HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
And here I was thinking I just kept finding holes in the sky

This plane flies quite well with flaps deployed and doesn't balloon too much.
Makes landings nice and scale like.

I also find she does a nice flat spin, only problem is that they are hard to recover from. I once spun her down to a nice three pointer with only one of the struts popping off. They are stuck to the fuse with just a micro dot of glue so worth checking.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
And here I was thinking I just kept finding holes in the sky

This plane flies quite well with flaps deployed and doesn't balloon too much.
Makes landings nice and scale like.

I also find she does a nice flat spin, only problem is that they are hard to recover from. I once spun her down to a nice three pointer with only one of the struts popping off. They are stuck to the fuse with just a micro dot of glue so worth checking.
Flat spin .... Ouch ! Two of my favourite models were great at them ... but you paid a price if you didn't power out early ! My Pitts S2 went in - pushing wheels etc. up through wing / fuselage ... my Zlin Akrobat pushed it's whole wing up through to the cockpit !

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:28 PM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
The 9x3.8 SF was a bit of an improvement but not enough to float my boat.

The problem is the motor. It ain't up to the job, so why persist with a 4 banger when you can shoehorn in V8.

In this case the V8 is a Turnigy 1320kv Park480. I had one kicking around from an earlier project and liked the way it performed with a 9x6 prop.

The problem was cramming its large diameter in to the narrow nose of the Ryan.

Solution was to mount it a little lower and perform some foam surgery on the cowl.

An X mount was fabbed from aluminium and screwed to the existed firewall (with previously installed backup ply).

Cg is now at 42mm with the battery furthest forward.

Prop is a 9x6 apc with a spinner from my T28 fun fighter.

Draws about 27A static so the original speedie should be ok.
Thrust, 900g on a half charged battery.
Should be enough
Last edited by brett.c; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:51 AM
Joined Feb 2013
24 Posts
I had nothing bad bad luck with this plane. The power issue went away when I removed the cowling and spinner which somehow caused friction.. Once this stuff was removed the plane became alot faster.
(as you can see in the video I attached) A bigger motor is also not a bad idea, like Brett has.

There are lots of stupid little issues with this plane, not to mention the manual is the worst manual I have ever seen.

But then again for only $90, with everything but the reciever and battery it is not that bad of an idea. No matter what happens to it I always seem to repair it, and it's nice to have a plane that you don't give a crap about.

I did a review of it however telling the story of this plane and my luck.

Review of the Starmax Ryan STA EPO Foamy. Available from Hobby King and Banana Hobby (7 min 44 sec)

The people at the field are in shock that I still bring this thing out after all the crap it has been through. It's become frankenplane! I am going to paint it black and write Eat Me! on the wings and Death Mobile on the fuse as a tribute to Animal House over this winter. :-) I will also get a new wing in from hobbyking since this old one is mostly glue and packing tape now. I am always afraid it is going to break in the air and some poor sheep might get taken out by the run away plane. :-P
TheWhistler is offline Find More Posts by TheWhistler
Last edited by TheWhistler; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,241 Posts
Yes there are lots of issues with this and just about every other cheap foamie.

But I don't mind that because I find planes that fly straight out of the box kinda boring.
I love to tinker, mix and match and improve on things.

I also like to scratch build and am building a OV-10 Bronco ATM. These cheap foamies offer a bit of a break from that.

The park480 really gave this plane some extra pep, however battery life suffers.
Still, she scoots along at pretty much stock speed with just half throttle so there's plenty of reserve power there.
Moving the cg slightly forward seemed to make her a tad nicer to fly as well.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Ryans

Whistler,
Funny imitation of Banana Pete! Nice flying, too...
The U.S Navy version of the Ryan ST/PT series used a 5-cylinder radial engine. They called it the Ryan NR-1 "Recruit". The blue and yellow paint scheme was used by the U.S. Army on some of it's aircraft but there is no evidence that their Ryan ST/PT series aircraft ever used it. The U.S. Navy apparently only used a silver and yellow scheme. The silver finish included lots of polished natural-finish aluminum as did many, if not all of the Army's Ryans.
Attached are some pics of NR-1s and my HK Ryan STA EPO with flaps and "Ensign Clyde", my home-made pilot. It started out as a blue/yellow version from Hobby King.
The shot of the NR-1 "Recruit" hanging indoors was taken by me last year at the National Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, FL. The color shot of the flying NR-1 was swiped from the NNAM's website, I think. Same aircraft before it got hung up in the museum.
The NNAM is a GREAT museum and it is free! And, if you're there on the right day at the right time, you can see the Blue Angels practice, also for free. NAS Pensacola is their home base.

Cheers!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Feb 27, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Fun
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:25 AM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Hey Whistler,
Over in the YouTube comments you say they sell a U.S. Navy version of this model.
Could you provide a link to where one could view / buy the U.S. Navy version you say they sell?
Thanks!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Feb 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fun
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
For Sale

Hi everyone,

My Ryan is totalled beyond repair and I actually bought spares for minor crashes but have decided not to attempt rebuild.

I am selling a brand new in package cowling and vertical stab (w/o tail wheel).

These are on eBay at the following link and I will post international calculated postage

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ryan-STA-...-/140922079818
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:10 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post

I did a review of it however telling the story of this plane and my luck.

http://youtu.be/DjmMiM4tA4E
Pretty funny, Whistler. FWIW, it seems to fly pretty sweetly in this maiden video; he even pulls off a slow, power-off landing, apparently without much difficulty:

Ryan STA EPO   MaidenFlight (3 min 29 sec)

I've had my eye on this one for a while, but just picked up an E-Flite Gee Bee for $65 (appears it's being discontinued), and can't really justify the very similar Ryan STA for more money without the receiver and 3-axis stabilization that the Gee Bee offers (not to mention Horizon quality and warranty).

Of course, the Ryan is considerably bigger (2x wingspan > 4x "size impression"), but I don't see it offering a significantly different flying experience, other than being able to maintain orientation at greater distances.

Don't get me wrong; I still like this Ryan, and may yet buy one some day, but for others considering this plane (or for those like AscotRC who have given up on it), you might want to consider picking up a UMX Gee Bee before they're all gone.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Dave
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,437 Posts
B-i've had my ryan for sometime,probably flown it about 7 times(i think i got lucky and got a good one) my e-flite Gee Bee arrived today.I'm not expecting any problems as i've never had a problem with any of the hh planes i've had in my hanger-cheers kevin.
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:07 AM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Cool. I'll be interested to hear how you think the two compare on the fun-to-fly scale.

Don't forget to check for OCP, range/antenna problems, and loose flying wires.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
Cool. I'll be interested to hear how you think the two compare on the fun-to-fly scale.

Don't forget to check for OCP, range/antenna problems, and loose flying wires.
Thanks i'm all over it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:50 PM
Croatia, Osijek-Baranja County, Valpovo
Joined Jul 2011
389 Posts
Maiden my today,
no problems found,
fly nice and gentle,
power of landing ok,
better then expected.

Long flight possible, 390 mah for 5 min flight,
with 1300 3s estimate 12 min safe to 15 min max.

Ryan STA EPO (Blue and Yellow) PNF maiden (7 min 40 sec)
srepfler is offline Find More Posts by srepfler
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srepfler View Post
Maiden my today,
no problems found,
fly nice and gentle,
power of landing ok,
better then expected.

Long flight possible, 390 mah for 5 min flight,
with 1300 3s estimate 12 min safe to 15 min max.

http://youtu.be/0iV6TAWLM6Y
Srepflier-good job on video and maiden flight-your wife or girlfriend(?) did a great job on the hand launch too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:20 AM
Croatia, Osijek-Baranja County, Valpovo
Joined Jul 2011
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
Srepflier-good job on video and maiden flight-your wife or girlfriend(?) did a great job on the hand launch too!
Thanks,
my wife did the launch,
to rough field for ground take off.
srepfler is offline Find More Posts by srepfler