,943 Posts
No one ever brings a camera (other than cell phones) to our field....
RedTalon is offline Find More Posts by RedTalon
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
i've seen a couple of youtube videos with pz habu formation flying. Anyone have any Stingers formation flying on video?
I'll try and get some, next time my buddies wife AKA Camera Woman, comes out to the field.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:14 AM
USA, MO, Poplar Bluff
Joined Dec 2010
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Hobby lobby has the fan unit for $12.00. I cracked the tongs on the collet balancing the fan a while back. I cranked on it a little too hard. Not sure where to find just the collet.
Thats exactally what I did . Hard little item to locate. Guess Ill find a collet to fit that shaft and go from there. Every thing I have is for a prop shaft.
thanks
Don
poplharris is offline Find More Posts by poplharris
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poplharris View Post
Thats exactally what I did . Hard little item to locate. Guess Ill find a collet to fit that shaft and go from there. Every thing I have is for a prop shaft.
thanks
Don
If you find one please post it. I'm sure someone else has done the same. I now have a new housing and fan with no screw or collet sitting on my work table. Somehow I keep forgetting the smaller things are the less force they require.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
What other jets have you flown on 4s? If this would be your first one, then 3s will be decent to start with. Also cheaper and lighter. If you are accustomed to 4s and already have the gear and lipos then why not
I have an Airfield 64mm F18 that was a little weak on 3s. I have 4s in 1300 to 2200. Put a 40A ESC in last night and flew it today on 4s, 1300, 1600 then a 2200! It was gusting to 20 mph and it tracked real nice with the 2200. I'm guessing it is approaching 90- 100 mph WOT! I can run 4-7 minutes and it goes fine on 75% power. The 3s in these 64mm EDFs are just a tad underpowered. I have the Peaks Pitts by Dynam running the same batteries so inventory isn't a problem. If your in the market for a nice, inexpensive, well performing biplane get that Peaks, just follow the thread on the mods (about 2 hours of tweaks but well worth it) . It handled the gusty winds just fine too! I've been eying the other Freewing models at Valuehobby.com They have a nice lineup.

Additional tweaks on the Stinger- cut the vents out larger to cool the ESC and angle them so it gets good flow. My stock Esc was hot to the touch after a 3 minute flight with a 3s 1600 30c batt running 75% to WOT). Also a couple coats of latex spray clear coat (from Michaels) will protect those cheap decals and give it a nice shine!

Thanks and Fly low!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
I have an Airfield 64mm F18 that was a little weak on 3s. I have 4s in 1300 to 2200. Put a 40A ESC in last night and flew it today on 4s, 1300, 1600 then a 2200! It was gusting to 20 mph and it tracked real nice with the 2200. I'm guessing it is approaching 90- 100 mph WOT! I can run 4-7 minutes and it goes fine on 75% power. The 3s in these 64mm EDFs are just a tad underpowered. I have the Peaks Pitts by Dynam running the same batteries so inventory isn't a problem. If your in the market for a nice, inexpensive, well performing biplane get that Peaks, just follow the thread on the mods (about 2 hours of tweaks but well worth it) . It handled the gusty winds just fine too! I've been eying the other Freewing models at Valuehobby.com They have a nice lineup.

Additional tweaks on the Stinger- cut the vents out larger to cool the ESC and angle them so it gets good flow. My stock Esc was hot to the touch after a 3 minute flight with a 3s 1600 30c batt running 75% to WOT). Also a couple coats of latex spray clear coat (from Michaels) will protect those cheap decals and give it a nice shine!

Thanks and Fly low!
4s is so much better than 3s so I would go ahead with it especially if you already have the lipos. I use 4s2350's....Don's wicked 4000 and a Castle Ice Lite 50A....85-90mph for sure...probably not 100 though!....(maybe on a fresh pack and a dive ...LOL)
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:49 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Stock 3s on the Stinger or 4s? Thinking 4s.
All set for Vertical Takeoff! Fun maneuver that the guys in the club get a kick out of. Me too!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:56 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
746 Posts
6 more flights yesterday. Around 55 degrees and 5 mph winds. Still having fun with the stinger. Knife edge passes across the field all day long. The only thing slowing me down is the need for more lipos and of course...dinner.....
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:43 AM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
312 Posts
Maidenend my Stinger this weekend. A lot of fun indeed.
I fly it with the HK/Lander alloy DF unit, 40A ESC and 2200mAh 4S. Seems perfect for this plane.

The maiden was uneventful but on the first flight I very soon saw that I needed DR/expo..it was VERY touchy. I took off as I usually do with my Funjet giving it a decent throw on about 60% throttle. That was not perfect, but the next time I gave it about 70-80% and just a little push and it was steady as a rock.

I must also say that this kit is of very high quality !
Everything fits great and seems sturdy. Hard smooth EPO as well. The only little flaw is the weak decals, but that is nothing that bugs me much.

Great plane but absolutely no beginners model. DO NOT get this one unless you can fly a fast sport model.
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:47 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,575 Posts
Daggad,
Your statement is a little generalizing. I bought it as my first EDF after only a few months learning to fly a high wing trainer. I did have someone take over the first couple of times, but after that, I found it to be a great first timer EDF.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:31 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
312 Posts
Yes I might have been to quick to state that NCRealEstateGuy. If you have helpers as you had it could be fine as a second sport model in stock version.
It is far from impossible to fly, but my Funjet is more stable and do not drop the nose as easily in turns. Another ting to consider is that the Stinger is small, fast and it is easy to loose orientation.
But excellent EDF trainer I suppose...it is my first EDF !
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad