EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Feda,
how about those motor shafts.

I nosed in again today and the prop adaptor came out straight and the motor shaft is now completely stuffed beyond repair.

If I had some spare shafts it might not be a problem.

Am I now regretting getting that motor combo with my Extra 300L?
Hey bigroger,

The shaft is here to order: http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=336

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:18 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair214 View Post
anyone know yet where to order these?
SkyWing says the planes for the US market are in production. You probably need to wait for a couple of months before you can get hold of one in the US.

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:22 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks for that Feda.

I've ordered 3 now, gives me a couple of spares.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:55 PM
United States, TX, Cinco Ranch
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
if u willing to sell one I will take it
P.M.S is offline Find More Posts by P.M.S
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:06 PM
Aussie 3DHS Addict :-)
Port Denison, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Its a 4mm shaft, 53mm long, c-clip groove right at the tip of one end and flat section for the grub screw in the bell housing about 36mm from the c-clip groove.

Any ideas?
I see Bestvalue Rc have them in now , but if you get stuck again , always keep in mind Aircraft-world for motor parts that can be used in other brands
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3752

This is a shaft i found that would fit , they are not cheep though!
WOOSHKA is offline Find More Posts by WOOSHKA
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:40 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks Wooska.

The only problem with that shaft is that the motor requires me to use collet type prop adaptor, so I would have to grind a spot for the C clip and re-grind a spot for the grub screw for the bell housing.

I've got the ones from Feda ordered now.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:44 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
Need some advice.
I'm still learning the basics of 3D.
Should I use servo extension arms on all four servos or should I start with the stock arms first? Servos are HK 929MG.
Thanks.
jsec1992 is offline Find More Posts by jsec1992
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:58 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsec1992 View Post
Need some advice.
I'm still learning the basics of 3D.
Should I use servo extension arms on all four servos or should I start with the stock arms first? Servos are HK 929MG.
Thanks.
Why don't you setup the plane for full throws, and use use dual rates on the radio.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:45 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
Yes, I can do that.
So I should skip the extension arms?
Based on the pictures I see in the various large Skywing threads, most do not use any extensions. Is it because the control surfaces are large enough?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:01 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Personally I would use them.They were out of stock when I ordered so I bodgied up some home made ones for the ailerons.I am getting just enough throw on elevator without them,rudder probably doesn't need them.
The thing is though,I am driving my ele and ail servos at or near 150% travel adjust which is apparently not that good for them or so I've heard.
I would like some more elevator throw also,so with my next purchase I will get some.Thing is,you can always dial the throws back or use dual rates,but you are mechanically limited to the max throw by the length of your servo horn.
You may not want or need the throw now,but trust me you will later.
My advice,get them and futureproof your setup.You dont even have to use the outermost hole,but it is there for future wildness!
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:34 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
The thing is jsec.

I tried the ailerons without extension arms and even at 140% throw I was only getting about 30-35 deg. I found that on 3s and 13x6.5 prop in hover and trying to counter the torque that I just didn't have enough aileron to counteract.

As soon as I got the throw up to 45 deg it was no problem.

Having only recently moved from sport flying into learning 3D, I would look at these big ailerons and assume you don't need big throws for big effect. That is correct, at flight speed. 3D is a lot of the time below stall speed and that makes a huge difference to how the surfaces respond.

Get some extensions, and dial it down while you get comfortable.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:01 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
I misunderstood your post. Thought you were saying using dual rates will be good enough. I will be more than happy to use the extensions and dial them down initially. Feda's got the screws on the way to me.

The supplied X-mount (combo) don't line up with the pre-drilled holes on the firewall and the pre-drilled holes don't seem centralised too. Can't find an alternative X-mount in the LHS. Did you guys have this issue as well?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:26 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsec1992 View Post
The supplied X-mount (combo) don't line up with the pre-drilled holes on the firewall and the pre-drilled holes don't seem centralised too. Can't find an alternative X-mount in the LHS. Did you guys have this issue as well?
The pre-drilled holes will not line up because of the built-in right thrust offset. Once a motor and propeller is mounted the propeller will be close to centralised.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:12 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Don't stress too much jsec.

After a few smashes and ripping out and re-glueing the fire wall it will all seem so funny looking back.

You don't need to be too precise with these things. Just take it out and fly the crap out of it.

As to the servo arm extensions. Without them the plane will fly ok and even 3D ok. More throw is always better as you get more skills.

I was like you, my first few flight I thought, ' hell these ailerons have a lot of throw and the roll rate is fast'. Then down at 3D speed, I was saying, 'I wish I could get more throw out of those ailerons'.

Just dial it down with dual rates until your ready and comfortable.