SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:38 PM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
[QUOTE=Maddmax;22738556]My last crash I believe was caused due to pilot error!!! I zigged when I should have zagged!!! Stuff happens.

Ive stuffed up many times by flying into the sun and become disorientated and i can live with my bad flying, but this Stinger crash was way up in the air and just lost all response to it
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,588 Posts
I wonder if it just because there is very little room for all the electronics in the Stinger causing either overheating or interference to the receiver from the ESC or BEC etc. Everything crammed into that little space is a recipe for trouble.
So maybe more careful layout would be a cure.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:54 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
I wonder if it just because there is very little room for all the electronics in the Stinger causing either overheating or interference to the receiver from the ESC or BEC etc. Everything crammed into that little space is a recipe for trouble.
agree always mount esc and rx as far away from each other as possible, fly within the limits of your esc ground test and be confident you will fly another day. do I sound like the back pages of an instruction manual sorry but the most important part of my flight is a happy landing
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:00 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
You can find the parts at Banana Hobby
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
Yeh probably right! Pretty cramped space in there. Just set up Bixler 2 and its got heaps of room
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
You can find the parts at Banana Hobby
Ok thanks, ill have a look.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
35 Posts
Rito fellas, finally got a chance to maiden my stinger today, and overall was a huge success. thrown into the wind, full throttle and she was up and away and so straight off the bat. only a few clicks of down trim were needed. flew for a good 3 mins, glided in for a slow landing into the wind. Aileron control was still touchy running both 50% rates and 50% expo, but will just take some practice to fly more confidently. I used a 1800mah pack which was fairly warm but well within reason, and now iam just going to have to buy more packs! Couldnt be happier! will post pics in the next few days!
Chlewi is offline Find More Posts by Chlewi
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:07 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,873 Posts
excellent job Chlewi!

I had the same success yesterday with a maiden.
Tossing her in the air with my left had felt incredibly awkward but she just accelerated off, dead straight and level like a champ on WOT.

Agree on the rates - for the maiden set them at 50/80%, 40/90%, 30/100% and even on low she snapped off rolls VERY fast. So on second flight I moved the aileron links to the outer control horn holes and that allowed nice, easy slow rolls on 1 or 2 still with quick ones at full deflection.

She's not super quick like my radjet, but most impressive is the ROAR going by. Very nice handling at low speeds at well.

Did 4 flights with 3S 2200 packs, as stated she uses about 300mAh/minute so 1500 burned in a 5 minute flight.
Can't wait to go up again!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Last edited by Kurt; Sep 16, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
Glow? What is that?
South Africa, FS, Bloemfontein
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
excellent job Chlewi!

I had the same success yesterday with a maiden.
Tossing her in the air with my left had felt incredibly awkward but she just accelerated off, dead straight and level like a champ on WOT.

Agree on the rates - for the maiden set them at 50/80%, 40/90%, 30/100% and even on low she snapped off rolls VERY fast. So on second flight I moved the aileron links to the outer control horn holes and that allowed nice, easy slow rolls on 1 or 2 still with quick ones at full deflection.

She's not super quick like my radjet, but most impressive is the ROAR going by. Very nice handling at low speeds at well.

Did 4 flights with 3S 2200 packs, as stated she uses about 300mAh/minute so 1500 burned in a 5 minute flight.
Can't wait to go up again!

What u mean with the rates 50/80% etc....?
Blizards316 is offline Find More Posts by Blizards316
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizards316 View Post
What u mean with the rates 50/80% etc....?
low/med/high dual rates:
expo 50, d/r 80% etc

I typically leave the elevator and rudder on med, only changing the aileron a time or two during a flight.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
978 Posts
The Stinger flies good strait at low speed, however you have to maintain speed in the turns perhaps a little more than other edfs. It will nose down and spiral if too slow. You can try this carefully at a safe altitude. Also the wind will flip it inverted if turning too slow in a crosswind(ask me how i know). It can be a little sensitive due to its size but it is a great flyer. And sounds great doing high speed passes. Club members ask me "Is that a habu?" I tell them no but for 100 bucks you cant go wrong with it.

happy landings.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,840 Posts
Supercollider,
I flew mine Sat. in not only windy conditions, but it was turbulent as heck. I was doing a crosswind turn and not even slow. But it was over top of a hedge row of very tall white pines. The turbulence off of the hedge roww flipped my stinger completely over and I had no authority for what seemed like a full second. At about 50 feet above the ground, I flipped it back over.
But overall, this is the one plane I fly more when it is windy.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:22 AM
Glow? What is that?
South Africa, FS, Bloemfontein
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
@Kurt:

Thanks for the explanation...

In my opinion: you are increasing her twitchy-ness by reducing the EXPO with an increase of RATES...

I do the following:
FM1: 50%Rate 30%Expo
FM2: 70%Rate 35%Expo
FM3: 90%Rate 40%Expo

It should equate to the same deflection on the control surface for approx quarter displacement of the TX Stick regardless of the FlightMode setting.

And only change at the extremities of the TX Stick deflection.

IMHO....

If that makes sense...
Blizards316 is offline Find More Posts by Blizards316
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,873 Posts
Blizzard - thanks for that, I do follow your reasoning and think that indeed may be the "better" way to fly.

What I'm doing it now is using Low or Medium for "graceful cruising" mode, and flipping to High for fast transitions i.e. "twitchier" flying.

Will give your set-up a go next time to see how I like it!
cheers
Kurt
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Jul 2012
35 Posts
Hey Kurt, did you have any trouble on launch using a 3S 2200mah? i've just purchased 2 Turnigy 3S 2200s for my 1400mm FMS cessna, but was thinking on throwing one in the stinger before i change over connectors (i use dean connections in everything but the stinger). My launch was very simple and easy with an 3S 1800mah on my maiden, but i would like longer flight times be able to get use to flying it. I've just read through this forum that a few blokes have had a little difficulty getting a smooth launch using the stock fan, motor and esc using 3S 2200s.

Cheers!

P.s, Love the photos mates! Ferrari decals are a very nice touch!
Chlewi is offline Find More Posts by Chlewi
Last edited by Chlewi; Sep 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM.