HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:54 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,773 Posts
So the skywing EXTRA i just ordered from bestvaluerc a piece of ST because it doesnt have 3DHS printed on it.

Sorry guys i just had to.Another proud AUSTRALIAN

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:54 AM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
So if I'm in the USA, where should I order this or the MXS from? Bestvalue says I can't order form there.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Dec 09, 2011, 03:09 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
No you can't due to the arrangement 3DHS has with Skywing.Maybe you can pressure 3DHS to relabel more of these planes under their banner,probably your only option as this stage.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Dec 09, 2011, 03:42 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
I asked them about it in an email, waiting to hear back.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Dec 09, 2011, 03:48 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
Sadly, you're out of luck as far as buying the Skywing kits from bestvaluerc.com. This situation feels so strange to me; a great range of products that are kept away from the Americans,whilst those outside of the US can buy them for a very, very good price. In my experience, usually the people outside of the US have more trouble sourcing products and often pay a much higher price.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:16 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Sadly, you're out of luck as far as buying the Skywing kits from bestvaluerc.com. This situation feels so strange to me; a great range of products that are kept away from the Americans,whilst those outside of the US can buy them for a very, very good price. In my experience, usually the people outside of the US have more trouble sourcing products and often pay a much higher price.
Personally I don't like these planes as I rather have a balsa for the price, but if they start selling like all other 3dhs planes, I can imagine 3dhs sales volume commanding 100% of skywing capacity and then guess what will happen to the Australian market............
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:40 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
Personally I don't like these planes as I rather have a balsa for the price, but if they start selling like all other 3dhs planes, I can imagine 3dhs sales volume commanding 100% of skywing capacity and then guess what will happen to the Australian market............
The Skywing planes cost me about $110 AUD to land here if I buy them one at a time and pay for EMS shipping. An EF plane costs me about $265 AUD to land here and a 3DHS one costs about $255 AUD at current exchange rates. That means I can buy more than 2 Skywing planes for the airframe cost of a single EF or 3DHS plane. Some extra money can be saved on the foamies by using cheaper components. I crash them a lot and prefer to use cheaper servos that are plenty precise enough for the planes that I use them on; in calm conditions the Skywing planes using cheap servos are super, super crisp. I know a few "tricks" about setting up servos, pushrods, control horns, hinges etc. that make a noticeable difference compared to my earlier efforts. BTW In general I prefer 48" balsas to smaller balsas so my costs are based on that.

You and I don't know the full details of the agreement between Skywing and 3DHS. Who's to say that Skywing don't wish to keep enough production reserve for their own Skywing branded planes? They have had a market in China for a while and Max Xu who owns www.bestvaluerc.com introduced them to the English speaking world too. People are used to 3DHS planes being sold out and on long backorders, so why not the same with these Skywing produced kits? Perhaps Skywing make more profit on their own kits. Perhaps they make more on the 3DHS kits. Who knows? One thing for sure is the the 3DHS kits have a much higher price but you and I don't know where all of the extra cost is coming from. We can make some assumptions about shipping, storage, salaries of the sellers and salaries of the buyers etc., but we don't know the full details of this.

Having said all that, I have stocked up on Skywing kits in recent weeks in case what you say occurs. I did this because I have a history of finding plane kits that just suit me perfectly and then those kits are no longer available. Examples being the Exscend CST Katana, which was hands-down the best smaller EPP plane about 3 years ago but the company went under due to a lack of interest. Next to disappear were the Copperhead Extra and Yak Stiffy planes right when they were a great fit to my flying style and experience at the time. I've since moved on from those planes and now find that the Skywing 48" EPP planes are just fantastic for my needs, so based on past history I decided to buy a few extra kits. I currently have 1 each of the Skywing MXS, Extra, Sbach and Yak flying and I have 3 spare MXS kits and 1 spare Sbach kit. I think you can guess which Skywing plane is my favourite .
Last edited by groovejet; Dec 10, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:38 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
979 Posts
what is everyone running for CG?
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:30 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
The Skywing planes cost me about $110 AUD to land here if I buy them one at a time and pay for EMS shipping. An EF plane costs me about $265 AUD to land here and a 3DHS one costs about $255 AUD at current exchange rates. That means I can buy more than 2 Skywing planes for the airframe cost of a single EF or 3DHS plane. Some extra money can be saved on the foamies by using cheaper components. I crash them a lot and prefer to use cheaper servos that are plenty precise enough for the planes that I use them on; in calm conditions the Skywing planes using cheap servos are super, super crisp. I know a few "tricks" about setting up servos, pushrods, control horns, hinges etc. that make a noticeable difference compared to my earlier efforts. BTW In general I prefer 48" balsas to smaller balsas so my costs are based on that.

You and I don't know the full details of the agreement between Skywing and 3DHS. Who's to say that Skywing don't wish to keep enough production reserve for their own Skywing branded planes? They have had a market in China for a while and Max Xu who owns www.bestvaluerc.com introduced them to the English speaking world too. People are used to 3DHS planes being sold out and on long backorders, so why not the same with these Skywing produced kits? Perhaps Skywing make more profit on their own kits. Perhaps they make more on the 3DHS kits. Who knows? One thing for sure is the the 3DHS kits have a much higher price but you and I don't know where all of the extra cost is coming from. We can make some assumptions about shipping, storage, salaries of the sellers and salaries of the buyers etc., but we don't know the full details of this.

Having said all that, I have stocked up on Skywing kits in recent weeks in case what you say occurs. I did this because I have a history of finding plane kits that just suit me perfectly and then those kits are no longer available. Examples being the Exscend CST Katana, which was hands-down the best smaller EPP plane about 3 years ago but the company went under due to a lack of interest. Next to disappear were the Copperhead Extra and Yak Stiffy planes right when they were a great fit to my flying style and experience at the time. I've since moved on from those planes and now find that the Skywing 48" EPP planes are just fantastic for my needs, so based on past history I decided to buy a few extra kits. I currently have 1 each of the Skywing MXS, Extra, Sbach and Yak flying and I have 3 spare MXS kits and 1 spare Sbach kit. I think you can guess which Skywing plane is my favourite .
yes, but for me it is 129.99 vs 149.99 so I rather fly the 48" edge for $20 more and use the smaller even more durable foamies for practice
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:21 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
what is everyone running for CG?
I never measure CG. I just put the battery where I think it might need to be and test fly to tweak the location. I do this with foamies and balsas and I have never had a mishap because of it. That doesn't help you, but I'd rather post this than give you the impression you are being ignored .
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:28 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
yes, but for me it is 129.99 vs 149.99 so I rather fly the 48" edge for $20 more and use the smaller even more durable foamies for practice
The smaller foamies are certainly more durable, but they don't fly like the balsa planes in the way that the Skywing planes do. Personally I think that 3DHS's smaller foamies are very expensive for the technology that they offer. IMHO the 3DHS 48" Extra is good value by comparison to those smaller 3DHS foamies, but compared to the Skywing planes that until a few months ago, anyone in the world could buy direct from China, the 3DHS 48" Extra seems very expensive. It still deserves a place in an American 3DHS pilot's fleet, since it has the feel of a 48" balsa but far, far more durability. It can save you time and money on repairs and you can progress much more quickly since you can take higher risks with lower consequences.

BTW I costed out a 3DHS 48" Extra to ship one here and it would cost me over $200 AUD. For that amount of money I could buy 2 Skywing kits at the same time and ship them using regular airmail. I can't see myself flying the 3DHS plane anytime soon, as interesting as I think that might be.
Last edited by groovejet; Dec 10, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,029 Posts
The SkyWing Extra 300L Has Been Upgraded!

It has the same improved structure as Skywing's new 48" SBach 42 and MXS. The new color schemes are drastically different from the old yellow and blue schemes, and look much better IMHO.

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old May 12, 2012, 12:00 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,854 Posts
Wow, they look great! Much better than the old scheme IMHO.

I can't tell from the photos; does the new V3 Extra have less wing area than the old? My eyes may be fooling me but I suspect that the wing "depth" along the fuselage might be a bit less than before. If so, the wing would be more like the MXS in proportions. Yes? No?
Old May 12, 2012, 12:15 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I'm sorry Feda, but I do have to say 'yuk' to the updated colour scheme.

I thought the previous yellow or blue versions were quite respectable, but this latest colour looks just gastly. What were Skywing thinking with these colours, they look soooo busy almost like a crazy person got hold of the air brush on the paint line.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old May 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
IMK
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2005
181 Posts
Feda, these new color schemes look great. Really sharp! Much better than the old ones IMHO.
IMK is offline Find More Posts by IMK