Old May 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,460 Posts
Discussion
Samurai Sailplane

Versatile easy to transport high performance glider with included power system
69 in. wingspan, 41-3/4 in. long, 462 sq. in. wing area, 33 oz. flying weight. This is an example of how great things can come in small packages. Seriously, the box is tiny! Samurai is packed with everything that you could want in an almost ready to fly sailplane. The fiberglass fuselage and carbon fiber tail boom is top notch and easily assembled. The wings come in three parts and are sheeted foam beautifully covered in genuine Oracover. A good photo-illustrated step-by-step instruction manual makes assembly an easy process. The instructions show the use of HS-125 thin wing servos and HS-65MG servos in the fuselage, we choose a much more economical approach using our eRC 8g servos throughout. We have flown the plane extensively and are very pleased with the results.

This is a 5-servo plane with individual aileron servos, a single servo each for flaps, elevator and rudder. Included in the kit is a powerful brushless motor (1800kv) and a 45A ESC as well as a turbo aluminum spinner and 10x6 carbon filled folding prop. The only additional parts required are a 2-cell 2100mAh LiPo battery, 5 servos and a 6-channel radio system. The supplied power system provides robust climb performance and once at altitude Samurai's excellent thermal performance will keep you aloft indefinitely. It's not just a floater either; Samurai has excellent aerobatic capabilities and a brisk roll rate with good energy retention. You'll be equally at home flying from a flat field or on the slope; the low drag airframe will put a smile on your face.

Link to product page
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 05:07 PM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,460 Posts
Video

Hobby Lobby Samurai Sailplane (2 min 52 sec)
Administrator
Old May 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Anybody purchased this sailplane? Interested in your comments about quality of kit and flight characteristics. Will it thermal?

Thanks...
summitbill is offline Find More Posts by summitbill
Old May 23, 2011, 04:41 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,473 Posts
OrderNum: 79252-110523
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old May 24, 2011, 10:21 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,473 Posts
It will be here monday guys. Maybe, I will have it ready Tuesday morning.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,460 Posts
FYI, Neal that works our front counter retail store bought one and we started building his last night. He's going with a 3S setup using an Aeronaut 8x6 prop. It already has vertical power on a 2S so we'll see how this compares. He's hoping to test fly it on Friday.

Jason
Administrator
Old May 25, 2011, 11:18 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,473 Posts
Cool, I was thinking 3S 1300-1500's Maybe a little bigger battery (1800) trying to keep the weight close to the same.

Not sure how much space you have, hard to see from the pictures in the manual.

If you are pulling about 25 amps on the 2 S setup then you should be pulling somewhere around 18-20 on 3 S. That should give you a pretty good flight time and and not increase the weight much. I would not use 2100 mah batts if that is all you drawing.

Really, I don't know if the prop change is really needed, to drop so low. I was kind of thinking more of going with a 9 X 5. Only because you stated that you were pulling about 23 amps. With a 9 X 5 and running a 3 S setup then you should still be way under 30 amps and have at least another 100 watts of power. Which 290-300 watts is easy to chive, while still drawing under 35 amps and the ESC is a 45 amp.

Maybe if you have time today you can do a watt test on your with a 2S and 3S while you have the chance.
I have several glider buddies waiting to see what this bird is capable of and how affordable it is.

I have been looking for a hotliner / glider. That would be affordable.
Anything else I have looked at with this design is almost 350 - 400 bucks.

I am truly looking forward to putting this ship thru it's paces. I think it will fit my skill level well and provide me a chance to shine with it.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:04 PM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,460 Posts
3S on the stock prop hit 45A before I cut the throttle off. Too much loading. Best to use a smaller prop for 3S setups.

Jason
Administrator
Old May 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
I just ordered one of these and an Aeronaut 8x6 prop.

I am hoping it will be more suitable for higher wind slope soaring than the Radian Pro. Looks like it will be a lot of fun regrdless though.
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS
Old May 27, 2011, 02:09 PM
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
I just ordered one of these and an Aeronaut 8x6 prop.

I am hoping it will be more suitable for higher wind slope soaring than the Radian Pro. Looks like it will be a lot of fun regrdless though.
Vader,

I have a Radian Pro as well, so I'm anxious to hear how you like the Samauri in comparison to the Radian. Please post as soon as you've had a chance to maiden the new one. Thanks,

Bill
summitbill is offline Find More Posts by summitbill
Old May 29, 2011, 09:21 AM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitbill View Post
Vader,

I have a Radian Pro as well, so I'm anxious to hear how you like the Samauri in comparison to the Radian. Please post as soon as you've had a chance to maiden the new one. Thanks,

Bill
I'll certainly do that. Hopefully turn-arounds will be over by the time it gets in. I'm currently working 90+ hour work-weeks.

Not even getting a chance to fly the UMs in the morning before work now, as we get into crunch time...
Old May 30, 2011, 10:14 AM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Well, this should certainly be interesting. I just ran the numbers on the props and batteries here;
http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

*Warning* It looks like the stock prop would pull almost 70 amps with 3S...

The stock setup pulls 40.77 amps and 265 watts, using a Turnigy 1800 kV motor for the calc. 1212 grams of thrust, estimated with a speed pitch of 55 mph.

I have no 2s batteries, so I won't be able to test this one out.

With the 8x6 prop and a 3s battery that goes to 37.11 amps and 331 watts with 1716 grams of thrust or close to 2 to 1 thrust ratio, and an 85 mph speed pitch.

Going to a 9" prop puts the amps over 45 unless you drop to a 9x4 and a 8x7 hit 46 amps, so the 8x6 seems to be the best fit.

In comparison, my Radian Pro with a Graupner 10x6 prop has 231 watts, 1547 grams of thrust and 66 mph speed pitch.

The weights are close to the same, but the Samurai looks to be slicker and has 12% less wing span. I'm thinking it will do very well as a warmliner.

I'll have to be careful, as it looks like my 1300 mah batteries will only give 2 minutes of run time at full throttle. Have to see if my 2200s will fit for warmliner duty and high winds.
Last edited by VaderSS; May 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:35 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
Well, this should certainly be interesting. I just ran the numbers on the props and batteries here;
http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

*Warning* It looks like the stock prop would pull almost 70 amps with 3S...

The stock setup pulls 40.77 amps and 265 watts, using a Turnigy 1800 kV motor for the calc. 1212 grams of thrust, estimated with a speed pitch of 55 mph.

I have no 2s batteries, so I won't be able to test this one out.

With the 8x6 prop and a 3s battery that goes to 37.11 amps and 331 watts with 1716 grams of thrust or close to 2 to 1 thrust ratio, and an 85 mph speed pitch.

Going to a 9" prop puts the amps over 45 unless you drop to a 9x4 and a 8x7 hit 46 amps, so the 8x6 seems to be the best fit.

In comparison, my Radian Pro with a Graupner 10x6 prop has 231 watts, 1547 grams of thrust and 66 mph speed pitch.

The weights are close to the same, but the Samurai looks to be slicker and has 12% less wing span. I'm thinking it will do very well as a warmliner.

I'll have to be careful, as it looks like my 1300 mah batteries will only give 2 minutes of run time at full throttle. Have to see if my 2200s will fit for warmliner duty and high winds.

I use motor calc sometimes.
Let me get this straight, you have your Samurai already?
Old May 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
No, I'm hoping for the weekend, AND hoping I don't have to work...
Old May 30, 2011, 07:05 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,473 Posts
Okay well mine will be here tomorrow!
I will do a real world test on the motor, right after it gets here!