HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2011, 01:43 PM
United States, NJ, Marlboro Township
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Help!
Turnigy and Hobbywing ESCs will not arm

Hi,

I need some advise on how to program/arm the Turnigy and Hobbywing ESC. I first used the Turnigy plush 30 ESC on Turnigy motor. I programed the ESC using the Turnigy Programming Card. First I turned on the transmitter, moved the throttle stick all the way to the top (max), connect the battery to the ESC. I heard the initialization beeb, moved the throttle stick all the way down. Unplugged the ESC battery, turned off the transmitter. Then turned the transmitter on, plugged the battery to the ESC. But when I moved the throtlle stick up, nothing happen, the motor did not arm. I reversed the throttle channel (Futaba radio) but did not help. I tried low, medium, and high timing. I also tried the various music combinations as per the programming card. Nothing work. There was no music tone, just the initialization beeps. I then switched to Hobbywing 40 amp ESC (programmed using the programming card) and same thing happened, nothing. I would appreciate it if anybody could help me out on this.
helipk is offline Find More Posts by helipk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 12:56 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,842 Posts
Set throttle endpoints on your radio to their maximum.ESC needs to see max OFF and max ON to function, some radio's need larger range from point ot point. FWIW Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old May 24, 2011, 05:11 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Also, turn on radio with the throttle wide open. Wait for the esc to start beeping in program mode then immediately move the stick to neutral. This will reset the throttle range.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old May 24, 2011, 06:12 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipk View Post
I reversed the throttle channel (Futaba radio) but did not help.
Throttle on a Futaba radio must be set to reverse. Also check that the throttle channel endpoints are at 100%, and that the throttle trim is centered.

To calibrate, move the tx throttle stick fully up, turn on the tx and then plug the battery into the ESC. Wait until it makes 2 beeps (it may play a little tune before this), then pull the throttle stick down and wait until it makes 2~6 short beeps (cell count) and finally 1 long beep. You should now be able to run the motor.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old May 24, 2011, 08:01 AM
United States, NJ, Marlboro Township
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Turnigy and Hobbywing ESCs will not arm

I finally got it to work. Thanks to everybody for your kind advices and support.
helipk is offline Find More Posts by helipk
Old May 24, 2011, 07:09 PM
IFLYSLOW
Selah
Joined Jan 2008
50 Posts
motor will not arm

I need help on this mess I have. I refer to Bruce Abbott,Lipoflyer and Doug Bartley as they helped Helipk with his problem and mine is close to his.

1. Futaba Skysport 6A transmitter (1998 model)
2. Futaba FP-R127DF FM 7 chl receiver
3. Turnigy Plush 40A bec esc
4. E-flite Power 10 1100 kv outrunner
5. Zippy Flitemax 3 cell 11.1 volt 2200 mah lipo battery

First how do I reverse the throttle?

I have the esc programmed using the Turnigy program card.

I open the throttle to full, throttle trim is centered, T/O transmitter, plug in lipo and I get a musical note and that is all. Nothing else happens. I wait and wait and still nothing. I can unplug the lipo and try it again and the same music note and thats all.

I can move the rudder and elevator stick and get movement but the motor does not arm. Maybe you can help me with this mess or maybe someone else can chime in and help. I am open to all. OH this set up is in my Multiplex Fun Cub.

Thanks,

Letmefly aka Bob
LETMEFLY is offline Find More Posts by LETMEFLY
Old May 24, 2011, 08:24 PM
IFLYSLOW
Selah
Joined Jan 2008
50 Posts
motor will not arm

I had a call in to Horizon hobby concerning my problem with the motor not arming.

Ole slow me had the bec plugged into the battery slot on the receiver. I should have had it plugged into slot 3 on the receiver. When I first turned everything on the throttle was all the way down and the motor was howling. I just reversed the throttle switch in the back of the transmitter and now it works the way it should. Throttle stick all the way down and motor off.

Thanks to any of you that might have offered help. Now its time to get this new bird airborne.

Hope this makes sense.

Bob
Old May 25, 2011, 03:50 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipk View Post
I finally got it to work. Thanks to everybody for your kind advices and support.
So what was it
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old May 25, 2011, 01:29 PM
IFLYSLOW
Selah
Joined Jan 2008
50 Posts
motor arming

Lipoflyer,

Read my last posting. I had put the bec connection into the battery slot in the receiver.

The bec wire needed to be put into the throttle slot on the receiver. I had the tech from Horizon Hobby talk me thru it the whole time.

I now can leave the throttle all the way down, throttle trim half way, turn on the transmitter, plug in the lipo and my Turnigy Plush esc will sing a little song, beep three times and then a long beep. I can then just barely move the throttle lever and the motor starts spinning. I just needed some good help to get it going.

I would have went to the newer Spektrum but could not affort it right now and I had this 1998 Futaba radio set just sitting around. It now works flawlessly.

Bob