HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:35 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Has anyone thought of or tried fitting a Thrust 30 or Thrust 40 into this plane?

Of course I'll have to turn the shaft around and use a cross mount but I thought for the weight these things put out pretty good power to weight.

Also, Groove- the scorpion motor seems like its can is heaps longer than the AX3715 that I have with the combo. How have you gone with length? Talking about the motor of course.

HK still haven't shipped the Scorpion I ordered last week... bugger.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Last edited by bigroger; Oct 11, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:43 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Has anyone thought of or tried fitting a Thrust 30 or Thrust 40 into this plane?

Of course I'll have to turn the shaft around and use a cross mount but I thought for the weight these things put out pretty good power to weight.

Also, Groove- the scorpion motor seems like its can is heaps longer than the AX3715 that I have with the combo. How have you gone with length? Talking about the motor of course.

HK still haven't shipped the Scorpion I ordered last week... bugger.
Not me. A Thrust 30 won't provide enough thrust for my tastes without getting hot. A Thrust 40 would be a pain to fit to this plane and in my own tests I feel that the Scorpion 3020-890 has more headroom for prop'ing up beyond an APC 13x6.5e. The Thrust 40 shall remain in my PA Ultimate AMR. The length of the Scorpion is fine.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:01 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Ok Feda,
I really need you to investigate replacement motor shafts for these AX3715 1000kV motors please.

I had a go at straightening mine the other day, but it seems every time I have a slight nose over on landing I cause the shaft to bend a little and gets a wobble.

I've sent an email to 'Max'. Not sure if that is you or one of your people in China.

If you can get these shafts I'll buy a few to be on the safe side.

I'd rather buy some then try and buy a generic and grind the grooves and so forth to try and make it fit.
Yeah, the shafts are available. I will put them on my web site soon.

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:07 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
Roger,just be careful with that motor/prop combo.I have strong lipos and I was getting 48 odd amps and the motor was getting too hot.
Depends how heavy you are on the throttle,but it is outside it's efficiency level/getting toward burnout territory I think.
If I was to do it again(and I will!)I will be going for the 800kv motor I think,or use one of my Hackers.
Bleary
Hi Bleary,

What if you use a prop one size down, say a 12x6 or 13x4?

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:01 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I've been using APC 13x4 and Vox 13x5 and 13x6.5 this week and its seems OK.

Motor doesn't get anywhere near as hot, ESC still gets hots but I have a 45A unit so it not a big deal.

Performance in the air, the APC13x4 is fast and loud. Performance is different to the APC 13x6.5 in that the throttle response is fast and it doesn't seem to prop hang as well as the higher pitch prop.

Didn't really notice any difference in flight time to be honest.

The APC13x6.5 or the Vox13x6.5 just feels right for this plane. The slow flight and the high aerobatics seems better. The KE flight seems more stable on the 6.5 pitch as well.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:03 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
The blue Extra was delivered today. Did a quick inventory check and discovered these missing parts:
- the two wing roots
- the two wooden horns for the ailerons

Feda/Max - could you look into this please?
Max, I'll send you an email soon.

Question for everybody -
I've got the 1000kv motor combo. How do you guys mount the motor onto the firewall?
Directly?
Do you just use plain screws (like self-tapping screws)? I don't see anyway to use nuts to secure the screws?

Thanks!
jsec1992 is offline Find More Posts by jsec1992
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:08 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
jsec.

I'll answer for these guys.

The wing roots will be taped together and in the box.

They look like little wedges with some paint on them (in your case blue). I almost missed mine as I thought they were part of the packaging material.

The horns are no longer wood. They are plastic. Look at the plastic parts and check the number, should be 4 horns in total. The ailerons glue into the slots. The tail ones have matching retainers that push together with the horn on the other side of the surface.

The 1000kV motor screws directly to the fire wall with your own self tappers. Use something longer than servo mount screws, I used servo screws first time and they pulled out first time I nosed the plane in at speed.

The fire wall already has thrust angle built in, so just screw the cross brace straight on.
Also, if you have a better cross brace use that instead of the one with the motor. That black supplied one is as soft as butter and will also break off in quick order.

Have fun.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:05 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
Thanks for helping out bigroger.

