HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,973 Posts
No problems whatsoever launching with a 2200, even with my laughably weak left-handed throwing ability :P
At WOT she just accelerated away, wings level and nose slightly up, couldn't ask for more. Flying level inverted does require a decent amount of down elevator, so she's probably a tad nose heavy (and will be more once the gear go on), but all 6 take-offs so far have been drama free.
Setting the timer for 5 minutes is where I'll probably stay. That requires ~1500mAh to be put back into the 2200 pack. Could probably push it to 6 but that's stressing the Nano-Techs pretty good.

Yesterday I took her up in 10 gusting to 25 winds, with some trepidation, but other than some pronounced tail wagging and more care (i.e. throttle) turning into the wind she did great.
Thanks, she is a great looking plane!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,068 Posts
ncrealestateguy,

yes it does fly great in the wind, just keeps you on your toes all the time. You can't take your eyes off it for a second, especially when banked for a turn.

I flew this morning and on my 3rd flight I caught the nose just right on the landing, not sure what I did, just felt like the grass grabbed it like glue. It spun around 180* and the nose cracked at the tip. 2 drops of gorilla glue should do the trick. No foam was compressed so it should be an easy fix. Does anyone have any suggestions to slicken the bottom of the fuse? It seems that when the grass is a little damp it really grabs the plane when landing. Our field is maintained well, cut short and watered.
thanks.
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
ILLSMOQ
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Stinger vto

tried verticle take off the other day...worked out so good it's the only way I launch it now

Stinger Vertical Takeoffs HD (0 min 49 sec)

mercury 64mm edf 4700
castle ice light 100
turnigy 4 cell 45c

first attempt is a stock stinger on 3 cells
KURTIST is offline Find More Posts by KURTIST
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
Australia, QLD, Rubyanna
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
smart phone for crap

I updated my HTC now I can't post pics and few other abnormalities ,bit like me.
frogforce is offline Find More Posts by frogforce
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
457 Posts
I am thinking of getting me one of these. If I get one and update the ESC, will the motor survive a 4s setup ?
Or should I just change the fan/motor from the start ?
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
ILLSMOQ
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2004
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad View Post
I am thinking of getting me one of these. If I get one and update the ESC, will the motor survive a 4s setup ?
Or should I just change the fan/motor from the start ?
Yes I used an 1800 4 cell with a 50 amp ESC on the stock fan for a while untill I needed to go faster
KURTIST is offline Find More Posts by KURTIST
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Tennessee
Joined Dec 2005
186 Posts
I am thinking I am going to go ahead and place an order for the Stinger PNF from hobbyking. Are there any specifics I should go ahead and order with it? This will be my first EDF. Lots of good information on this thread. I am sure I need to keep things simple for now.
joallen001 is offline Find More Posts by joallen001
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joallen001 View Post
I am thinking I am going to go ahead and place an order for the Stinger PNF from hobbyking. Are there any specifics I should go ahead and order with it? This will be my first EDF. Lots of good information on this thread. I am sure I need to keep things simple for now.

This is my first EDF, and i've only flown a bixler, hobbyking miniswift and a PZ trojan (twice) before it. I fly with a stock motor, esc and run a 1800mah 3S. My maiden was a non event, launch was as simple as its gets. Running a 1800mah keeps the plane very light giving the plane the best chance to get up away, however, minimal flights times are the only downside (3 mins). Many guys run 2200 3S and have the same success with the stock setup.

Would highly suggest a radio that you can set dual rates and expo on, as this thing will be upside down before you know it, very touchy on the ailerons. Shes very stable and glides well for landings (i dont use LG). But i read through this forum from page one before i bought one to get the best idea of what i was getting myself into, but now, iam so very happy that i have one sitting in my hanger!

Hope this helps!
Chlewi is offline Find More Posts by Chlewi
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,068 Posts
The stock esc will get very hot and there isn't much room in the fuse for the lipo, esc, and rx. Try mounting the esc on the outside of the inlet duct, using the vents to run your batt wires through. This will keep the esc cool and you will have more room in the fuse to keep the battery cool. With electronic equipment heat equals wasted energy and inefficiency, shorter flight times. I fly with 1800s to keep the weight down and it has better verticle than with 2200s. I agree that it is very touchy on the ailerons so I fly with 40% throw and 65% expo. Flies very smooth and scale like. I keep the rudder at 100% throw with 40% expo for knife edge passes. Elevator is set at 70% throw with 45% expo. A power upgrade would be fun, but now that the habu 2 airframe is available, well there are only so many hours in the day.

Keep that nose strait.....
Last edited by supercollider; Sep 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Tennessee
Joined Dec 2005
186 Posts
I have a futaba 8fg so I will be able to setup dual rates and expo. Seems like everyone runs a little something different with rates and expo. I will go ahead and order a 3s 1800 with the plane. I have several 2200's but I will get the feel of the plane with the 1800 first. As far as the servos and linkage is everything good? Any reinforcements needed?
joallen001 is offline Find More Posts by joallen001
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,068 Posts
joallen001,

I ordererd mine from hobbylobby, it came with mg servos, not sure about other suppliers. One of my aileron linkages was not centered, no big deal, just a few turns of the clevis. Other than that it's pretty solid but, as with any mass produced arf just go over everything twice. I have flown with 2200s but I think it performs better with 1800s, maybe it's the altitude here- 4200 feet. Guys at the club say the air is thinner here and they stress less weight. Not sure if it matters on an edf though. Just be a little cautious with the aileron throws. At 100% it will roll borderline violent. Just my opinion. All in all for the money, it's a great buy.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:49 AM
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Joined Dec 2007
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
[SNIP]
With electronic equipment heat equals wasted energy and inefficiency, shorter flight times.
[SNIP]
That is very true but just because you're taking the heat away by cooling doesn't mean longer flight times. The electronics is still generating the same amount of heat, it's just not hanging around and doing damage.
BikerDon is offline Find More Posts by BikerDon
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:26 AM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
457 Posts
I ordered the Stinger yesterday and have a few questions. In addition to the PNF version I got this alloy EDF unit for an upgrade:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21147
And also a new ESC:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2165
I have a plush 60A at home, but was thinking space and weight so got the 40A as well.

So for the questions:
Is it easy to change to the upgrades later on, or should I do it now ? I was thinking of getting the feel of the plane with stock setup first and 3S batteries.
I have read that the stickers fall of easily. How is it to remove these (I hate when the decals are already on the planes !) if I want to paint it my way ?
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:25 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KURTIST View Post
tried verticle take off the other day...worked out so good it's the only way I launch it now
Cool!
What mAh battery, and how long are your flight times on 4S?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad View Post
I have read that the stickers fall of easily. How is it to remove these (I hate when the decals are already on the planes !) if I want to paint it my way ?
The silver stripes and black stickers are indeed weak.
I brushed a couple coats of Minwax water-based polyurathane before her maiden (and removed a couple of the "stinger" stickers) and so far so good.