HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:59 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Are you using HXT900 or SG90 servos in this plane? Remove them and insert some MG14 servos.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:43 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Yep I agree,they are good little servos for small foamies but not up to the task for this plane.Even if they don't strip right away,they do not have anywhere near the torque to handle the control surface size and weight of this plane.
Quite happy with the MG14's from HK that GJ recomends,strong and cheap.
Bleary
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:46 PM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Are you using HXT900 or SG90 servos in this plane? Remove them and insert some MG14 servos.
I've been using the hxt900s.

Hopefully I'm getting a delivery of the mg14s this week.
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:12 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
It's ready!!!!

I received a few Scorpion motors today, so I finally finished off this plane. It looks fantastic .
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:00 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Flown!

Hey guys,

I just got back from the park after maidening my Skywing 48" Extra .

I flew 7 packs in the plane and can confidently say that Skywing has another winner! The Extra has the same high quality flight characteristics as the MXS, which means it is a huge amount of fun .

I didn't fly the MXS today to do a direct comparison with the Extra, but based on today's session in some wind I feel that the Extra and the MXS are very similar in flight characteristics. I was hoping for just that; another plane that's as awesome to fly as the MXS but has different looks. Now that I have 2 of Skywing's awesome 48" planes I can really go feral knowing that I have a spare .
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:52 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
It is great isn't it?
I will be interested in any comparisons you can make as I am looking at getting another one of these size planes.Also do you use a 13' props with those slightly lower kv motors? I may have to try some different motors.
Bleary.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:57 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
I must say that the Skywing MXS has been my favourite foamie by far, and gets taken out with me every time I go out for a fly.

So I decided I needed another one just in case my first one gets damaged.

Order placed for the extra.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:52 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
Just wonder! if there is a plans for giant EPP said 60''- 72''-or even bigger, don't get me wrong Balsa are nicer, but too stressful for every day fun fly. "for me at least"

It only a thought........
matk is online now Find More Posts by matk
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:12 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
It is great isn't it?
I will be interested in any comparisons you can make as I am looking at getting another one of these size planes.Also do you use a 13' props with those slightly lower kv motors? I may have to try some different motors.
Bleary.
Yes it's great, great, great . I continue to be amazed by the quality of Skywing's planes.

Once I am more familiar with the Extra I will do my best to describe the differences between it and the MXS. I noticed a few subtle things but I wish to fly both planes back to back on a windless day to ensure that it was not related to the wind when I maidened it.

I use an APC 13x6.5e prop on my Scorpion 3020-890 motors, drawing 40A. I have also tried a VOX 14x7 wood prop. It drew 45 amps and didn't seem any quicker in vertical climb or level speed. It also didn't feel right to me. I have tried a few wood props and I just didn't like their feel compared to APC thin electric props.

I'm looking forward to flying both MXSes and Extras with nac once he gets his Extra flying .
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:35 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
I flew the Skywing Extra tonight after work in very light wind. This allowed me to trim it out better than when I maidened it in some wind. I got off to a bad start by doing a snap roll immediately after takeoff and nosing it in. The only damage was a broken prop. I had a spare, so after a quick prop change I was airborne and had 5 enjoyable flights. It really is a sensational plane and is a great companion to the similarly sensational Skywing MXS!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:50 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Good stuff GJ,I think I will try mine without the SFG this weekend to see what difference they make,would like to up the roll rate a bit,though I think I need the longer CF arms that are now back in stock....
Do you have an opinion on the SBach? it certainly looks the business!
http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=297
Cheers,
Bleary.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:10 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Hey Bleary,

Definitely give it a try without the SFGs to see if you like it. I'm currently flying both my MXS and Extra without SFGs.

Today I ordered a Skywing 48" Yak in the curve scheme. The Yak has a slightly longer fuselage than the MXS and Extra that I already have.

I've never tried the 49" Sbach, but for quite a while the 42" Sbach (perhaps discontinued) was my favourite foamy. It has a fast roll rate due to large ailerons and great pitch response due to a short fuselage. I have two 42" Sbachs. I haven't bought a 49" Sbach yet because I expect that it will be quite similar to my 42" Sbachs, perhaps a little more stable.

BTW here are some videos of my 42" Sbachs.

Skywing Sbach 342 - Red Hot Sbach!! (3 min 37 sec)

http://www.vimeo.com/12233003
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:39 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Man,great vids! You are smashing it out there buddy!
I like your theory on the Yak,a longer tail would probably suit my crappy flying style better.
Good stuff,
Bleary.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:54 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Thanks mate. BTW the Skywing Sbach has a new colour scheme and new proportions that should make is smoother to fly. Check out the last few posts on this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266576 I'm gonna see if I can swap my Yak order to a yellow Sbach order .
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:08 PM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post

Definitely give it a try without the SFGs to see if you like it. I'm currently flying both my MXS and Extra without SFGs.
Groovejet, is there much difference with KE and harriers without SFGs?
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK