HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:52 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
997 Posts
yes i have seen that most suggest the MG14's but could not find them.. are they the HXT or what?
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:58 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
These ones http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t%5Fservo.html
Cheap,but seem to work well and handling lots of abuse so far.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:06 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I cranked out the extra this week for a bit of fun. Its been about a month of other flying and repairs plus a new Tx upgrade that had me back to learning how to set things up again.

Anyway, I swapped the Scorpion from the SW Yak over to this bird and set it up on the new Futaba 8FG Super.

One thing I learnt is when you copy across plane set ups, go through the subtrim menu and start again from scratch.

I forgot with this plane, copied across the Yak set up and took to the air. Found I was massively out of trim on the elevator and ailerons. Damn rookie mistake.

Set it down carefully, fixed the setup and flew another 6 packs.

This is such a nice plane, totally different to the Yak which has been getting a flogging of late. The one thing I notice is that the Yak feels like it has a more narrow wingspan when flying and the Extra feels like a larger span.

I know it in my head but they both fly great and repair easy peezy also.

Love the scorpion 3020 in the extra, it was no good for me in the yak. Made the yak too nose heavy with the 2200mA lipos I fly so I swapped out and put an Omega130 into the yak and zip around on 14x7 with that plane.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:50 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
So todays flight of the extra ended with a loose fire wall that ended with motor/ plane separation at 100 feet in the air.

Now I know that unlike balsa planes I cannot order a new engine box for this thing. So what's the verdict, is it repairable and will fly again or scrap it?
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:57 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Ouch, that musta hurt .

Do both; repair it and get a new one. Use thin CA to get the motor mount wood back together, then strengthen it on the back if you can with icypole sticks and/or polyurethane glue. It'll hold. Add a new light ply wood plate if you think that'll strengthen it. She'll fly again .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:12 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Ooohh,carnage
Is the rest of the plane ok apart from the nose?
It actually doesn't look that bad really,take the motor of and start glueing I reckon.
I snapped the front end off my Sniper X2 on the weekend,and although it looked pretty mangled,it is a goer again,granted easier to fix.
A fixed up one is still better than a busted one IMHO,get to it
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:18 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Easy fix. Like Groovejet said get the wood parts back together first using CA and icypole sticks. Then work on the foam.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:22 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks guys.
Started preping the wood bits to reglue and it all just disintegrated in my fingers into a thousand splinters.

The rest of the plane is ok and the motor and servos etc, she just floated down to the ground without the motor. The scorpion motors have some grunt I tell ya!!....

I think I'll just order a new one, perhaps the MXS instead. The extra just didn't agree with me... I was hucking it good and proper today though. Still can't get the extra to hover as easily as the yak from skywing. The yak just seems to lock into hover for me with little or no adjustment. I just can't use the Scorpion motor on my yak without adding ballast to the tail which I am just not crazy about adding non functional weight.

I just hope bestvalue don't jack up the pricing because of 3dhs pricing as I have to wait until after Xmas for my replacement purchases. Been overspending on the hanger of late and it'll just have to wait a month.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:02 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
997 Posts
man if that was mine it would have been fixed already. it looks like such a clean break. i bet you could get the mesurements from some body on here. realy no reaon it has to be foam covered just trim everything off flush to that front doubler in the picture and get some 1/8th inch balsa and box it back in. even if the motor is out front ugly at least you can fly tell you get the new one... i just realized that doubler is the motor mount.. man just epoxy an piece of ply to the front of whats there and go fly..
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:28 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
I think the Yak is probably easier to hover due to the longer tail moment.I know my Sniper is really easy to hover with it's long body.I find the Extra harder to hover,but I think I have been overcontrolling it,particularly the rudder which is very powerful.
I am finding now that I am being much gentler on the tail in hover,and it locks in much better.It is definately making me a better pilot as I can feel it translating when I fly my PA planes.Stick with it I reckon,sometimes the more twitchy planes end up being more beneficial to us than the easy to fly ones.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:46 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.
As the firewall is the motor mount and as there was so little of it remaining after falling apart on my table I decided to scrap the plane and get another one. I felt it would be just too hard to mount and get the angle right for thrust etc. This plane had a hard life, was my first 48" 3D plane and as such has had some major damage before retirement. God they can take a beating compared to balsa.

Bleary, they extra was certainly twitchy. I think I was still trying to find the cg sweet spot with the heavy scorpion motor up front but it was close before the death knock.

Certainly did like the aerobatics more than the Yak but they are both great planes.

They yak, apart from ripping one wing off on the maiden has performed flawlessly since and me learning that heaps of UHU Por into an eps wing body ands with having the refill the cavity with carbon/foam and PU glue before reskining with epp back to original form. Then had to add two coins to the opposite wing to balance laterally and she's as good as new.

Now if I get the MXS and cut down the SFG's a little it should look a lot like the 3dhs skywing extra!!
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:32 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
I have the Extra, Sbach and MXS. Out of those three the MXS is my favourite, to me it seems the best all rounder.
It is very stable I don't even use the SFG's.

Be careful when repairing the wing core, it is not EPP and will melt with the wrong glue.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:26 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Learnt that the hard way nac.

Looking forward to seeing the american 3dhs fan boys repair their wings with welders and having the thing dissolve away to nothing.

My yak did that and after a couple of flights I realised there was nothing under the epp skin in the repair line. I pealed the skin back, cut up some epp slices and packed it all together with polyurethane glue which as you know expands as it absorbs moisture from the surounds. Gaps filled I added a couple of pieces of 3 mm carbon along the sides of the ply spar and stuck the epp skin back down with uhu por.

I can tell you the yak wing is now stronger than ever, I don't think even I could damage it again in that same spot.

So the MXS seems more stable than the extra300L? I wonder if that is due the the different wing shape or fuselage shape? How does it like the big scorpion 3020 motor? Do you have any issues getting to neutral cg?
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:56 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Looking forward to seeing the american 3dhs fan boys repair their wings with welders and having the thing dissolve away to nothing.
The American "fan boys" are already aware that it isn't all EPP.

The question is, why are you so angry at the world? I mean, I've been to Australia and most of the people there were friendly... what gives? Do you need a hug or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Now if I get the MXS and cut down the SFG's a little it should look a lot like the 3dhs skywing extra!!
Ahhh now I see. Just like a lot of the angry dudes I encountered in Iceland. Swear they hate us, then imitate us at every turn.

No hard feelings though. I just like to see people flying and helping each other out!
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Last edited by FireyFate; Dec 06, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:58 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,484 Posts
+1 That's not nice.
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank