HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2011, 08:42 PM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
Discussion
Large Size 4ch Coaxial???

So most of my heli's are micro 3ch's with a mini 4ch coax on the way. The 3ch are for fun relaxing flying and introducing friends to flying helis, that might not otherwise be into this hobby. I just bought the 4ch so I could start learning to really fly a Heli. Its a small one which is good because most of my time avaliable for flying is only indoors. However part of me would really like to have a larger heli. I have seen decent size 3ch's in the upper 30inch area and the one coming in at 47inchs. They are all 3ch's though, which I am not interested in on a heli that size. I am just curious if there are some larger 4ch coax's, cause I sure don't see them.
eviljack is offline Find More Posts by eviljack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 09:08 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljack View Post
So most of my heli's are micro 3ch's with a mini 4ch coax on the way. The 3ch are for fun relaxing flying and introducing friends to flying helis, that might not otherwise be into this hobby. I just bought the 4ch so I could start learning to really fly a Heli. Its a small one which is good because most of my time avaliable for flying is only indoors. However part of me would really like to have a larger heli. I have seen decent size 3ch's in the upper 30inch area and the one coming in at 47inchs. They are all 3ch's though, which I am not interested in on a heli that size. I am just curious if there are some larger 4ch coax's, cause I sure don't see them.
not as far as what you most likely refer to when you talk about larger 4ch coaxials ... a mass produced bird that is as cheap as possible (I dont want to sound offensive, but that is usually what people are looking for when they ask that question ... which has been done plenty times before ...)

the larger ones the fall in this category (and that is only my personal opinion) are things like ESKY BOL. Artech models (red wolf, airwolf), a few walkeras (mainly the 53xyz models and the L400 and LM3) there are some blitzworks from bananahobby with 22 and 26 inches, but if you are looking for larger coaxes, it will be DIY or very low volume builds ... and correspondingly expensive ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old May 20, 2011, 09:37 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Not aware of any 4 channel coaxials larger than approx. 22 -24" diameter rotor span and approx. 27" overall length, powered with 390 size brushed motors. such as:

http://www.bananahobby.com/1906.html.

There may be something larger, but it would not be in the mainstream type hobby grade helis, and most likely very expensive. Certainly more than around $200- $300 RTF.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Last edited by Doubletap; May 20, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:39 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
san huan recently came out with some larger 4ch coaxes

http://www.toptoyexpress.com/new-san...elicopter.html

http://www.rc-fever.com/copter-vmax-...7_671_715.html

other than that i would suggest esky's big outdoor lama...

also keep in mind when you move up to larger helis, they have larger lipos that require super long charge times under normal circumstances so if you want to avoid the wait be prepared to invest in some high grade lipos that can handle quicker charges as well as charging equipment.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Last edited by scorp; May 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:49 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
san huan recently came out with some larger 4ch coaxes

http://www.rc-fever.com/copter-vmax-...7_671_715.html

other than that i would suggest esky's big outdoor lama...

also keep in mind when you move up to larger helis, they have larger lipos that require super long charge times under normal circumstances so if you want to avoid the wait be prepared to invest in some high grade lipos that can handle quicker charges as well as charging equipment.
I vote for number 3 - #1 is only the size of a V4 and number two is all plastic (except the frame) if I am not missing anything ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old May 21, 2011, 12:04 AM
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
The small 4ch I bought is the 8829, just waiting for it to get here from Hong Kong. Its about as large as I will go for something indoor. I am also purchasing the Helizone SpyBird when it comes out in June, and that one sits at 22inchs. I would just like something on the large side to play with from time to time. I have looked at the 8830 as a possability since it stands at 28inches which is close to the 30 line. I am not really worried about price as long as its a nice quality heli and flys well. I would probably be all over the colossus if it was 4ch. The colossus sells for $150 right now so I would easily expect a 4ch to be more expensive. I may just have to wait till I get proficiant at more complicated helis before I get something larger.
Old May 21, 2011, 03:18 AM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
step right into a blade 120SR dont waste money on a "big" coax that will be outdone by a small coax. trust me on this one. from the 120sr graduate to a good radio then jump to a 450. people panic when the rotor spools up but believe me, it is not some uncontrollable beast that needs a whip cracked on it. A 450 size heli is as easy to hover as a coax once you learn not to panic. it just takes a bit of set up and knowlege.
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 21, 2011, 03:38 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,302 Posts
Unless you are going to build your own, don't bother. The electronics just suck, the drivetrain sucks, and most the parts need to be upgraded just to make them acceptable. And there will be a hundred guys just like CG above telling you why a smaller more nimble heli makes sense.
Saying that, I am almost finished with a dual 3bladed dual swash flybarless vtail brushless 450 sized Cf bodied coax that will easily keep up with my modded 450cp.
But it is no where close to the cheap junk listed above that everyone has problems with and regrets buying later.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old May 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice. My plan was to go with the 120SR after getting some skill on a 4ch coax. I been doing plenty of research on small FP helis I could fly inside, and after checking out the two LHS in my area I decided to go with this one since they both support the model. I will just wait till I am ready for a 450 and not bother with other larger heli's.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Those large 3 channel helis require dead calm conditions to fly. A little gust of wind can take them a long way.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 21, 2011, 11:15 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljack View Post
The small 4ch I bought is the 8829, just waiting for it to get here from Hong Kong.
noone has done a review on the 8829 thus far so it will be interesting to hear how it performs.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old May 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Jul 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
noone has done a review on the 8829 thus far so it will be interesting to hear how it performs.
I definatly plan on posting up my experience with this heli. There are a few different reasons why I chose to buy it but part of it was the fact no one has any info on it so I was uber curious. Either way it just cleared customs yesterday and is currently in-transit so I will let you guys know when I get it. I will probably revive the thread already started, even though it's tempting to start a new one.