HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:08 PM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
Repair, Paint and New Motor

Hi all,

Repairs have been complete since my crash earlier in the forum. I have bought a 2836 1150 KV motor and followed Mark's advice by joining two bits of 4mm plywood and reinforcing with 3 CF rods. For the whole job 5 minute epoxy was used.

My advice to anyone who purchases this plane is to make a new motor mount as the stock standard one is very flimsy.

I have managed to keep the 30a ESC that came with the motor and it fits in the fuselage with a 2200 30c lipo (JUST). When I first tested the motor, it went the wrong way, but I reversed the red and black wires to the ESC and it is spinning correctly.

Photos of the motor below... yet to have my second flight but will upload the video when I do.... also have a video of the motor test which I will organise a bit later.

Cheers,
Dave
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:04 PM
Registered User
kevin whitesell's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
1,436 Posts
Hey dave i like the black on the cowl and rudder-looks good
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:20 PM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
Hey dave i like the black on the cowl and rudder-looks good
Thanks Kevin, my partners dad is a painter and he did a great job with the black. Going to repaint the fuselage and wings with silver and have black stars, will lose the scale but will look good!

Dave
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:38 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Hey Gang. Just got my Ryan. I'm going to start putting it together soon. Any suggestions? It sounds like maybe placing a small washer under the motor mount to give it some up trust?
I found the stock motor rather underpowered so my advice would be to get a better one. No idea what effect (positive or negative) the change of thrust angle would have.

Quote:
I also intend to add the flaps. I have a servo regulator/reverser on the way.
Be very careful with the flaps. The plane readily tipstalls as stock. Flaps only worsen the effect. My latest crash was due to flying a curve at too low a speed with flaps deployed and it just dropped out of the sky without so much as a warning. This plane really wants to be kept moving and needs a good-sized field to do so.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:24 PM
Registered User
kevin whitesell's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
I found the stock motor rather underpowered so my advice would be to get a better one. No idea what effect (positive or negative) the change of thrust angle would have.


Be very careful with the flaps. The plane readily tipstalls as stock. Flaps only worsen the effect. My latest crash was due to flying a curve at too low a speed with flaps deployed and it just dropped out of the sky without so much as a warning. This plane really wants to be kept moving and needs a good-sized field to do so.
Oh man! I did that once with my pz p-47-what a suprise! I now only deploy flaps on final when i'm all lined up in my landing approach. The cost of the lesson -a cowl and a prop(i got off easy) Oh by the way havn't flown my ryan in months
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2006
460 Posts
Interesting, as I have found no problem with tip stalls flaps down. I fly around with the flaps at a about 25/30 degrees most of the time simply to keep the speed at something resembling scale. That includes steep banks low and slow, too. No problems so far. On the other hand, I have managed to get a bit slow during aerobatics and snapped and fallen out of a few loops....
Fravits is online now Find More Posts by Fravits
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:16 AM
Registered User
maverick4you's Avatar
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Hi at all!
After i have read all the topic, acquired many info about the right CG and setup my Ryan.
For fly with a 1300mha 3S lipo i forwarded the esc behind the motor e put the battery more forward i can, other this i must put weight for 30gr under the cowl.
Maiden my Ryan last sunday, model fly well but i belive need other 10gr....
During landing, flying too slow, model have stall fortunately without damage.
I read someone setup model with flaps, some suggest about it?

