SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Build Log
Concept Models Travel Air biplane

Just picked this up from a fellow RCG'r. 52" wingspan and she seems to be built very light. There's a bit more work to do to finish the build but most of the major assemblies are already together and everything appears straight. I might rebuild the empennage to replace the solid balsa with built-up sticks, and I'll do a fair amount of Dremel work to drop a bit more weight. The relatively long nose (for a bipe) should make balancing easy, and there is already a large hatch on the nose that will be perfect for batteries.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 04:55 PM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
One of the many nostalgic bipes that are still flying. For quite a few yrs The Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck NY used a Travelair to give rides during thier still active weekend airshows however a few yrs back they switched to a New Standard which is amazingly similar to the Travelair.
Some interesting names of the Travelair Co founders in this history--

http://www.travelair.org/html/histor...tahistory.html

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/index.ph...d=67&Itemid=76

Hope to see completion pics of your Travelair
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old May 23, 2011, 10:07 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,846 Posts
Looks like a perfect candidate for E power conversion. Keep us posted.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I started in on this last night. I've begun to repair some of the broken bits -- a couple of crushed stringers and wing ribs -- as well as put this plane on a diet. I've drilled lightening holes throughout the sides of the fuselage as well as rebuild the solid balsa empennage with stick construction.

I'll also be using 2 separate aileron servos on a "Y" instead of the complicated single servo with pushrods, bellcranks, and linkages that was called for.

Lastly, I'm on the fence about leaving this as a Travel Air 2000 with the V-8 engine, or converting it to a Travel Air 4000 with a radial engine. I am partial to the aesthetics of a radial engine, but they do tend to blank the prop a little.

Last edited by warhead_71; Jul 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:00 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Here are a few pics to show my progress so far. The fuselage is pretty well hogged out now... I have removed a lot of the lite-ply from the slab-sides but it is still very strong. I need to make a servo tray for the elevator/rudder in the rear cockpit, and add a ply mount-plate for the tail-wheel.

Wings were already nearly finished -- need to do the wingtips and make servo boxes, and I may try to hog out the ribs if I can fit the Dremel in there, but they don't seem very heavy anyway.

The dummy radial is from an Eflite PT-17, which happened to fit the nose nearly perfectly... I did have to remove a lot of the exhaust collector to fit the big motor. I'll add a 2-1/4" spinner and make a Townsend ring to try to approximate the above Travel Air.

The motor, by the way, is a Turnigy SK 4240-750 which should turn an APC 14x7 on 3S (2x 2200mah in parallel) to pull about 36amps or nearly 400watts. Should be plenty of power for scale performance, or I could try 4S for 500watts.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:15 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Progress is slow with two rug-rats to feed and get to bed every evening when I get home from work now... but I did manage to get a little more done.

The rest of the empennage has been rebuilt with sticks instead of solid balsa, and I've hinged them with Robart hinges.

I trimmed down the Eflite Stearman cowl so it fits this fuselage better, and I fashioned a spinner from an Easter egg and a Townsend ring from a coffee creamer container. I had to replace the dummy exhaust collector to fit the large motor --- a yogurt cup fit perfectly and blends nicely with the spinner. I'll add back the exhaust headers with larger aluminum tubing, as well as detail it with spark plug wires, etc.

You can see that I have begun to sheath the forward fuselage with aluminum flashing.... I'll also cover the battery hatch and maybe the cockpits and rear headrest fairing... probably leaving them bare aluminum with no paint for a bit of "flash" in the sky. The rest of the fuselage will be Monokote Insignia Blue and the wings will be Monokote Red. If I decide I don't like the aluminum flashing, I'll paint it Insignia Blue as well.

I need to finish soldering the X-braces onto the landing gear, as well as build the inter-plane struts... then make fairings for all the above and paint.

I'm waiting for my order from HobbyKing for servos, ESC, and some other odd-n-ends... so I'll be on hold until I get those installed. Right now she weighs in at 2lbs-13oz with the motor installed but nothing else. 2 Lipos will add another 12oz, and other electronics and servos probably another 3-4oz. I'm guessing she'll come in at about 4.5lbs AUW when finished.

Here are some pics:
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:30 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
subscribed..

Nice..Very nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Progress is slow with two rug-rats to feed and get to bed every evening when I get home from work now... but I did manage to get a little more done.

The rest of the empennage has been rebuilt with sticks instead of solid balsa, and I've hinged them with Robart hinges.

I trimmed down the Eflite Stearman cowl so it fits this fuselage better, and I fashioned a spinner from an Easter egg and a Townsend ring from a coffee creamer container. I had to replace the dummy exhaust collector to fit the large motor --- a yogurt cup fit perfectly and blends nicely with the spinner. I'll add back the exhaust headers with larger aluminum tubing, as well as detail it with spark plug wires, etc.

You can see that I have begun to sheath the forward fuselage with aluminum flashing.... I'll also cover the battery hatch and maybe the cockpits and rear headrest fairing... probably leaving them bare aluminum with no paint for a bit of "flash" in the sky. The rest of the fuselage will be Monokote Insignia Blue and the wings will be Monokote Red. If I decide I don't like the aluminum flashing, I'll paint it Insignia Blue as well.

I need to finish soldering the X-braces onto the landing gear, as well as build the inter-plane struts... then make fairings for all the above and paint.

I'm waiting for my order from HobbyKing for servos, ESC, and some other odd-n-ends... so I'll be on hold until I get those installed. Right now she weighs in at 2lbs-13oz with the motor installed but nothing else. 2 Lipos will add another 12oz, and other electronics and servos probably another 3-4oz. I'm guessing she'll come in at about 4.5lbs AUW when finished.

Here are some pics:
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:55 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
I have a Travel Air in the oven too so I like the updates and the pics.

Dan
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:00 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I've been busy with a newborn and finishing off our master bathroom, but I just dusted this off last night and plan to get back to it now that my flying weather is gone.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:04 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Congrats on the little one. I think that instead of regular kids toys, they should make a rattle shaped like a little transmitter
Old Dec 09, 2011, 12:26 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Any updates ?
Old Dec 09, 2011, 02:30 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
A few. I started covering it. The scheme is dark blue fuselage and V-stab/rudder and red wings and H-stab/elevator. So far I only have the empennage covered. I have the servos in place for the tail as well, but I need to build servo trays for the ailerons. I'm doing a servo on each lower wing that will run a linkage up to the ailerons... rather than using torque rods as specified.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:22 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Update:

I've been on a 2-day building binge during the holiday break and got the rest of the plane covered. I still need to build the interplane struts, X-bracing for the main gear and center struts, fairings for all the struts and landing gear, cockpit windscreens, combing, gauges and other and details, turtle deck "hump", all the linkages, N-number and other graphics.... there's still lots to do. Basically, it's an ARF at this point.

But I like the looks of it... and the weight will be just a tad over 4lbs AUW so it will still weigh less than my Eflite PT-17 which is about 10% smaller... so she should be able to fly slow and scale.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:54 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,846 Posts
Can't wait to see this one in the air.
Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:49 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Just playing around with some graphics. The "aviation academy" is pure fantasy, named after a city park I live nearby and illustrated with a politically incorrect indian chief head that would have been about par for the course in the 1930's. Other details are borrowed from NC9024 but I juxtaposed the last two digits just to make it my own. These are just paper while I adjust the sizing, then I'm trying to decide whether to use inkjet decals or make a call to Callie Graphics. The racing stripe is just blue painter's tape for now until I figure out the placement then I'll cut one that's red with a white outline.