HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2011, 03:36 PM
Lavishly Winged Dork
Miami, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
315 Posts
Help!
Needed: Mourning dove repellent

Does anybody know of a humane way to get rid of these pests?

I've got a pump action pellet gun that I've used on them with only 2 to 3 pumps with BB's and I've hit them repeatedly but they continue to return. I really don't want to have to pump the gun any further because it is not my intention to harm, injure or kill them. I was hoping that the BB impact would be enough to scare them away permanently but they don't seem to get the message.

I've tried spikes, repellent gel and that stupid owl but they keep coming back.

What I haven't tried:
*I've read about the "CD on a string" trick. Anyone have any experience with this?
*I've read about those ultrasonic sound repellents but I'm a little skeptical on it's effectiveness and quite reluctant on spending that kind of money on something that may not work. Anyone have any experience with this as well?
JohnnyDeluxe is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyDeluxe
Old May 24, 2011, 03:59 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,137 Posts
Get yourself one of these.
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old May 24, 2011, 04:03 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
Get yourself one of these.
Yep. That'll do it It's cool when they take them mid-flight - POOF - nothing but feathers.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Morning Dove Repellant? First, you have to consider what is attracting them. Does the place look like its owned by man or nature? Wildlife loves places where nature is winning. Spruce the place up using loud 2 cycle powered machinery and they'll start to get the message. The next step is a cat or even a dog. Yes, birds perceive dogs as threats and obviously cats too.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,137 Posts
Actually, at some of the BART (subway) stations in the Bay Area where there is a big pigeon problem, they have installed speakers that play the sound that a Peregrine Falcon makes. The first time I heard it, it really surprised me. I'm not sure how well it works since I still see plenty of pigeons around, but you might look into it.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old May 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDeluxe View Post

I've got a pump action pellet gun that I've used on them with only 2 to 3 pumps with BB's and I've hit them repeatedly but they continue to return. I really don't want to have to pump the gun any further because it is not my intention to harm, injure or kill them. I was hoping that the BB impact would be enough to scare them away permanently but they don't seem to get the message.

What I haven't tried:
*I've read about the "CD on a string" trick. Anyone have any experience with this?
*I've read about those ultrasonic sound repellents but I'm a little skeptical on it's effectiveness and quite reluctant on spending that kind of money on something that may not work. Anyone have any experience with this as well?
Johnny, by shooting at them with a BB gun you have put yourself afoul (no pun) of the law. You see, Mourning Doves are a migratory bird as recognized by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and as such what you're doing is considered poaching at worst and harassing wildlife at best. Even if you don't intend to kill the fines are horrendous.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old May 24, 2011, 04:13 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Saw this chap at Marylebone station in London last year. He was flying this hawk around the station, and there was not a pigeon in sight. Scared some Italian girls as it swooped in to land on his wrist and passed about a foot in front of them!

There is something very interesting about this bird (at least I find it interesting)- care to guess what? Apologies for the bad photo - mobile 'phone camera.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old May 24, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle View Post
Saw this chap at Marylebone station in London last year. He was flying this hawk around the station, and there was not a pigeon in sight. Scared some Italian girls as it swooped in to land on his wrist and passed about a foot in front of them!

There is something very interesting about this bird (at least I find it interesting)- care to guess what? Apologies for the bad photo - mobile 'phone camera.
I'm guessing it is not native to where you saw it? I see it, he's got some kind of radio control device.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:21 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDeluxe View Post

What I haven't tried:
You can try an owl statue. Those work a lot of times.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old May 24, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Ooops
Old May 24, 2011, 04:26 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
I'm guessing it is not native to where you saw it?
Indeedy. It's not even native to Europe - it's a Harris' Hawk from the US.

Very interesting raptors - they hunt in packs:
Harris's Hawk Cooperative Hunting (2 min 13 sec)

edit - ah, I see the antenna - I think that's a walky-talkie.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old May 24, 2011, 04:42 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,441 Posts
once they've decided your place is their home the only way to get rid of them is to kill off every last one. had to do it once, took out close to a hundred of the winged rats....and then the feral parakeets moved in...
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old May 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
Lavishly Winged Dork
Miami, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Morning Dove Repellant? First, you have to consider what is attracting them. Does the place look like its owned by man or nature? Wildlife loves places where nature is winning. Spruce the place up using loud 2 cycle powered machinery and they'll start to get the message.
That's what's puzzling me. As you can see, the area really isn't overgrown. The real problem areas are the top corners of the pergola. Don't know why but they seem drawn to the steel braided cables holding the curtains.

My neighbors yard (left of pic) is a dump. That's where the doves collect the various branches and wires to build their nest with. The doves won't nest in their yard 'cause they frequently smoke outside and the birds appear to be afraid of them. I've attempted to explain this to them but they've never been very receptive to me (or anyone else). Furthermore, they've discovered that my surveillance cameras contain fine wires within the cable housing so they've destroyed the camera's cables in order to use the fine wires within for their nest as well.

Anyways, as I mentioned, I've tried the spikes, gel and fake owl without much success. Has anyone used the CD's, an ultra-sonic device or anything else to get rid of these pests?
JohnnyDeluxe is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyDeluxe
Old May 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Can you set up a bird feeder away from the area that you don't want the birds?
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer