SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

Vtdiy,
Looking good! Redistribution of equipment and weight reduction sounds like it should be the sort of improvements we're all looking for.
With that EMAX motor and the correct prop. it sounds like it should become a really good performer. I'd like to see a shot of your ESC relocation, if you have one.
The silver looks really good... shiney and smooth!

On another note, I got to attend a small town airshow about 80 miles from home over the weekend and got to see and hear the only flying Curtiss SB2C Helldiver on the planet! What a beast... Attached is a shot of it. No thread hijack intended... just sharing.
Hope you enjoy.

Cheers!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Okay, here are pics of the ESC and batt installation. I originally was going to mount the ESC in a foam cutaway under the motor mount, like others have done. But I have in the back of my mind mounting floats some day, and I didn't want the ESC low in the cowl where it would be the first thing to get wet through the vent holes in the cowl.

So I decided to move it aft some, and mount it high up under the fwd turtle deck. I used velcro to mount it. The motor wires extend through the battery area in the photo, but actually I push them to the side to mount the battery. There is room along the side wall for the wires.

I will be splitting the cowl to have a top access hatch for installing the battery. The bottom half of the cowl will be glued on, actually strengthening the nose area in the lower portion.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

Thanks for the pics. That looks like a perfect place for the ESC considering your plan to add floats. My only concern would be heat dissipation from the ESC and the battery. Is the main "plane" of the ESC unit now vertical or horizontal, relative to the long. axis of the fuselage? I think I know the answer, but will ask anyway. )
I'm thinkin', "high under the forward turtledeck" is horizontal...? Probably with heat-sink facing down.?

Cheers!
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Fun
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:49 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Pegasus, there are air passages around the sides of the battery -- not visible -- and they could be enlarged if desired. That air also passes over the ESC.

Remember, the fuselage is hollow, so although the battery looks tight to the foam cutout at the top, it isn't tight to the batt below that. Of course you can dig away as much foam as you like for clearance -- especially since the bottom of the cowl will now be glued on.

Quite a bit could be removed in the lower section. And in fact I also cut out an opening for an ESC there (as others had) before I thought of the float plane water problem. I also enlarged the hollow area going aft of the cowl to give space to tuck in the battery wires and connector. So the batt and ESC have a fair amount of internal clearance -- just doesn't look that way from above.

If you think about it, the ESC is now more forward than it was and closer to the air source (cowl openings.) To get even better air flow, there should be an exit vent somewhere aft. Maybe behind the wing would be good.

Yes, the plane of the ESC's circuit board is horizontal, and the heat sink fins face down. However I don't imagine that sink does too much since it is shrink wrapped!

All this is probably moot. I doubt I'll draw much more than about half the ESC 30 amp rating at WOT static with the CF2822 (and prop I mentioned earlier). So I think ESC heating will be a non-issue. I have several other birds with similar power to weight setups in this size range and batts and ESCs stay cool. I don't overprop, and I check all my setups in Motocalc beforehand. The 1300mah battery will also only be delivering about 13C at WOT static, and considerably less when flying. I use 20C batts.
Last edited by vtdiy; Oct 03, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

Here's how I modded my ESC: by cutting away a large hole in the shrink-wrap so as to let heat out.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:54 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Makes sense.

But isn't it up against the foam cowl in that bottom position?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

Yes. The shape of the cowl on the bottom gives some clearance and as may be seen in the attached pic, there are some significant ventilation ports in the nose, even directly infront of the ESC. The blue-anodized heat sink can be seen in the photo through the lower vent. port. Of course, I do not intend to land on water!

Cheers!
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Fun
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

Hey vtdiy,
Do you plan to build your floats from scratch or use/adapt some from another model?
This should be cool to watch...

Here are some float-plane pics from the Ryan Archive.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:44 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Pegasus, thanks for the photos! I'd build them from scratch. On the Dutch planes it looks like there was a very shallow step, and some sort of keel with perforations in it - can't quite tell.

I'll be flying as a land plane first -- water season is just about finished here.

I'd really like to paint in the Dutch scheme when I do floats, but that would mean painting the wings silver -- a lot more paint, and more weight. I guess I'll see how it flies first, and decide then.

I'd be happy to keep the present scheme if there was a pic of the US trainer version on floats, but haven't found any.

Man, that guy getting ready to crank was well turned out for the occasion! White shoes.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

vtdiy,
Here are some more...
I guess maybe those Dutch keydets were "sharp-dressed men!"
Somebody (igel) has posted some pics of their model painted "Dutch" and it really looks good!

The Ryan archives have some not-so-good shots of STMs sitting on a field with C-47s and P-40s in China. But apparently Clair Chenault wanted to put what appears to be a dark mottled paint finish on them and the Nationalist Chinese markings are not really visible in any of the shots I've found. Camo to ward off bullets from Georges and Zekes...
But, for something different it probably wouldn't be hard to sort of "extrapolate" the finish/markings...

Cheers!
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Oct 09, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Fun
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:18 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
It's interesting looking at photos of those Dutch Ryans. I didn't see any of them that looked like they had grapefruit size rivets.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

Maybe the Chinese ones did?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
This one wasn't silver. At first I just thought it was the old B&W photo rendering it dark, but it isn't as you can tell by the prop leading edge metal shields, and the socket end of the hand crank. The exhaust stained pipes are lighter than the fuselage and floats

Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
HK Ryan STA EPO build

I agree. Not silver...
I found a pic of a restored WWII-era Dutch DO-24 flying boat which I believe is one the machines sharing the pics with Ryan STM seaplanes in some of the Ryan archive photos. This restored DO-24 is dark blue with white or light grey undersides.
If the restoration is correct, perhaps those colors, maybe just the blue, were shared with the Dutch Ryans...?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Seems very likely. Interesting to see Ryans and Dorniers flying together in formation in the same air force.

I was wondering earlier what that flying boat in the water was. Saw the three engines, and the very wide flat windscreen, and was trying to place it. Thanks for the photos they are really great!

ps, Haha, kind of ironic that I painted the fuselage silver. If I'd painted the wings blue instead (and light undersides) I'd have saved weight and yet still had an accurate paint scheme for a float version! Oh well....