Ps: exscuse for my rusty english
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2006
460 Posts
Hey Maverick!
I think the flaps are a good idea on this model and as stated, I use mine quite a bit. They do lower the stall speed and make the plane a bit more manageable at low speeds. Do keep in mind that even with flaps, you can get too slow to maintain flight, so keep and eye on your airspeed. The other good thing about flaps and often overlooked by many more concerned with lowering the landing speed, is the ability to fly steeper approaches without the build up of unwanted airspeed. Makes life a lot easier when having to deal with wind changes and objects on final approach. As always, when any change is made to the airframe of operational practices, practice your planes new capabilities at altitude until you are familiar with it's new characteristics.
Fravits is online now Find More Posts by Fravits
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
Registered User
maverick4you's Avatar
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
Hey Maverick!
I think the flaps are a good idea on this model and as stated, I use mine quite a bit. They do lower the stall speed and make the plane a bit more manageable at low speeds. Do keep in mind that even with flaps, you can get too slow to maintain flight, so keep and eye on your airspeed. The other good thing about flaps and often overlooked by many more concerned with lowering the landing speed, is the ability to fly steeper approaches without the build up of unwanted airspeed. Makes life a lot easier when having to deal with wind changes and objects on final approach. As always, when any change is made to the airframe of operational practices, practice your planes new capabilities at altitude until you are familiar with it's new characteristics.
Thanks for the suggest Frvits!! how many degree are the best for use flaps?
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2006
460 Posts
Off the top of my head, I think they are running right around twenty/twenty-five degrees. Seems to work well for take off and maneuvering, as well as landing. More deflection than that produces more drag than lift, which is better suited for steep approaches. BTW, if you install the servos in the wing pockets provided, you will end up with one flap going down and the other going up. Trim the foam on one of the pockets so the servos are both mounted in the same direction. It you install them as intended, you will need to add a servo reverser between on of the servos and the receiver. Not a big deal, but an extra expense and a little extra weight. Looking forward to hearing how this all works out for you!
Fravits is online now Find More Posts by Fravits
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:10 AM
Registered User
maverick4you's Avatar
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
Off the top of my head, I think they are running right around twenty/twenty-five degrees. Seems to work well for take off and maneuvering, as well as landing. More deflection than that produces more drag than lift, which is better suited for steep approaches. BTW, if you install the servos in the wing pockets provided, you will end up with one flap going down and the other going up. Trim the foam on one of the pockets so the servos are both mounted in the same direction. It you install them as intended, you will need to add a servo reverser between on of the servos and the receiver. Not a big deal, but an extra expense and a little extra weight. Looking forward to hearing how this all works out for you!
ASAP i apply this modify and i will notify you the result.
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
Registered User
maverick4you's Avatar
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Today the second flight with Ryan still without flaps.
The model flies well but when all accelerator tends to go upwards, it will be necessary to tilt down the engine a few degrees.
Landing just keeping the engine idling, not Off! the stall is always lurking.
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
Registered User
kevin whitesell's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
1,436 Posts
Geez Maverick very nice ryan!
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
Never stop being a kid.
BrundleFlyBy's Avatar
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
It doesn't appear that anyone here has reported trying spoilerons with this model. That's what I use to slow down my flapless models for landing. Just a little bit of spoileron (10-20% of the travel) mixed with up elevator increases angle of attack, producing more lift and drag to slow the plane with the spoilerons acting like washout in the wing, reducing the tendency to tip-stall. I'd be interested to see if it works with the Ryan STA.

I'm dying to get one, but have too many unflown planes in the hangar already. Plus, I don't really have a good venue with a runway surface that can accommodate a fast-landing plane with small wheels and wheel pants. Not to mention this model sounds like a bit of a handful for a relatively inexperienced pilot. The only low-wing plane I've flown is the Parkzone UM Corsair, and I don't have much time on it due to its sensitivity to wind. It's a sweetheart in quiet air, though.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:44 PM
Registered User
maverick4you's Avatar
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
It doesn't appear that anyone here has reported trying spoilerons with this model. That's what I use to slow down my flapless models for landing. Just a little bit of spoileron (10-20% of the travel) mixed with up elevator increases angle of attack, producing more lift and drag to slow the plane with the spoilerons acting like washout in the wing, reducing the tendency to tip-stall. I'd be interested to see if it works with the Ryan STA.

I'm dying to get one, but have too many unflown planes in the hangar already. Plus, I don't really have a good venue with a runway surface that can accommodate a fast-landing plane with small wheels and wheel pants. Not to mention this model sounds like a bit of a handful for a relatively inexperienced pilot. The only low-wing plane I've flown is the Parkzone UM Corsair, and I don't have much time on it due to its sensitivity to wind. It's a sweetheart in quiet air, though.
Me too have many unused planes stocked in home.... my wife hate me for this but every model is different between other that i have.
Ryan and Spad XIII is the last bought models, Spad not still maiden fly.
For a good and sure landing of the Ryan need a decent and long runway, on our fly field we have a good and long runway, landing on grass the risk is broke the landing gear that all in plastic, the landing gear have not metal parts, only plastic is very fragile.
If you want you can see our field in many video posted on youtube
this is the link for our channel
maverick4you is offline Find More Posts by maverick4you
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Hobby King Pearl EPO Glider Thread tomcor Foamies (Kits) 34 Aug 29, 2013 10:51 PM
New Product Bananahobby Ryan STA fieldflierlux Electric Warbirds 1 Jun 28, 2011 08:58 PM
Sold RYAN STA EP Price reduced AGAIN rev.iain Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 20, 2011 09:38 AM
New Product Hobby king new micro cessna 4 ch EPO 555mm WS with VIDEO Cheetah401 Micro Ready-to-Fly 9 Apr 18, 2011 04:11 PM
New Product Hobby King 2.3M EPO EP Ventus PNF Doubletap Electric Sailplanes 1 Apr 05, 2011 10:00 PM