HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:58 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
Next Funscale Build About to Begin

Well the time has come and I am about to begin the next Funscale build in my tribute to the Centennial of Naval Aviation.

Subject for this next build is the F/A-18C Hornet.

I ordered an airframe only Starmax/Blitz RC Works 90mm F/A-18C in Jolly Roger scheme from Banana Hobby this morning.

I will build this plane as a pusher instead of as an EDF, because the 4 minute flight times are just too low for me.

Power will be courtesy of an E-Flite Power 25 and 9x?? pusher prop, driven by a Turnigy DLux 70A ESC. Juice will flow from Turnigy Nano-Tech 4S 3000mAh 25-50C battery. I expect 8-10 minute flight times.

I have ordered HXT-900 and HXT12K metal gear servos from Hobby King for the control surfaces.

Changes from the stock Starmax/Blitz RC Works kit will be flying tail (independently actuated by HXT12K metal gear servos), rotating retracts with semi scale struts (the X-Flight struts), flaps and slats, and drooping ailerons when the flaps are deployed.

I estimate flying weight at between 5 lbs and 5 lbs 4 oz.

I will also weather the plane and intend to install a full-house scale lighting setup, and the Hyperdyne RGB color changing afterburner effect lighting.

Between completing our move to San Diego and upcoming vacation to Galveston, I expect to finish the build in late June.

Waiting on confirmation from Banana Hobby and about to pull trigger with Hobby King.

Stay tuned for updates.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
to remove ads between posts