HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:50 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Available from HK in each warehouse

US warehouse now has 2 versions of this plane for $80. Only difference in the versions is the color scheme. International warehouse has it for $70 but of course shipping is more than the difference.

Has anyone figured out where to get the spare parts that supposedly exist?
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
460 Posts
Interesting little bird, this Ryan. After tentatively stumbling through the first few flights. I have become comfortable with this little guy and really like flying it. Adding the flaps was a good idea and I used T-Pro 9gms in the pockets provided. A servo reverser was needed to get them to work in unison. Even with the 1300mah battery pack, the Ryan feels at bit heavy to me and flies faster than I think this sort of plane should go. Dropping the flaps and adding some nose down trim brings the speed down to something more akin to a Thirties-something monoplane's capabilities. Even with the flaps down, be wary of low speed, low altitude turns, as things can get out of hand if bank angles get too extreme. Nothing nasty, but this airplane doesn't much care for the bank and yank style of flying.

I found ground handling in grass to be rather vague. Using dual rates with lots of up elevator works well for keeping the Ryan off it's nose when taking off. Reduce the elevator as speed increases and once in the air, go to low rates. Also, an easy application of throttle, no more than half, provides a realistic take-off run and avoids the nose swinging due to torque.

Rather than adding glue to the flying wire ends as instructed, I crimped all the ends with needle nose pliers to make siure they stayed put. Good thing too, as it turned out. I have no problem with my hatch staying put, but constant removal will take its toll. A single magnet at the rear of the hatch will keep things in place.

I balanced mine per instructions, but found that it seemed a bit tail heavy in the air. Remove the spinner, prop, and cowl, and carve a small recess in the fuselage foam for a piece of lead tire weight, if so needed. This is a neat way of adding ballast as it doesn't show. With the 1300pack all the way forward, the ESC right behind, and the servo reverser next to that, she flies nicely and things remain cool.

Sadly, on the fifteenth flight, a Pilot One Waco and my Ryan collected each other at about forty feet up. The Ryan hit at about forty-five degrees nose down, snapping both wings forward between the landing gear and the fuselage. The cowling was damaged and the weight in the nose broke loose. Amazingly, all but one of the flying wires stayed attached! Even the prop survived. It looks worse than it is, and I will more than likely be flying it again tomorrow morning. I wish the Waco had been as lucky.
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:32 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
I have a Ryan coming as well. Have a 1300 mAh pack (118 grams) but also have a light 20C 2200 mAh pack (185 grams). Does anyone fly with a 2200? Will that put the CG right? I'd rather use the bigger battery than add dead weight, if possible. Thanks! - Mark
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:42 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
I'm cutting the the nose up on mine to stuff batteries right where the steel weight was at the farthest point forward beneath the motor...The cowl will open in half to access the batteries/motor... I'll post pics if I get busy enough to finish it up...
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:06 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Ordered a silver one today. For those looking for spare parts, Banana Hobbies carries a full line in all three colors schemes.
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:53 AM
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Brent, interested to see pictures of your mod. I have assembled mine and it balances nicely with the Turnigy 2200 all the way forward. Not flown it yet, weather sucks.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:40 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
My silver Ryan arrived today. First impressions are good. Nicely packed. All hardware seperated and bagged. No defects found on the first inspection. Haven't powered it up yet. ESC has a Deans connector. Extra bag of plastic hinges with a note inside that says "There have some hinges for ailerons & rudder which broken connectors". Not sure what thats about. Instruction booklet looks adequate. Each picture shows screw size for that part. Tremendous help. There are lots of small screws. As mentioned earlier, there is no method of securing the cowl. Could use magnets or lightly glued. Also mentioned, not a whole lot of cooling airflow.
Build time should be quick. Not much to it. No hurry. Can't fly until this weekend. Attached are a few pictures as it come straight from the box. More to come.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Funky. Is that from Hobbyking? Mine came with the cowl already attached (probably glued). Beware the instructions are all wrong regarding screw sizes (ay least mine were).
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:35 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Got it from Banana Hobby. Probably the same maker though. The cowl is just pressed on. No glue. Thanks for heads up on the screws.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
I'm sure they are all the same plane...
I have replaced the motor with a Tower Pro 2409-18 delta, which I thought was going to be heavier than stock but it is not. I will post pics soon of my clam-shell cowling mod and nose mod...I wish I had weighed everything BEFORE modding....Grrr!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:43 PM
Joined Nov 2006
460 Posts
Looking forward to your mod, Brent. I am currently patching mine up and this would be a good time to make that sort of mod, before the details and new paint go on. It would be great to get ride of that weight and lighten things up a bit. Go for it!
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:05 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
4X4RC- Good call on the screw sizes. Instructions started ok but after putting the tail on the sizes didn't match. A little swapping here and there and good.....so far. I have both 1300mah and 2200mah batteries to try to get the cg right. To be continued.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:38 AM
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
I wrote a little mini-review of the build here: http://forum.rc-airplane-world.com/v...tart=10#p22771 and there's a link at the bottom of that page to the instructions a German retailer ships with their version of the plane (also the exact same thing but in the nice silver/yellow scheme). The instructions list the correct screw applications. Interestingly enough they also give a different CG, 53mm.

Make sure you use needle-nose pliers to squeeze the springs' loops closed after installation so they don't go flying away. There were no extras included in my kit.

I'll have to see if I can pull the nose off of mine as well. I also want to get rid of the weight and move the battery forward if at all possible.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Everything together. Ended up with a few extra screws. The extra allen wrench fits the grub screws for the stock motor mount. Like most, having cg issues. Using a 3s-1300 I'm balancing at the 47mm mark. Using a 3s-2200 I'm closer to 50mm. Go figure. Next I'll try what Fravitz did and see if the esc will fit beside the esc. Other than that just need to secure the cowl. Magnets seems to be the best option.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:34 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
First flight went ok. Got a few things to sort out. Tail wheel is not straight. Pulls right on takeoff roll. Easy fix. Still a little tail heavy with the 1300mah and esc shoved full forward. Extra nose down trim makes it flyable. Also seems under powered. Will try the larger prop as suggested earlier. Maybe a motor swap if need be. Flaps are also in the future. Will take a bit of tinkering to get it to fly the way I want.