Found the roots! The are pasted onto the bottom of the box with the colour side down so all I saw yesterday was another piece of white foam used to hold the fuse in place!

OK - the horns are good.

I'll use longer self tappers. Any need to CA them? A little uncomfortable leaving them just screwed in. Won't vibration loosen them over time?

I asked in the MXS forum about glassing the insides of the nose to firm them four sides up. Any advantage to dong this?

The Extra is way larger than the 900mm HK Yak EPP I'm flying now and learning 3D with. Should be great fun and handle the wind well too.

Cheers
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:16 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
jsec,
no ned to CA the motor mount screws in unless you want to generally CA the fire wall for strength. I watered down wood glue and painted it onto the firewall to firm it up a bit. Its a standard method in balsa planes for the motor mount cage anyway.

I wouldn't worry about vibration loosening your screws, in all honesty, unless your flying up high nice and safe, I ding my Extra at least every second outing because I'm pushing my limits and skills down low in order to advance my abilities, which is why you fly these sorts of things rather than just balsa planes.

I'm still trying to get the hang of stable harriers and stationary hovers with this thing like I see groovjet doing on the videos. I can hover for 5-10 seconds with a bit (lot) of wobble before I have to punch out, but every outing that hover gets longer and more stable.

My harriers still need a lot of work, it ain't like harriering a small EPP foamy like the HK Tristana, which I can harrier around my backyard like its a little RC tractor.

These are great planes and very confidence inspiring.

By the way, when repairing these things be careful about CA choice. The inner skin is made from DEPRON, not EPO like I first thought. Normal CA eats the inner structure like no tomorrow.

I generally do most repairs with PU and a bit or water or UHU Por depending on the area.
The UHU Por is so strong you will be amazed at how well it holds this thing together.

For the landing gear, I dribbled PU into the areas before and after the wire was pushed in then I pushed the retaining ply wood slice in behind it. The structure is rock solid and although I've belly landed hard several times and squashed the wires flat I haven't damaged the gear mount at all.

By the way, how does the HK 900mm yak fly?

I've been thinking about my next backyard epp plane, these skywing planes are just too big and powerful for my back yard and my tristana is looking a bit like Frankenstein plane with all the repair and tape holding it together.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
Bigroger,

Thanks for the tip on treating the balsa motor mount. I have a balsa Pilatus Porter and I glassed the entire motor mount. I'll look out for wood glue and UHU Por locally. The LG area will definitely be strenghtened.

I have this glue on the way - hopefully it will work: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7525

Bought the HK Yak EPP speifically to learn 3D. It flies OK for me - I'm no expert though. But its tough and easy to repair. Mine has gone through countless crashes but its the first plane I take out at the field. It won't handle wind well given its size and weight.

Now I hope the MG servos and ESC will arrive this week ....
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:01 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
989 Posts
were can i get one of these planes. i found them on bestvalue and it says they no longer can sell them to us in the USA. so who sells them now in the USA?

thanks andrew k
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:35 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Feda,
how about those motor shafts.

I nosed in again today and the prop adaptor came out straight and the motor shaft is now completely stuffed beyond repair.

If I had some spare shafts it might not be a problem.

Am I now regretting getting that motor combo with my Extra 300L?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:01 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Well, I've installed my Torque motor from my unbuilt EF edge 48" into the skywing extra today. The combo motor shaft is completely stuffed and am waiting for feda to come up with info about the replacement shafts. Damn 4mm shafts.

The Torque motor has no issues with an APC 13x6.5 prop but it doesn't have the thrust that combo 1000kV motor had.

I might try up sizing the prop to Vox14x7 and see how many amps and watts I', pulling.

The apc 13x6 was about 37amps and 360watts on the torque motor.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:15 AM
Aussie 3DHS Addict :-)
Port Denison, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
Bigroger , why cant you give us the shaft dimensions , one of us may be able to come with another brand of shaft , that's what i have done in the past
WOOSHKA is offline Find More Posts by WOOSHKA
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:38 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Its a 4mm shaft, 53mm long, c-clip groove right at the tip of one end and flat section for the grub screw in the bell housing about 36mm from the c-clip groove.

Any ideas?