Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Eastcoast78, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:14 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Awe man!!! And as I was watching it I was thinking to myself, "COOL, you added a smoke thing-a-ma-jigger to the Cub" and then saw she was in trouble. Sorry to hear about flight #2 but that teaser of the Titan Jet looks NEAT!!!! Can't wait for that!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:44 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,309 Posts
The Maiden of the TitanJet should be back on my main page of Blog?
Yea smoke is not good,unless you have oil in Smoke machine lol...
Shes pretty much ready too fly again.lol
waiting on a new ESC now. I have the HK 40-50A and a Plush 30AESC on the way.
I cant really see the 8x4 pulling more then 20A at 1/2 throttle.(which is what i was at when ESC popped). I'm leaning towards OLD Cheap ESC(7ish years) + Poor Ventilation.
The Titan Jet has a RCTimer 30Aesc stuffed inside like you would not believe and she ran fine.
So hopefully the new ESC well be fine.
The over down/right thrust is fixed and she fly's great. Even after the ESC Blew,she was dead stick and she just glided like that too the ground. She was a bit slow on the turns but i never had a chance too test the Ail/Rudd mix.I think that well help her big time.
If she Goes down next flight, I may burn it !!! lmao. Maybe put the Floats on the Radian Pro lol
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Well you would be proud of me my friend! Nice flight with my Super Cub and an even better flight with RP this morning. No thermals but up at altitude (200'-400'AGL) there was a light breeze, more than enough blowing to keep her wings producing lift! 42mins of flight. Got home, got all my goodies ready to break into the micro J3 Cub, opened her up........ and everything was fine?!?!? My last flight the prop produced zero thrust past 1/2 throttle. Thought it was the gears/motor. But everything was fine. Went outside and tested her and flew fine?!? So now I'll taking her to the field with to fly her!! So for now the CA, accellerator, and new motor will be on stand by for the micro Cub, 'cause I'm sure I'll be needing 'em in the future!!!

My mouth is salivating to see that Titan Jet vid!!!

Good luck with your Cub, but it sure would look cool flying around on fire......
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:22 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,309 Posts
Cool man.Glad you had some flight tme. The TitanJet Vid is posted on my Blog page?

The ESC i used in the cub was an old one that im assuming was designed for the 10C Batterys that it came with in the old Sepac Extra300L from ebay, like 7 years ago. Funny thing is!! the geared in-runner thats on the TitanJet is the power system from that same plane. So i should of used the batt/ESC with the geared motor on the Jet.
Im guessing the Tgy1300 3S 30C, plus the 35-30/14T BL im using smoked it. I have a Plush 30A on the way now for the Cub. This poor plane as been to hell and back. lol. But shes ready again!! Just waiting for my HK order. But i think after i get my 30AESC she should be fine.(Again).
Esc's need airflow, But if its not made for a certant Brushless/battery system your going to run into trouble like i did. But thats how yea learn. You can have all the airflow in the world, like i was saying the RCTimer 30A in the Tjet has little vertilation, but she can handle the draw from the motor/Battery. Like the radain Pro for instances. Theres not much airflow but its meant to handle the load.
The 40-50Aesc i also have coming is for the TitanJet. Right now that geared
in-runer is ok. But not fast enough for my likeing lol
She weights 520g and id say the set up on her now is pulling/pushing 500-600g. Cause in the vid you can see her stall on a vert climb out.
So im looking now for a higher KV Brushless now somewhere in the range of 2000-3000kv/ so i can put a Prop somewher ein the range of 6x4 or 8x4
Something that well pull/push soemthing in the 700-800g range and pull 40-50A's heheh.
Ohh the fun you can have with scrachbuilds.lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:08 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
I'm kind of understanding the whole ESC/batt, but not understanding it enough. I'm in the process of reading an e-book from Aeajr: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31071

I know your skills are beyond this read but for me it's a good review and something to refer to, although I've only read the first few pages. So the ParkZone ESC I notice are 30A. I decided to try out some batteries from HK (ordered last night) and they are Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C. I saw they had 40C, so if I were to go with that type of batt that would fry the ESC right? Since it's a 30A I can go up to but not "exceed" the ESC rating? Is that how it works? And wow, a higher brushless motor for your Titan, that is to cool!!!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:19 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,309 Posts
Awesome rcoconut!!

Yea it can be abit tricky when it comes too Motor/ESC/Batteys. I understand it abit lol. Prime8 knows more about it then me.
A High rated C battery is just how much power the batt can put out. A 30A ESC well handle a high C rated Batt like that. But even though i had a 25A Esc in her. High Amp draw just from the motor alone was enough too fly that ESC. It was meant too work with that Low C rated batterys and the geared motor system. lol But i stuck it between a High powered BL and a High rated C battery .It was bound too FRY!!! lol
I use a 1800Mah Nano that is 40+C in the RP and its fine. The ESC is meant to take that type of load. Where you can also run into Problems is when you over Prop a motor and it works harder to spin that bigger Prop, which in turn well draw more amps.
Say if you have a 2200mah 30C battery/30Aesc and a 9x6 Prop. Lets say that set up draws 25A. Now you change that Prop too a 10x6 it will draw more amps(lets say 30A). Now your getting close too the limit of your ESC. Put a 11x6 and you'll be over 30A's (now this is all with WOT throttle). You would Prob get away with a 10' or 11' Prop if you were just cruising around at 50% Throttle with a few burst up too WOT. But no more them for a few seconds and had good airflow keeping temps down.
ESC's these days are more robust then the ones 7-8 years ago. Like the one i had. Most BL motor/ESC/Batterys these days well work together. But Lower C rated batterys are no too Popular. Usually on geared set up like i was using.
My Biggest mistake was putting that ESC with the High rated Batt and high BL motor.

Hope you get your Styker. Hmmmm I wonder well my the GF notice a new plane lol
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jun 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:57 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
pow works like this

wing span , -- usualy your prop is 1/5 your ws max , or torqe roll is bad
bu the larger prop the more efficient the thrust ..
but the more total amps it will make the motor draw .

pitch is a factor ...
for every inch i prop dia you go up you must reduce 1 pitch unit .
roughly that .

so now you decide on a prop and motor combo..
and max amps is 29 at wot , and motor gets warm.
but plane weighs 75% of it's calculated thrust

k so you need a esc that can cruise at 70% of 29 ...and burst to 29 +20%
-- so uh why bother esc's are cheap now .. but an esc with a standard rating = to max ampt at wot + 1/4
sp here 36.25 ... now round to nearest 5 .. 35 A
the esc will stay cool &

because the motor is not 'pulling' more out of the esc thta it was built for , the motor will only heat form it's own internal resistance .. so it will prolly stay cool to the touch when run in air flow.

ok now we know the esc is a 35a standard .. but will do 50 in burst ..(you will never use burst )
your lipo is the key now .

you decide a 1000mah lipo ( in what ever cell count is correct weight for CG )
you need to more than cover the 35a standard draw ..
so try to buy a lipo with a C rating tha give a lipo standard out put more then esc

so 1000 mah / 1000 = 1ah , X 40c = 40 amps
that will do ..

but whats this the 40c lipo says 40 -50c ... perfect .. why
becuase thd esc has a burst hat will hold 50 a for 45 sec ...
and this lipos burst will match
1000mah/1000 = 1ah x 50c(burst) = 50a (burst, for x number second)

now whichever one is lower .. esc says 45 sec & 50a before melt down

lipo says 20 seconds at 50a

so .. you can burstthis power system at 50a for 19 sec .. without worry..

but you won't need too cuz your prop only draws 29 A
but when you get used to that prop and speed you may be able to up the prop pitch later is you are carefull of your throttle management .

or more important , if you fly form grass , you may have a prop strike .. and grass is harde rthan air to push and you may get a power spike.

it's nice to know your power system will take that spike.

- only time you need to finess a power system is if you are trying to kep AUW low.

or buliding UM size craft .
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:07 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,309 Posts
See!!

What he said!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
I am NOT worthy guys!!! Great explanation, I got it..... but then I don't.... but then I got it!! Have to re-read a few times but it's right there damn it!! Thanks for taking the time to explain! And I am so bummed Mike!! I saw you posted a link for Jumpy to purchase the Turnigy nano-tech. You may remember I've had my eye on the HK OrangeRx and stuff. So I've had a "Wish List" a few weeks now. With the Turnigy LiPo's in the list, then I added the nano-tech after reading your post. I go to purchase the batts and only after I got my receipt I realize I purchased the wrong batteries!!! DAMN it!! Oh well, no drama, I'll stick with the regular ones and see how that goes, but my next purchase will be those nano-techs!

And as far as measuring the draw and all that other technical stuff..... I'm excited 'cause I got a $6USD thing that measures how much volts is in each cell!! So I may not quite understand your explanations, you'll be happy to know that I can tell you how much volts I have in my battery when they're charged and after I fly!!! Yippie!!
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:33 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,309 Posts
Decided to make a Rudder system for the Cub. I still havent had the chance too re-re maiden her. WX has been Crap!! I have Up's the Prop and a new RC Timer 30A esc.
So now the BL's/Esc/Prop are up too par!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:28 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
ha ! we have to take that to Duck pond , on teh bauline line extension .

LOL
it was flat as glass the other night .
LOL bring a dingy ..LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:10 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
That looks really nice Mike!!! Hope you guys get to check it out soon with that Wx up there! With all the upgrades that's not even a Cub anymore!!! Too cool!!