HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Ryan STA EPO

hey, does anyone have this plane? I stumbled over it and it looks really nice, comes in white and red as well.
Was wondering if someone has some reports on how it flies/handles durability etc

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17337
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 11:34 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
I got mine this morning. Took about 40 minutes to put it together. Hopefully I'll be able to tell you how it flies when I get home tonight.

Mine is the red and white version. The lower surface of the wing has a black and white chequer-board decal which has split along the flap hinge lines and flap servo wells. Apart from that everything is fine.

The wing is moulded with quite a nice fabric effect with some sagging between the ribs. The fuselage has some detail too, with rivets and the stiffening ribs under the cockpit.
It has wire rigging, lightly tensioned with small springs. This seems to make for a very strong and resilient undercarriage.

The tail is a little over-sized, as are the wheel pants. There's no pilot and the windscreen is moulded in foam as part of the hatch. I'm not complaining, it's better than many 'scale' foamies, but it's not quite my idea of a scale model... I bought is as a knock-about model that satisfies my wish for scale appearance. If it flies well I'll add a pilot and a clear windscreen, and quite likely repaint it in a scale colour scheme. A H-K Pitts has performed this duty for the last year and although it's very semi-scale up close it does fly exceptionally well. I hope the Ryan will do the same.
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old May 30, 2011, 06:48 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Well, it turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated! I'm sure the model will fly OK but hand launching wasn't successful. Unsurprisingly, at full power and low speed it dives. I have to hand-launch all my models and seldom have a problem but the Ryan is more awkward than most. The dive is manageable at half throttle but it won't climb. When it's trimmed and the C of G is fine tuned a hand launch will be OK but I was lucky to get away without any damage on the first couple of attempts.

I tried taking off from the available grass surface but it was too rough. I'll have to find a better runway and try again.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:34 AM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
After 4 flights

Hi,
stock motor = 185 Watts @ 17 Amps with Zippy 20 C 1300 mAh 3S Lipo. Good thrust, enough power with stock prop (something like a 8,5 x 6).
Better with 9 x 3,8 TGY prop : Same power but better climb rate.
Reccomended settings for throws and CG are OK, good response.
When you open throttle, model clearly DIVES !!! I added a thin washer under the motor mount to have 1 up thrust, now it's absolutely perfect.
I've cut a hole under the pilot's seat for better cooling and locked rigging wire springs with plyers, now they won't move...
Good flight characteristics, flies slowly (thick wing profile) with no vice, a cute classic plane for classic aerobatics or relax flights, even with 10 Kts wind.
Overall quality is good, no junk equipments in this model.
XavierM is offline Find More Posts by XavierM
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:58 AM
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
728 Posts
Today our club fellow Shiro maidened his Ryan (white and red).
I hand-launched her.

As the airplane dived, Shiro applied some up trim. After trimmed, she flew so gently, so quietly and so slowly.

The ESC pulls 15amps static and it came a bit too hot after flying. It would be better to make some air intake for cooling the ESC.

I 've placed an order for the same one tonight

cvlex
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:15 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
XavierM,

what pilot did you use? - that looks really nice!

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:21 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
XavierM, I just want to confirm that the C of G on the instruction sheet is OK- 40mm from the leading edge?

I've had to put a fairly large lump of lead in the front of the battery compartment and I'm using the same Zippy battery as you.

Cheers
Rich
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
Boone, NC
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
I too have been looking at this plane, its about the only thing has been able to distract me from an art-tech corsair in the same price range. If anybody here has experience with both models, how does this one compare? I'm getting the sense that this one would be slightly more aerobatic. Also, regardless of what it would do to the scale looks, would it be reasonable to remove the landing gear if I wanted to belly land it in some decent grass?
doabarrelroll is offline Find More Posts by doabarrelroll
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:31 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
Anyone having problems getting the 40mm CG? I can't seem to get mine to balance with a 1200 nor a 1500 Mah battery pushed all the way forward. I even relocated the ESC to the side of the cowl and can't get the CG...

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:17 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Seems this bird may be a bit tail heavy. Im looking at purchasing the Blue/Yellow next pay.

Thinking that it may need an ESC replacement and perhaps a heavier battery?

Where about is the Battery position I cant quite tell from the Hobbyking Pictures.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:00 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doabarrelroll View Post
I too have been looking at this plane, its about the only thing has been able to distract me from an art-tech corsair in the same price range. If anybody here has experience with both models, how does this one compare? I'm getting the sense that this one would be slightly more aerobatic. Also, regardless of what it would do to the scale looks, would it be reasonable to remove the landing gear if I wanted to belly land it in some decent grass?
I couldn't live without having an AT Corsair on hand....GREAT first low-wing plane, probably a better flyer than this one is, but certainly NOT as tough...
As for removing the landing gear it would probably belly-flop just fine.
Brent Slensker is online now Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
I received my blue and yellow version last week, but found that the mounting screws for the landing gear were wrong and oddball and an oddball size to boot. Meanwhile, I have had a number of flights on a friends red and white model and am quite happy with the way it handles. Tail wheel directional authority can be vague in grass and the narrow tracked landing gear makes the Ryan a bit tippy. Still, no real problems getting her off the ground. Gentle power application makes for a smooth, scale-like take off. There is plenty of speed on tap, but this plane looks best when flown slow. I agree, a bit of upthrust would be beneficial. That checkerboard wing screams aerobatics and the Ryan doesn't disappoint, looping and rolling enthusiastically. Great roll rate. Power off, the Ryan has a rather high rate of descent, no doubt thanks to the plethora of rigging wires fastened to the wing and landing gear. I found leaving some power on during final to be the way to go, keeping the rate of descent acceptable and maintaining adequate control. Get things a bit too slow and the nose starts to wander as she begins nipping at the stall. Keep the wings level and give her a gentle flair and she will track straight and true on the roll out. Come in a little cockeyed and the narrow gear will show you the error of your ways.

