HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Funny thing, I ran mine on 4s today as well and a few minutes into the flight it did the same thing as Bruces' plane. Nosed over, got partial control back just as it nosed full speed into the ground. I managed to get all the pieces to the plane back but lost a brand new 2200 4s battery. It ejected out somewhere after crashing and I could not locate it in the tall grass.

Was it the 60A esc giving out or the orange rx with satelite taking a dump??? The esc is mounted in the left nacelle for cooling so I'm really not sure.

Got it back home and discovered that my brand new Dons Wicked 4000kv motor completely destroyed the fan on impact. Several of the blades from the fan were actually stuck into the bottom of the wing. It was a really hard impact!!! After about an hour and a lot of glue later, it's back together. I'll be ordering replacement fan shortly.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:06 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,586 Posts
I notice that HK have some Orange RX's on sale for $3+ I wonder if they have been seeing a problem. This is one item I am not will to save money on and will continue to use Spektrum
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:52 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
I notice that HK have some Orange RX's on sale for $3+ I wonder if they have been seeing a problem. This is one item I am not will to save money on and will continue to use Spektrum
No it's just a sales promotion - you can only order 1 Orange TX at a time so it's a bit of a trick to get you to order other things
Still with only $3.99 shipping, $7 is still a heck of a buy (though you should add $11 for the satellite as well.).

I've got over 100 flights with 4 planes, all using Orange 6ch RX + satellite with no glitches whatsoever, and have a 5th ready to go in the Stinger when it arrives.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Jul 2012
18 Posts
hey guys,

I just put together a couple of videos on the stock setup and felt like sharing.

We're flying 3300's 3S nano tech's and have moderate wind most of the time.

Decided to put on some music over the sound of the fan for 11 minutes.

I was surprised at how smooth the plane flew with little expo. The ESC went bezerk after about 10 flights on those 3300 batteries. Still have to figure out if it was actually the ESC or the motor.

The kit just asks for a new fan/motor/esc combo, very well built and thought.

Hope you guys like the video

Alex

PS: Just realized youtube did some weird stabilization thing on the video that totally distorted it. I tried to re-upload it but i have no idea how to turn of th stabilization thing.

Any ideas?

PS2:You can see the wings bend really hard at about 7.00 min onwards, I didn't even notice that in flight.

Stinger 64 Stock Setup (11 min 26 sec)
warbirdzzz is offline Find More Posts by warbirdzzz
Last edited by warbirdzzz; Sep 07, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:07 AM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
What transmitter are you using?
Do you do range checks (I don't, but should...)
I am using a DX6I and i do range checks occasionally. In comparison i can walk away nearly twice as far with the original Spektrum ( with satellite ) as opposed to the Orange with satellite .
Distance doesn't seem to be the problem as i have had glitches as close as 15metres away from me.
I am going to cover all bases and just ordered a linear BEC and will run the planes with a separate battery for the receiver.
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
[QUOTE=Maddmax;22662670]Funny thing, I ran mine on 4s today as well and a few minutes into the flight it did the same thing as Bruces' plane. Nosed over, got partial control back just as it nosed full speed into the ground. I managed to get all the pieces to the plane back but lost a brand new 2200 4s battery. It ejected out somewhere after crashing and I could not locate it in the tall grass.

Was it the 60A esc giving out or the orange rx with satelite taking a dump??? The esc is mounted in the left nacelle for cooling so I'm really not sure.

I think we need a black box flight recorder in these!
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:15 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
agree, when you loose a plane the cost of a three dollar rx turns out to be quite expensive. I made a rule to fly within the confines of the park I fly at with an orange rx, and only cheap slow flying planes, sure enough brown out and no response and the little cessna ended up in a tree. hours waisted retrieving the damaged plane when I could have been flying. can't imagine flying anything fast and having no control
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:33 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,211 Posts
The 6ch Orange rx I bought has no range at all. Even at 3 bucks, it seems a waste of money to me. The 9ch rx I bought works fine though.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have 9 orange RXs in all of my planes and never an issue. The spektrum ar6200 and ar7000 I used in the past all quit working or simply won't bind anymore. I really can't complain about the orange RX. Maybe I have a bad one in the jet???
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:13 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,258 Posts
Are any of you guys who are having problems with Orange Rx with satalite using a DSMX satalite by any chance?
Orange is DSM2. I'm sure I read somewhere that DSM2 Rx's are not compatible with DSMX satalites, they need the older DSM2 satalites...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
35 Posts
Fellas, so the stinger has arrived, although it is way to windy here at the moment to give her a maiden. However, i used my CG stand to get an idea of where it was sitting. My CG seems to be about 3/4 of the way back from the front of the finger holes (approx. 80mm). Now ill be running a 1800mah 3s, is this CG too far back? The battery is as far forward as it will go without cutting anything away and the receiver is directly above where the ESC is, double-sided to the wall of the fuselage. Any thoughts on this? Or should this be no problem? I have read that an ideal GC is about 70mm - 75mm.

Cheers
Chlewi is offline Find More Posts by Chlewi
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I really don't think there's a problem with the orange rx.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:13 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I really don't think there's a problem with the orange rx.
Agreed. I'm just saying that if using a satellite then I think it has to be a DSM2 version...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:36 PM
Glow? What is that?
South Africa, FS, Bloemfontein
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
I run 10 planes all with R610 with not 1 problem. Mostly run 700mah life batts into seperate channel.
I fly mine @72mm CG. 75mm might work but she will keep u busy. She is gonna be very responsive in pitch.
Blizards316 is offline Find More Posts by Blizards316
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Agreed. I'm just saying that if using a satellite then I think it has to be a DSM2 version...
The Hobbyking one does say DSM2 compatible but does mention DSS