SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

vtdiy,
Got any more pics or reports of the progress on your Ryan?

I still haven't flown mine yet but I pretty well destroyed my freshly rebuilt PZ T-28D...
Flew it through a huge 120 ft. willow oak at about 70 ft and maybe 40mph...
It came out the other side, and scared some grazing horses who were startled and bolted away when the fuselage landed about 40ft. the backside of the tree amongst them. Then there was a rain of larger and smaller bits falling from the tree for a couple of seconds. This was a lesson to me about what is and isn't at risk when one "flies" his beloved toys.

So, as the new PZ UM Spitfires ("Squirtfire") had finally arrived @ the LHS I picked one up and have been learning about it.

Cheers!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Nov 2006
450 Posts
'Pony, I feel your pain. I augered a T-28 straight in so hard that it took two hands and numerous pulls to get the motor and prop out of the ground. Don't give up on the old girl though. Some judicious application of Gorilla Glue and a bamboo skewer here and there and almost any T-28 incident can be set right. My fuse was in four chunks with a number of little pieces. All back together with a little 1/2 glass cloth reinforcement and some WBPU. Looks better than new and is stronger too, at the cost of about an ounce of extra weight. Beats spending thirty bucks on a new fuselage, and the time spent was therapeutic.
The down side was, it took me away from my STA. Currently finishing the silver paint on the fuse, adding details in the cockpit area, and painting the pilot and such. Almost ready to get her into the air again.
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

Fravits,
We want pics of that STA before you crash it! I especially would like to see those cockpit and pilot pics and the new paint job.

That's the thing I regret about the T-28D prang... no pics before rebuild or after rebuild prior to the Close Encounter of the oak tree kind. It was really pretty nice looking! I was able to (tearfully) collect almost all the parts and I think it'll go back together pretty well. I think I'll try to document the rebuild and re-re-re-maiden!

On another note, I love the UM PZ Squirtfire! Although it consumes the stock battery in 4 or 5 minutes, it is a FUN 4 or 5 minutes. I can do aerobatic maneuvers without fear and it looks spectacular. On one flight, I lost it in the sun at a pretty good height, my eyes became dazzled and I just powered-off and let it glide in. No damage but it took some help to find it in a freshly mown field. Functional camo and all... The LHS where I bought didn't have any more of the E-Flite 150mAh 25C batts. but got some Mad Dog 180 mAh 25C units in for a couple of bucks cheaper than the E-Flite stockers so I got 2 and should get to try them tomorrow. LHS says parts for the Squirtfire are hard to come by just now. You know, when really interested customers really want/need them!( I guess should probably post this stuff in the PZ UM Spitfire Thread...)

Cheers and Thanks for the encouragement!
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Oct 21, 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: fun
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
Quick Question ( BTW - I love the history of this plane )
I am currently flying a axn cloud and have a durafly spit (still getting used to that spit) Would this be ok for a beginner / intermediate flyer?
rcfly4m3 is offline Find More Posts by rcfly4m3
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Nov 2006
450 Posts
Hi RCfly'. Perhaps the best way to describe the skill level needed for the STA is that if you are comfortable with a PZ T-28, you shouldn't have a problem with it. It flies well and is reasonably aerobatic. The only complaint I had was a bit of discomfort when low and slow, making turns. Adding flaps solves this. Straight ahead stalls are easy and predictable. I would be nice if it were a bit lighter, but it does fine as is. I would say that while it isn't for the noobie, once your are able to take off, cruise around the patch and land consistently, the STA should work well for you.

BTW, if you do thump it into the ground, it is pretty robust. Mine dove into the ground after a midair from about forty feet, hitting at a 45 degree angle. Some of the rigging was sprung and the wing cracked from the trailing edge near the fuse on both sides. A little epoxy on that and the motor mount (plus a little Spackle and point), solved the problem. Go out and enjoy!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Ryan ST in 1938 Film "Sky Giant"

While looking for cool movies the other day I came across a1938 RKO film on TCM entitled "Sky Giant". It looked pretty cool so I DVR'ed it. As it turns out a key action sequence in the movie starred a Ryan ST or STA doing "aerobatics" and a brief clip showing one taxi-ing by the camera. I harvested this from the DVR and have posted to You Tube here:

Sky Giant (1938)-Ryan ST clips w/music (5 min 9 sec)

Give a look. It's interesting to see and hear what the Ryan was like then. There are definitely some radical "aerobatics" happening in/on this film.