There is a provision made for flaps in the wing with servo pockets already included. Servos are best installed before the gear and the rigging are mounted. Oddly, the pockets are set up both right and left, like the ailerons, which won't work for flaps. That wold give you one flap up and one down. You have to either modify one pocket to flip the servo over so both units work in unison, or get a reversing module for one of them. Flaps are more than a novelty and can be quite useful although their effectiveness varies from plane to plane. It will be interesting to see how they effect the Ryan.

This plane would benefit from a bit more airflow through the fuselage. Running the stock prop and power system, the ESC tended to get uncomfortably warm after a flight. Opening some holes in the bottom of the fuse, or venting the hot air out the cockpit would be a real help.

Overall, this is a great little airplane. Looks good, flies well, easy to transport, and gets lots of comments on the field. The price is reasonable, too. One glaring omission, however. This classic screams to have a pilot on board, preferably with a scarf blowing in the slipstream. Just doesn't look right without it!
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:37 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Hi there...

Last Saturday the weather here was really lousy! No flying possible, no sky diving either due to low clouds and rain...so I sat there surfing the (RC) web and found the EPO Ryan to be available in HKs German ware house. I ordered it together with two 1300 3S Lipos...81EUR shipped, not bad at all. The plane arrived on Wednesday evening and I spent the last two evenings putting it together. From the start I added some hinge tape to the various hinges...the rest came together following the manual, which, much to my surprise, was helpful! Well done HK...we are getting there! The foam material on mine is really excellent, a very smooth surface and a solid touch. Great...
What I did not like was the cockpit, no pilot and the windshield in solid EPO. That was changed quickly and a suitable pilot was sourced from the package Sparky from "Parkfliers Plastic" sent the other day. The guy without the oxygen mask looked perfect, it took a while until I figured whom he was created after... . So now she is ready for her maiden, hopefully tomorrow. The CG is not fully right yet, I have a 2200/30C stuffed all the way forward into the fuselage and I am now at where the support strut reaches the wing...at about 45mm May need to add some lead under the cowling tomorrow morning. I hope she flies as good as she looks...
A question to those who have flown her already, are the rudder settings correct? Elevator +/- 25mm is quite a lot, also +25/-15 on the ailerons is heavy. Do you set up Expo...if yes, how much?
Anyway, here are some pics of Lt. Fishburne ready for the maiden flight out off Tuskegee AB ...

A real Ryan only has a straight 6 engine, mine is a tuned version with a V8

cheers
Uwe
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anj4de View Post
Hi there...

Last Saturday the weather here was really lousy! No flying possible, no sky diving either due to low clouds and rain...so I sat there surfing the (RC) web and found the EPO Ryan to be available in HKs German ware house. I ordered it together with two 1300 3S Lipos...81EUR shipped, not bad at all. The plane arrived on Wednesday evening and I spent the last two evenings putting it together. From the start I added some hinge tape to the various hinges...the rest came together following the manual, which, much to my surprise, was helpful! Well done HK...we are getting there! The foam material on mine is really excellent, a very smooth surface and a solid touch. Great...
What I did not like was the cockpit, no pilot and the windshield in solid EPO. That was changed quickly and a suitable pilot was sourced from the package Sparky from "Parkfliers Plastic" sent the other day. The guy without the oxygen mask looked perfect, it took a while until I figured whom he was created after... . So now she is ready for her maiden, hopefully tomorrow. The CG is not fully right yet, I have a 2200/30C stuffed all the way forward into the fuselage and I am now at where the support strut reaches the wing...at about 45mm May need to add some lead under the cowling tomorrow morning. I hope she flies as good as she looks...
A question to those who have flown her already, are the rudder settings correct? Elevator +/- 25mm is quite a lot, also +25/-15 on the ailerons is heavy. Do you set up Expo...if yes, how much?
Anyway, here are some pics of Lt. Fishburne ready for the maiden flight out off Tuskegee AB ...

/snip!

cheers
Uwe
Mate she looks fantastic! Great Job on the Windscreen and Pilot.

As for rates, on any plane I usually start with 70% Throws and 30% Expo for low rates and High Rates at 100% throw and 30% expo.

Its a safe medium I have found works well for most planes.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:35 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
First flight = stall on approach

I couldn't resist a $50 used Ryan-STA. The original owner crashed on his first flight, and now I know why.

To summarize, despite landing with 30% flaps, I apparently stalled on landing. I was in a gentle right turn to line up with runway, when it flipped over to the left. I was probably flying too slow and doing an uncoordinated turn. At that altitude, there was no room to recover, so I just cut the throttle. Fortunately damage was minor.

CG is confusing. I added a 450 3S behind the recommended 1300mah, just to move the CG forward. I needed some up-trim at half throttle, but perhaps the CG was still not far enough forward. (Target = 40mm behind leading edge) Maybe I'll try a 2200 as recommended by anj4de.

Many of the wires came loose, as others have noted. They don't appear to have structural value. Other fixes needed: front cowl comes loose and gets chewed up by the prop. Cockpit not held on solidly enough.

I'm pretty new; my other plane is a PZ T-28 which is much more forgiving. This is not a beginner's plane!
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor