HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Nov 2006
460 Posts
Almost forgot, I picked up another STA from a friend. He repainted it and did some detailing, but got disgusted with it saying that it was impossible to balance. I was going to help him with it, but he was soured on the whole thing and ended up trading it to me. Plans for this new bird are to turn it into a PT-22 Recruit. Have to sweep the wings back a few degrees, scratch build that spindly, but oh so interesting landing gear, reshape the rudder, and do some serious slimming of the fuselage. The cross section has to be round at the firewall because they used a Kinner radial on the beast. Should be an interesting project for the future.
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 03:15 AM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
Ryan STA Spares and Help

Hey all,

I bought a RYan STA 1 month ago and had a crash yesterday. I need help in locating spares and also a professional opinion whether the fuselage needs replacing. The vertical tail definitely needs replacing as I think glue will just crack.

Please see pictures (the motor and prop came out of its mount as well but still work fine) no damage to electrics or any other part of plane.
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC
Old May 06, 2012, 06:58 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Nah, should be fine.

I used hinge tape for the rudder running it down both sides. Better than new as the foam hinge isn't really very sturdy. Mine is white but I believe it's available in a variety of colors, so maybe you can find a yellow that's close.

On the front take off the cowl and straighten it over boiling water, then use gorilla glue to put it back together.

The motor mount is really small and on impact breaks out of the foam guides as yours did. I found it easiest to cut off the remaining foam (there's lots of "meat" in the area) and make a new mount out of plywood. Epoxy it to the front and reinforce with CF rods CA'ed into the fuse foam. See my pics earlier in this thread.

The motor shaft will most likely be bent and I don't know of any spares. Best to replace the motor with something stronger.

Good luck - it's not too difficult.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old May 06, 2012, 09:16 AM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
Nah, should be fine.

I used hinge tape for the rudder running it down both sides. Better than new as the foam hinge isn't really very sturdy. Mine is white but I believe it's available in a variety of colors, so maybe you can find a yellow that's close.

On the front take off the cowl and straighten it over boiling water, then use gorilla glue to put it back together.

The motor mount is really small and on impact breaks out of the foam guides as yours did. I found it easiest to cut off the remaining foam (there's lots of "meat" in the area) and make a new mount out of plywood. Epoxy it to the front and reinforce with CF rods CA'ed into the fuse foam. See my pics earlier in this thread.

The motor shaft will most likely be bent and I don't know of any spares. Best to replace the motor with something stronger.

Good luck - it's not too difficult.
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply, it seems like your way is much more cost effective and hopefully not too hard for a first timer like myself. Just to clarify, I can use hinge tap to put my rudder back together?

I saw your post regrding when you fixed the nose of your plane so will use that as a guide.

Thanks,
Dave
Old May 06, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AscotRC View Post
Just to clarify, I can use hinge tap to put my rudder back together?
Yup, that's why they call it hinge tape.

It's actually also useful to reinforce foam hinges before they break, if you don't mind the looks.

Quote:
I saw your post regrding when you fixed the nose of your plane so will use that as a guide.
Good luck and take pictures!

- Mark
Old May 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Great design

Quote:
Originally Posted by igel View Post
My Ryan STA

Great design. Is it stock or your idea? I am going to paint the bottom surfaces of the wings dark color.
vadimzn is offline Find More Posts by vadimzn
Old May 13, 2012, 07:05 AM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
Yup, that's why they call it hinge tape.

It's actually also useful to reinforce foam hinges before they break, if you don't mind the looks.

Good luck and take pictures!

- Mark
Hey.

Haven't done much as waiting for a new motor (2839-7 1120KV). Hopefully arrives from HK soon so I can measure up the ply and cut away the rest of the foam. Also ordered 2 9g micro servos for the flaps, does anyone know where I can get cheap rods and horns to attach to the servos?
Old May 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AscotRC View Post
does anyone know where I can get cheap rods and horns to attach to the servos?
I received a set for the flaps in the box. Failing that your local hobby shop should have plastic horns you can use. I usually bend rods out of 0.8mm or 1.0mm piano wire (also from the LHS) using needle nose pliers.

Take a look at how the servo slots are cast on both wings. You have three possibilities: use two channels and a mixer for the flap servos; put in a servo reverser on one; or enlarge one of the cutouts so you can put the servo in the other way.

- Mark
Old May 30, 2012, 09:08 PM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
Finally received the motor after 4 weeks wait, identical to Mark's, have also painted the cowl black after glueing it back together and sanding it back. I had to do something while I waited. My question is this, my LHS said my 30 a ESC is enough for the new motor, but I would like to know if this is accurate as I know most people would go with a 40A but I have already spent a bit of money on this bird !

Let me know what you all think!
Dave
Last edited by AscotRC; May 30, 2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Wording was incorrect
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:49 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
A lot of information in this thread. Thanks.

I just got mine yesterday. Are people finding that the 40mm back from the LE center of gravity is the right CG, and then do whatever it takes to attain this CG? Or, are people finding that a different CG works better?

Mine will be getting floats. I hope the stock motor and prop are up to the task. If not, I guess it will get a motor upgrade.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
A lot of information in this thread. Thanks.

I just got mine yesterday. Are people finding that the 40mm back from the LE center of gravity is the right CG, and then do whatever it takes to attain this CG? Or, are people finding that a different CG works better?

Mine will be getting floats. I hope the stock motor and prop are up to the task. If not, I guess it will get a motor upgrade.

Gordon
I went with the c of g at 40mm per instructions and found it tail heavy. Kept to the recommended c of g and put 34g's of balast in the nose and she flew ok. I havn't flown the ryan in about two months though. I'm busy with the warbirds in my hanger presently-kevin
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:56 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Thanks. I'm not sure I understand. If you put more weight in the nose, didn't that move the CG forward, and thus a CG of less than 40mm from the leading edge?

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,436 Posts
Yeah i know it worked for me and i'm alittle messed up
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:16 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,203 Posts
Hey Gang. Just got my Ryan. I'm going to start putting it together soon. Any suggestions? It sounds like maybe placing a small washer under the motor mount to give it some up trust? I also intend to add the flaps. I have a servo regulator/reverser on the way. Any suggestions would be great!

Happy Flying!
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,203 Posts
Well great. After taking a look through my Ryan kit. It appears that the wrong motor was included. The motor included appears to be your standard X mount 370-400 class brushless outrunner. Would somebody be kind enough to share a picture of their motor set up and perhaps suggest a motor?
cwolfe is offline Find More Posts by cwolfe