Cheers!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:51 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
Thanks Fravits, ordered one
Will probably put the bigger battery in, are people running a 2200 3s?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
Dave
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfly4m3 View Post
Thanks Fravits, ordered one
Will probably put the bigger battery in, are people running a 2200 3s?
Yes
AscotRC is offline Find More Posts by AscotRC
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:05 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
97 Posts
Cool thanks
Just finished reading thru all the old posts and answered my own question as well
Partly built mine last night (got the red and white) hope to finish tonight

See some conflict 2 flaps or not to flap?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Nov 2006
450 Posts
Glad to help Rcfly'. I have been running a 1300 battery in mine and am quite happy with it. One of the problems that I have heard about with this plane is weight, and adding a 2200 is going to add between two and two and a half ounces, depending on the battery. I don't know whether the increase in flight duration is worth the added weight, especially considering that the Ryan is no lightweight to begin with. My timer is set at five minutes and I am coming down with 40-45 percent left in the pack. I usually fly at about two thirds throttle.

I would really consider adding the flaps. While the Ryan flies fine without, they do open up the flight envelope by providing more positive handling during slow flight and lower landing speeds. Some people feel that they aren't worth the effort (simple on the Ryan, really) and cause accidents. Proper usage is the key and remember that when deployed, flaps do cause a trim change and there is a point where a plane gets so slow control is lost. IMHO, they are well worth the effort and I have now installed them on five of my planes and plan to do most of the rest. I'm sold.

BTW, crimp the flying wires to the mounting springs. since I did that, I have had no problems with them coming loose, even during a hard landing. The red and white one is pretty cool. Good luck with her.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Dec 2009
16 Posts
1300 3s is OK...
igel is offline Find More Posts by igel
Last edited by igel; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:22 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,234 Posts
Hi all,
How do you guys hit cg (40mm) with a 1300mA battery?

Mine has a 2200 shoved hard against the firewall and it balances out at 50mm from LE.

I have removed the 3 screws from the tail plus all the associated plastic bits and the stay wires. The ESC is mounted under the chin and the 20g nose weight has been removed. Oh, and I've fitted servos for the flaps.
AUW is 760g with battery.

I think the recommended cg is a little conservative at 25% of chord so I will maiden it the way it is.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,234 Posts
Hi, quiet thread however I'll put up some more comments and pics for posterity.

Tried flying her with a 2200 battery and she was way, way too heavy. Not very nice to fly at all.

Bought some 1300 nanos and did a few more mods to get the cg right. Now she now flies like a dream. Cg is on the trailing edge of the wing struts and IMO that's about right as she only needs a slight amount of elevator when inverted. Very stable too.

Tends to ground loop easily on take off and this is exacerbated if using flaps. You need to do a very gradual scale like take off, which is not such a bad thing. Landings are easy especially with flaps deployed.
Loops, rolls etc nicely. Good hammerheads and nice flat rudder turns. Even got her to knife edge a bit. Stall is rather benign, just mushes about and you can even do a bit of high alpha flying.

Not fast but fast enough for what it is.

All in all I am very happy with the look and the flying qualities of this little plane.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Last edited by brett.c; Dec 22, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Nice job Brett.C!
I've yet to pull those larger metal hardware pieces from the tail of "Ol' 41", but was thinking about maybe replacing with nylon screws instead. Might not be that much weight savings, though... probably would be better of just losing them altogether as you have done.
I'm thinking this Ryan model's paint job may be patterned after this one: see attached pics.
But I'm also thinking that John Gosney's Ryan may be one of those converted to use a Fairchild 6-cylinder engine. In some of these shots the cowling/engine cover looks a little longer than standard and the engine exhaust arrangement is different.
2 X 3-into-1 set-up. There's small company in the San Fran., CA area (Santa Paula) that does the conversions.
Cheers!
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: fun