HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:05 AM
ILLSMOQ
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad View Post
I ordered the Stinger yesterday and have a few questions. In addition to the PNF version I got this alloy EDF unit for an upgrade:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21147
And also a new ESC:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2165
I have a plush 60A at home, but was thinking space and weight so got the 40A as well.

So for the questions:
Is it easy to change to the upgrades later on, or should I do it now ? I was thinking of getting the feel of the plane with stock setup first and 3S batteries.
I have read that the stickers fall of easily. How is it to remove these (I hate when the decals are already on the planes !) if I want to paint it my way ?
Just go 4 cell from the start. People seem to have a harder time making this fly on 3 cell power than 4 cell power. Make sure the cg is right. I run a 2200 45c turnigy 4 cell . You my want to try a 1800 to keep it lighter. Skip the little grips in the bottom of the wing to launch it. Grip it from the fuselage like a foot ball just behind the wing, full throttle, and throw it like a football at an upward angle. Perfect launch everytime.

The plush is a nice controller, you should be able to slide it into the channel at the top of the RX compartment just behind the canopy.

I also put all the servos on their own channel on the RX so I could mix in some (very little) aileron with the elevator to increase the elevator action.
KURTIST is offline Find More Posts by KURTIST
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
ILLSMOQ
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Cool!
What mAh battery, and how long are your flight times on 4S?
2200 45c turnigy, I get about 2.5 to 3 minutes at mostly full throttle longer if I can keep the speed down
KURTIST is offline Find More Posts by KURTIST
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:35 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KURTIST View Post
Just go 4 cell from the start. People seem to have a harder time making this fly on 3 cell power than 4 cell power. Make sure the cg is right. I run a 2200 45c turnigy 4 cell . You my want to try a 1800 to keep it lighter. Skip the little grips in the bottom of the wing to launch it. Grip it from the fuselage like a foot ball just behind the wing, full throttle, and throw it like a football at an upward angle. Perfect launch everytime.

The plush is a nice controller, you should be able to slide it into the channel at the top of the RX compartment just behind the canopy.

I also put all the servos on their own channel on the RX so I could mix in some (very little) aileron with the elevator to increase the elevator action.
Thank you very much, will follow your good advice !
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDon View Post
That is very true but just because you're taking the heat away by cooling doesn't mean longer flight times. The electronics is still generating the same amount of heat, it's just not hanging around and doing damage.
By longer flight times, I mean the batteries will have a longer lifespan. The electronics get pretty hot in the summer, due to the Stinger's cramped fuse. Moving the esc keeps things cooler. Cooler lipo=lower IR= more lipo cycles.
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
Tennessee
Joined Dec 2005
186 Posts
Ordered the Stinger today. Should be here by Monday. Does the leading edge of wings or nose need taped before maiden? I have read through most of the thread. I don't remember seeing a lot of issues or things that need to be done before first flight. I am going to keep everything stock for now and maiden with a 3s1800. Any specifics as far as CG goes with this size lipo?
joallen001 is offline Find More Posts by joallen001
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
joallen001,

A little tape on the leading edge of the wings is always a good idea, I do this on all foamies. I also fly with Thunder Power 1800s and place them as close to the nose, against the foam ledge, as possilble with velcro. Hand launch at full power into the wind, should be good to go. Just tame down those ailerons. The CG on mine is a little more forward than the manual states, it flies just fine. have fun!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:13 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KURTIST View Post
2200 45c turnigy, I get about 2.5 to 3 minutes at mostly full throttle longer if I can keep the speed down
Ouch. I'm sure the extra power with 4S is mucho fun (the VTO sure is!) but for the time being I'll stick with the stock set-up and 2.2A 3S with ~5 minutes flight time. It's no speed demon but flies very well IMO, and is kinda sorta "scale".
If I didn't already have an insanely fast Radjet pusher-prop to scare the crap out of me I'd probably be itching for a faster Stinger Jet :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by joallen001 View Post
Ordered the Stinger today. Should be here by Monday. Does the leading edge of wings or nose need taped before maiden? I have read through most of the thread. I don't remember seeing a lot of issues or things that need to be done before first flight. I am going to keep everything stock for now and maiden with a 3s1800. Any specifics as far as CG goes with this size lipo?
If I didn't give mine a few coats of polyurathane first probably would have taped the LE, but the grass at my field was long and soft enough that even with bare foam she probably wouldn't have been scratched (10 for 10 on nice, gentle landings even in some pretty stiff winds!).
I followed the board's advice on cg, about 70mm back from the front corner of the wing root, and she flies super nice.

edit: supercollider gives good advice above. Follow that and don't sweat it, she wants to fly!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:17 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
Thanks Kurt. I have been having a lot of fun with this one. Not sure what it is but this is my fist pick when I go flying. I was thinking of ordering a second one and giving it a paint job. Something like an AMX. Hobby lobby has them for $120 with mg servos. Would love to see the Stinger a little bigger, like 70mm.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
After cartwheeling my stinger into ditches and flying into treetops, I thought I'd bring new life to it. I just placed my order for these items.

Don's Wicked 4000kv
EDO Type 1 Fan
HK Blueseries 50A ESC
4s 2200mah

I can't wait!
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:37 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
(Exciting music, movie dark narrator voice: )

You've always wanted it,

You've all been waiting for it,

You've always needed it,

And now it's finally here!!!

No more hand launch agony!!!!

The next thing in RC accomplishments,

And YOU can be part of it!

Go check it out at your local dealer TODAY!!!

http://vimeo.com/46928938

have fun!
Stock 3s on the Stinger or 4s? Thinking 4s.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:46 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
Don't write off 3s, is's pretty quick stock. Give it a few flights stock and then go to 4s. That way you'll have something to compare it to.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Don't write off 3s, is's pretty quick stock. Give it a few flights stock and then go to 4s. That way you'll have something to compare it to.
+1, after 10 flights I'm still enjoying the stock config with 3S, but of course am thinking about 4S....

Anyone using this motor (and what fan?):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18543

Turnigy L2855-2800
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Stock 3s on the Stinger or 4s? Thinking 4s.
What other jets have you flown on 4s? If this would be your first one, then 3s will be decent to start with. Also cheaper and lighter. If you are accustomed to 4s and already have the gear and lipos then why not
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:33 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Anyone using this motor (and what fan?):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18543

Turnigy L2855-2800
scratch that, searched the thread for "Turnigy" and saw someone else has successfully used the 4800kv 2815, and was placing an order at HK for a few other things so threw one in the cart
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10923
also a 7blade fan, and housing since it was cheap:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4846
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10586

The landing gear arrived from HK yesterday so hot-glued them on. Hopefully will get to try ROG this saturday.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:22 AM
USA, MO, Poplar Bluff
Joined Dec 2010
5 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a stock collet for the fan?
thanks
Don
poplharris is offline Find More Posts by poplharris