HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by networker View Post
T-minus 12 hours for NASA launches across the nation. A VTO movement is born!
Ive got the same setup.. I will wait for your launch and then try mine since our tarmac is less forgiving..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
Standard setup with 3300mAh 4s can't do it, it's too heavy!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
another more than 2200 is begging for trouble...as is running a 4S on stock setup.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Oct 2009
130 Posts
Quote:
Wish I knew. People asked several times in the YT comments, with no reply.
...Kinda makes it more of a challenge.
Look at post 1264
AlvaSpeed is online now Find More Posts by AlvaSpeed
Old May 01, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Dec 2007
533 Posts
Maiden tips

Well, the first 100 seconds in the air cost me 4(!) crashes...

until I figured out the CG is waaaaay off...

With the stock CG, the plane was insanely nose heavy, and since this was my first EDF, it took me a while (100 sec ) to figure out that flooring the speeder is the trick.

Anyway, Gorilla Glue and hot water are good friends in these situations, and since there aren't any vital parts in the front, you can get away with a lot of mischief.

Initially, I thought the weight was the issue (first 3 runs were with a Turnigy 2.2Ah 3S), but when I saw that Swiss(?) video of an OEM version running 1.3Ah packs, I thought I'll give it a try. The lower weight helped somewhat, but I still crashed due to the nose being too heavy.

The TRICK was to remove a bit of foam, and push the pack forward almost to half the length of the nose gear opening (with a larger pack, this won't be necessary). This yielded a CG 5mm BEHIND the throwing holes (I added a third one for the index finger too). Suddenly, the plane almost became a glider, lol! It flew great - floaty! - could be trimmed with a few clicks, tracked insanely well, it's very roll-happy (read, Throttle sensitive due to torque roll) but a pure joy to fly. I actually almost crashed it on the landing, due to overshooting despite cutting the throttle! Yes, it's THAT floaty with a 1.3Ah + right CG. I landed on an asphalt strip, luckily I had clipped off the the outer holes of the aileron servo horns, otherwise, it could have stripped the servos, I'm probably going to cut them even further as the landing skids wear down, as they do fairly fast on tarmac.

So, if you are an EDF noob and looking for maiden tips:

1: Set the CG 2-3mm BEHIND the throwing holes.

2: Use the smallest 3S lipo pack you have that can handle 30A comfortably.

3: You need FULL throttle for the launch on 3S.

4: You need lots of throw on the ailerons (to counter the torque roll the launch), but you also need expo/ or DR to tame the roll when up in speed. The elevator is not very responsive, lots of throw there too.

(5) Clip the outer most servo holes if you are going to land on a hard surface.

(6) Undo the clevis on every control surface, and give the hinges a GOOD workout. These are (very stiff) EPO hinges that are enforced with the plastic hinges...

(7) If you have a spare channel/ computer TX, set up a spoileron switch with some positive elevator, this will save your butt and the plane's nose if the plane is nose heavy.

gl

McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old May 01, 2012, 07:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
T-minus 12 hours for NASA launches across the nation. A VTO movement is born!
what happened o the NASA launch???
Old May 01, 2012, 09:48 AM
Today is a good day to fly.
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Good question! I'm still on stock gear and 3s. I'm watching from the bleachers until I get the right gear assembled.
networker is offline Find More Posts by networker
Old May 01, 2012, 10:42 AM
Just noticed I can change this
Toowoomba QLD, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
another more than 2200 is begging for trouble...as is running a 4S on stock setup.
I run turnigy 4s 2650's in mine. A 30c and a 40c pack. Fits like a glove, flies like a champion!

I have a 55A(I think) ESC in it though.

Just waiting for HK to get more of those 64mm lander fans in
Okisub is offline Find More Posts by Okisub
Old May 01, 2012, 11:11 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I had my blue stinger arrive yesterday and couldn't wait to get her airborn. I used a 3s 2200 25c G-force battery and it balanced perfectly. A couple of ticks of trim and it was grooving like a champ! I can't wait to get back after this plane and see how it performs when I'm not skirting the early morning low lying clouds/fog
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old May 01, 2012, 05:15 PM
Today is a good day to fly.
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Here's the specs on the VTO Stringer from 3Dehover for those unable to scroll back to post 1264 (Tapatalk, etc). ...and the video (again) for those just tuning in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dehover View Post
As this stinger's owner is a mate of mine, and the same setup i have apart from i run 3s (not for long as 4s 1700mAh Dualsky's the ticket)

This Stinger actually runs a V2 40 amp Dualsky ESC (should be a 60 amp! but no problems yet), E-flite DeltaV 480 4800Kv with modified stock freewing fan intake ring/lip etc. Runtime approx 2.5 - 3 mins. Pics show the rest.
Hobby King Stinger takes of vertically from the ground. (0 min 11 sec)
networker is offline Find More Posts by networker
Old May 01, 2012, 06:49 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I'm waiting on some new packs.(larger) The packs I had for the Stinger were destroyed on my most recent project. I put a HET6404 and a Hoffman MightyMite in my X-83 FlyJet and the GenAce 4S packs were not up to the task. One melted and the other went up in smoke. The reason I went for the second pack is because I tried throttle management, with no luck...
I may put a new set-up together for the 6404.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old May 01, 2012, 07:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Lol. I tood you the Hoffman needs better oacks.. And im telling you again. Go for the 65c nanotechs...
Why just ppl never listen
Old May 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,332 Posts
Well.....I am thinking that the whole set-up is not right. ( and the batt were too small) I may put a 2836 3700Kv on the 6404 and run 4S? Or get a 4000Kv from"Don" for it. I may use the Hoffman on smaller fan, just don't know what yet..
Old May 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
For those interested, reporting in on my Stinger's new 3s upgrade.

Fitted the Cyclone Power Turbojet 64 3S EDF 4500kv Power Unit(dynamicly balanced) received from PW-RC($60 to AUS)

After upgrading to Turnigy 40amp ESC, tested on wattmeter, showing at static after 15 seconds 360watts at 32 amps using a 3s1800mAH 30-40c battery.
Picked up about 14% extra power on stock, whilst not huge it is noticable. The main difference is that the new unit is very quiet and sounds super smooth. The unit is some 40grams heavier than stock so with that extra weight aft, also allows a larger battery if required up front. I though really like the feel with the 1800mAH.

Overall happy with the upgrade on 3s and now have the option to run on 4s with this combo and a larger ESC.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Last edited by bonnie9496; May 01, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 01, 2012, 08:12 PM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
For those interested, reporting in on my Stinger's new 3s upgrade.

Fitted the Cyclone Power Turbojet 64 3S EDF 4500kv Power Unit(dynamicly balanced) received from PW-RC($60 to AUS)

After uprading to Turnigy 40amp ESC, tested on wattmeter, showing at static after 15 seconds 360watts at 32 amps using a 3s1800mAH 30-40c battery.
Picked up about 14% extra power on stock, whilst not huge it is noticable. The main difference is that the new unit is very quiet and sounds super smooth. The unit is some 40grams heavier than stock so with that extra weight aft, also allows a larger battery if required up front. I though really like the feel with the 1800mAH.

Overall happy with the upgrade on 3s and now have the option to run on 4s with this combo and a larger ESC.
This is the set-up in my Stinger and 4S really bring it to life Also I run a 40 Amp ESC w/ 30+ flight and no issues. But a 50-60 may be safer depending on your ESC location for cooling.