SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:46 AM
Antibes (FR)
Joined Jan 2010
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
What I hate even worse is that the hand grip part is so small. Whose hands were they expecting to fit the grip? My middle finger is tripping up the travel of the trigger, so I nipped off 3 mms off it
You ripped off 3mm of your middle finger ?

MaX.
HornetMaX is offline Find More Posts by HornetMaX
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:31 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
Took the bike to my closest (of 3!) mini-z tracks this morning...
In a word: Disaster! I CANNOT DRIVE the damn thing in the smallish track!
OK, here's the details! I started in the difficult track, which was also bigger, but filled with u-turns, which I simply could not negotiate... I guess with practice, it would be easier...

However, I tried two charges in the big track, also playing with the gyro settings. I finally gave up and tried the smaller track.

There the bike behaved a bit more consistently (the traction seemed to me the same in both tracks: excellent!). But... this smaller track, except for the 2.5m. long straight, was quite wide in the turns, suiting the bike a lot better...

So, no videos or pics, even though I drove there complete with camera on hat and photo-camera in hand...
Since there is no asphalt race this weekend, I may visit again, in the weekend!!! But only on the small track!

You can see some pics of the tracks, here:

http://minimaniax.blogspot.gr/2012/1...3-round-3.html
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMaX View Post
You ripped off 3mm of your middle finger ?

MaX.
Had to Max, but it was worth it! The little bikes are awsome!
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
Don't worry, Stelios -- you'll get it. Like with the bike bikes, it's all about timing and rhythm.

I installed the X-speed motor and soft tires in one of my bikes, but haven't been to the track yet to give it a run. Also have the bearing rollers and hard steering wire, as well as the aluminum wheels. So now I have one bike fully modded and one bike tuned, only with a custom steering wire.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
TopDave: There are two adjustment screws for the rear end, one for spring pre-load and another to limit swingarm extension. I haven't really messed with the lower one that does the swingarm extension, but have found that loosening the preload on the spring helps. It's way too tight out of the box.

Does this answer your question?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
I may fiddle a bit with the springs... And I definitely need those ball-bearing scratch bars, because the plastic ones tend to catch and drag very easily on the foam pads that the track surface is (it's official Kyosho mini-z material).
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
Stelios: The ball ones are fine on RCP track only if they have never seen asphalt. My MotoRacers are track only, so the plastic ball work great. But I couldn't resist the bearing rollers.

And definitely play with the springs; the front ones are have too much pre-load from the factory also.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
TopDave: There are two adjustment screws for the rear end, one for spring pre-load and another to limit swingarm extension. I haven't really messed with the lower one that does the swingarm extension, but have found that loosening the preload on the spring helps. It's way too tight out of the box.
Does this answer your question?
Kinda, lol. I searched the manual twice and still can't find the rear spring pre load
screw adjuster, altho I found where they talk about it, but don't show it. Must be up under the seat at the top of the spring, eh?
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
Took the bike to my closest (of 3!) mini-z tracks this morning...
In a word: Disaster! I CANNOT DRIVE the damn thing in the smallish track!
OK, here's the details! I started in the difficult track, which was also bigger, but filled with u-turns, which I simply could not negotiate... I guess with practice, it would be easier...
agreed ~ surprised at the learning curve with these little bikes, seems like still trying to find balance between barely staying up and leaning enough to turn smooth, not clean yet on track
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Kinda, lol. I searched the manual twice and still can't find the rear spring pre load
screw adjuster, altho I found where they talk about it, but don't show it. Must be up under the seat at the top of the spring, eh?
Exactly -- under the seat.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
Due to the gyro, I *think* this bike must be driven like the MM450!
Just yesterday, I read Lito's test in RCCA and in his describing the way to drive that bike, I was reading how to try and drive the moto racer in a track!!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:46 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,871 Posts
Yeah I too find it a little difficult to drive and put it where I want it, maybe we drive bikes without gyros that respond quicker but its fun trying, where you guys getting all your mods? I have just replaced all the bearings in the gyro very quite now, but what an odd size, 2 of them are 4mm O/D x 1.5 I/D x 1.16 mm wide
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:43 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
Steve: Yeah, driving any bike with a gyro is different than our regular road bikes. They respond slower, so you have to anticipate and coerce it more into doing what you want. Again, just a matter of timing and rhythm. I've had to replace one of the gyro bearings in my more used MotoRacer; this was before they were shipping here in the U.S., but fortunately my buddy at Kyosho had a couple of spares. Getting just the outer race of a broken bearing out of the swingarm isn't fun.

Whatever Bruce doesn't have I've been able to get from Banzai in Japan. I've got two bikes to support, so I'll eventually buy another of whatever I get from Banzai from Bruce anyway.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:44 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
I tried to fiddle a bit with spring tension last night... I realized the supplied allen key, cool as it may seem, with the ball end and all, is practically crap! I resorted to my trusty Robitronic 1.5mm allen tool with the biiiiiiiig handle (talk 25cm total length, actually one of the set that I use in the touring car and the BIG bikes!).
However, to reach the rear spring top screw, you have to first undo the seat and tank in that order.
Another area of tiny screws fiddling: You need a very good screwdriver for these, or they will just make the (+) on top of the screws more like a useless (*) !!!!
More testing on the weekend, then!
On other news, I have ran maybe 40-45 batteries already and the gyro still spins really nicely, no vibrations, or anything, as does the front wheel...
I found two "bad" assembly things: A red cable was slightly pinced under the tank screw. I made sure it's routed nearby but not under the tank/frame connection! The second one being an unglued hot-glue cable on the left side of the frame. A drop of CA fixed this too.

I also became a customer of Banzai! Two batteries, a set of steering springs and ball bearing scratchbars ordered... Hopefully here before NYE! The batteries, especially are a must to keep driving!!!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:02 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,871 Posts
Yeah they are a pain those screws, and so tight that hold the tank and seat unit on, I now am having trouble with the drive motor it sometimes gives me full power then slows down you can kind of hear it miss firing if you know what I mean if you hold it up to your ear,it will scream and then bog down and speed up again, checked the conectors it all looks fine? I have ordered a new X Speed motor and the steering wires from Banzai! I am on my 3rd steering wire as they keep breaking, think its the amount of wheel wobble that kills the wire I just cant stop it, tried taking the forks apart to shim the play out of them but even with the screws undone in the tripple clamps they will not come apart
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco