HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:19 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
OK Feda,
I admit the plane is a great flyer and I'll be honest to combo motor is a freight train.

But, that damn prop adapter that comes with the motor must be made of butter.

A nose over on landing and its bent to buggery and wobbles like an old woman's left jug!

Any chance of replacement prop adapters for this 1000kV motor?

Or any recommendations from Hk or the like?
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:24 AM
Aussie 3DHS Addict :-)
Port Denison, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
I buy my prop adapters from here bigroger ,all top quality and cheap postage
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...+PROP+ADAPTERS
WOOSHKA is offline Find More Posts by WOOSHKA
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:32 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks Wooshka.

On closer investigation just now it is the motor shaft rather than the adaptor that has the death wobble.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:42 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Well, about an hour of motor surgery and the shaft is straight again and running true.

I've got a turnigy Light wood e 13x6 I want to try and see if it takes some of the amps off the battery during flight.

I tried it today but with the bent shaft I'm not sure I got a true idea of its performance.

Sure sounds a lot different to the APC 13x6.5e I had on at the start.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:04 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,903 Posts
Some photos from today

groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:05 AM
Aussie 3DHS Addict :-)
Port Denison, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
Bit of a fleet going there Scott

Bigroger , it probably isn't to hard to change the shaft over , a bend shaft can cause a whole lot of issues, i run a 13x4 wood prop on my mxs and think it suits me better than the 13x6.5 apc

I ordered a 39" sbach today as i have a spare set of running gear for a plane that size
WOOSHKA is offline Find More Posts by WOOSHKA
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:24 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
What a sweet fleet Groove.

Very nice indeed.

I must admit the three times I've tossed my Extra300L into the air it certainly draws a crowd.

Every one that wanders over cannot believe its EPP foam. (I don't tell them it EPO under the skin).

They see me ripping up blenders and KE's and flat upright and inverted spins and lovely KE spins then they say 'Oh it a foam plane'.

Groove, what motor prop combo did you and Nac end up settling on for the 48" planes?
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:11 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,903 Posts
Thanks guys.

Bigroger, Nac and I are currently happy with a Scorpion 3020-890 and APC 13x6.5e for good power and great efficiency. I tried a Vox 14x7 wood prop on the Scorp and it gives a bit more thrust at higher amps but the APC 13x6.5e is sufficient for the way I fly and the APC props are much cheaper; an important factor when I break props on these planes all the time!

Here's a video of my Extra from yesterday. It's only in standard definition at the moment since I used up my Vimeo HD quota on my Yak video. I'll update it to HD when I can.

http://www.vimeo.com/30260612
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:00 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2009
193 Posts
Hi guys, my Extra (the combo with 1000KV motor)has arrived in Singapore. Should be getting it within the next two days or so. But the MG servos, ESC $& prop are still stuck in HK.
This will be my alternate trainer - one to be flown more than three mistakes high!
jsec1992 is offline Find More Posts by jsec1992
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:23 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
OK guys.

Got my watt meter today and did a test on the Extra.

With the 1000kV combo motor and APC13x6.5 prop I get the following peak numbers.

44.6A and 500.9Watts at full throttle for 15 seconds.

Using a Turnigy light electric 13x6 wood prop: 47.2A and 512Watts peak.

Not bad, as I have the Turnigy AE45A speedy so looks like I'm good to go.

Think I'll stay with the APC prop.

Nice video Groove.

Still makes me jealous of your flying ability.

It must be nice to have the plane go where and how you actually point it??

It behaves quite interesting with the SFG's on the wings. I found myself doing some slow harriers cross the field to discover as it gets closer that its actually cross tracking sideways on a few occasions as I had a bit of rudder working and didn't realise because the wing didn't drop and it tracked flat?

Great planes.

Lets see how long this motor lasts.

how many watts and amps are you getting with that prop/motor combination?
Last edited by bigroger; Oct 09, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:35 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Groove,
the other thing I was going to say is.

Even these APC props gets expensive after a while, I experimented with APC copies from HK but found the balance was terrible.

Now I get my APC's from PA in Sydney. Is that the cheapest place you think?

Have you found anyone stocking those Scorpion motors yet? HK and ARCrc seems sold out?
Last edited by bigroger; Oct 09, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:31 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Roger,just be careful with that motor/prop combo.I have strong lipos and I was getting 48 odd amps and the motor was getting too hot.
Depends how heavy you are on the throttle,but it is outside it's efficiency level/getting toward burnout territory I think.
If I was to do it again(and I will!)I will be going for the 800kv motor I think,or use one of my Hackers.
Bleary
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:35 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsec1992 View Post
Hi guys, my Extra (the combo with 1000KV motor)has arrived in Singapore. Should be getting it within the next two days or so. But the MG servos, ESC $& prop are still stuck in HK.
This will be my alternate trainer - one to be flown more than three mistakes high!
Welcome to the Skywing club jsec . Lately it seems that many of my Hobby King orders are going via Singapore, so the next time one passes through can you give it a push to speed it along ? .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
how many watts and amps are you getting with that prop/motor combination?
See the graph below for the Scorp 3020-890 on an APC 13x6.5e. Nac and I are intentionally prop'ing down a tad on this motor compared to what it can handle, since it has sufficient performance and is very economical. For more power you can run a Vox 14x7 wood prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Groove,
the other thing I was going to say is.

Even these APC props gets expensive after a while, I experimented with APC copies from HK but found the balance was terrible.
Nac and I use APC style props from Hobby King and they are fine once you balance them. I need to balance my APC props too. I wish there was an APC style 13x6.5e prop. There isn't, so nac and I buy the genuine item.

I get my APC props from www.aircraft-world.com in Japan. Shipping is so cheap you won't believe it!

Try www.windrider.com.hk for Scorpion motors.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:36 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Just put another 3 packs through mine this morning.

Getting lower and lower every pack.

Its so responsive in harrier and hover and knife edge without being over aggressive.

I swapped out the corona Digitals in the wings for the MG14's and it feels far more predictable in the response of the ailerons.

Its a hover beast, so easy.

Still haven't worked out how to correct the torque roll yet without popping it out of hover each time. Maybe I need to gain a little more finess on the sticks.

Had to pack up early as dodging the damn council pack mower was getting too damn difficult.

Love this plane.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:52 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Ok Feda,
I really need you to investigate replacement motor shafts for these AX3715 1000kV motors please.

I had a go at straightening mine the other day, but it seems every time I have a slight nose over on landing I cause the shaft to bend a little and gets a wobble.

I've sent an email to 'Max'. Not sure if that is you or one of your people in China.

If you can get these shafts I'll buy a few to be on the safe side.

I'd rather buy some then try and buy a generic and grind the grooves and so forth to try and make it fit.