HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:40 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,596 Posts
They are not retracts just undercarriage.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:46 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
They are not retracts just undercarriage.
thanks, I knew that must have had retracts on the mind
post edited.

Speaking of gear, I have a set of these to be fitted to my P-38 over the winter. Probably a bit too heavy for the Stinger, but now on sale for $11 (for a set of 3) from Hobbypartz is an unreal deal

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exi-jet-me...ndgearset.html
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
Thanks. Yes, the stinger & most of the gear is on order. The autopilot oscillations were due to bad airspeed measurement and scaling. There's more info on my diydrones blog page. The concept was to start in manual, switch to auto which didabled the servos, have the plane drop itself or sense freefall & cutaway. The plane was to return to launch and loiter down to an altitude where it could be visually controlled. The next version will have minimal fpv to handle the off nominal case where the plane is close to the tracking vehicle but not yet visually acquired.
busadriver is offline Find More Posts by busadriver
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I wonder how many would be interested in a larger version of the Stinger. I'm starting the process to make a slightly larger version in FG, for a 70mm fan. The new metal fan from HK might do well in this larger airframe. It will also have built up wings and stab, or hollow molded wings and stab for lightness. I'm planning on a light layup with CF in strategic locations for strength, while keep the frame light. It's not gonna be ready overnight, but should be well underway and finished during the winter months.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'll also work on a better wing profile to tame the nastiness out of it during power off maneuvers. I'm thinking the upturned wingtips will have to go, but we'll see.

Rich
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I really don't think there's a problem with the orange rx.
Agreed... I use orange receivers in 16 of my 18 planes. I only use the orange satellites in the very fast and larger airplanes. The other 2 planes use Spektrum with satellites that came with my radios. Been flying with the oranges for about 18 months and had zero problems. The only time I've ever had loss of control issues (once and on the Stinger), it was due to an ESC meltdown. I regularly fly a 110mph SkyFun Jet on an Orange w/satellite, almost as far as I can see and have never lost control. Guess this debate will always exist, but truth be told, I've seen just as many stories about Spektrum failures as I have Orange failures. I just always say, "To each his own". As for me, I'll always use whatever gives the best bang for the buck and lets just say there's a lot of variety in my hangar thanks to the $ I've saved on radio equipment.

Anyway, I got a balanced 4000 plus combo from Don's and am finally about to install it with a thrust tube. Going to run 4s 2200. Looking forward to the re-maiden with the new setup (if I could just decide where to put the 60a esc!).
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
The RED filters through
Rendon, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I wonder how many would be interested in a larger version of the Stinger. I'm starting the process to make a slightly larger version in FG, for a 70mm fan. The new metal fan from HK might do well in this larger airframe. It will also have built up wings and stab, or hollow molded wings and stab for lightness. I'm planning on a light layup with CF in strategic locations for strength, while keep the frame light. It's not gonna be ready overnight, but should be well underway and finished during the winter months.

Similar to this?
RedTalon is offline Find More Posts by RedTalon
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:09 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Nah, that's a Habu clone. Ugly duckling. LOL.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:46 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizards316 View Post
I would like to hear opinions on the retracts. Thickness of the wing for the retract unit?!? What u okes think?

I have now done approx 10 skid ons onto tarmac. And the plastic skids wont really do anymore. They chafe through quick. Was think to put uluminium shaped skids over or onto the plastic skids. Just small plates but dunno... Opinions on the retracts?
try pieces of huge try raps for those skids , we hot glue them on and they last forever.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:28 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,931 Posts
very interesting Busa - please stop by here every once in a while and let us know how it's going!

Today my Stinger arrived - took all of about 30 minutes to assemble, including swapping out the dean's battery plug for an XT60.
Impressive power out of the big EDF - but then again it's my first EDF so I don't have anything to compare it to
Too windy today to maiden, hopefully this weekend.
What's the consensus for protecting the foam - clear tape on the leading edges? Anyone try painting theirs with clear polyurathane?
The LG just shipped from HK so it'll be a few weeks until they arrive - for the for few packs she'll be landing in fairly thick grass so would like to keep her as clean and straight as possible.
thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:59 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
very interesting Busa - please stop by here every once in a while and let us know how it's going!

Today my Stinger arrived - took all of about 30 minutes to assemble, including swapping out the dean's battery plug for an XT60.
Impressive power out of the big EDF - but then again it's my first EDF so I don't have anything to compare it to
Too windy today to maiden, hopefully this weekend.
What's the consensus for protecting the foam - clear tape on the leading edges? Anyone try painting theirs with clear polyurathane?
The LG just shipped from HK so it'll be a few weeks until they arrive - for the for few packs she'll be landing in fairly thick grass so would like to keep her as clean and straight as possible.
thanks!
Yes, I've got some HK Fibre tape on leading edges and on its belly .. and also, some small wing skids as well.

Just make sure CG is around 70-72mm from leading edge and launch into the wind on FULL throttle ... and be ready to counter that left torque roll ... good luck with the maiden!
protoplasmia is offline Find More Posts by protoplasmia
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:01 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,293 Posts
protecting the foam

it's the nose that will go first, I got a dozen happy landings before I caught the nose in some longish grass, during what was a good dead stick landing. I was maybe coming in a tad quick, nothing that should be a prob only the nose caught in a tuft of grass, the softest of breaks, the nose was still hanging on by the glue. So I figured I'd snubb nose mine, used a polyurathane glue which did react with the foam, make sure you test, but did go hard in the end. Also some carbon fibers, for strength, now I have a bearded stinger looks terrible, could be finished of with some paint etc.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:07 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,931 Posts
Thanks Proto and Brendan.

I do plan on beefing up the nose and front fuse with some CF, like I did on my radjet in the pic below.

How are y'all securing the battery pack? I plan to use 3S 2.2A 25C+ packs I already have, and it seems a bit crowded in there. Putting the pack on top of the ESC, pushed back allows space for the RX in front, but then the battery has to go in first then the RX so it means regular stress on the servo plugs in the RX taking it out, and in etc.

The control surfaces seem to be pretty well centered out of the box. Will probably have someone else give it the first toss (full throttle, thanks for that reminder ) since I haven't mastered the left-handed throw.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
35 Posts
ive doubled sided taped my receiver to the wall above the ESC. looks real tidy and away from the battery so no stress on the wires what so ever. However, iam using a 1800mah 3S, and my CG has worked out at about 75-78mm back from leading edge and this is probably a little too far back, so i may have to add some nose weight. Yet to maiden so we'll see how she is.
Chlewi is offline Find More Posts by Chlewi
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlewi View Post
ive doubled sided taped my receiver to the wall above the ESC. looks real tidy and away from the battery so no stress on the wires what so ever. However, iam using a 1800mah 3S, and my CG has worked out at about 75-78mm back from leading edge and this is probably a little too far back, so i may have to add some nose weight. Yet to maiden so we'll see how she is.
Balance wIth mAh... A 2200mAh Lipo would be ideal
Alpha10 is online now Find More Posts by Alpha10