Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by moxjett, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 20, 2011, 03:07 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Discussion
3D Float Flying

Getting ready for a float fly and thought the 3DHS 51" Slick would look awesome with floats. This is the second 3DHS plane I've mounted on floats. The 47" SHP is my goto float plane right now. If the Slick performs as well as I think it will, I'll have two great float planes.
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 04:51 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,633 Posts
Be sure to post some pics of KE right above the water.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old May 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Info on how I mounted the floats to the 51 Slick.

I had an extra set of 51 Slick landing gear so I decided to use it to mount a set of floats Id gotten from Hobby King (link below).

First thing you have to remember is that the incidence of the wing chord needs to be 2 degrees positive when the top of the floats are level. 3DHS planes are so light that even if the fuse was level with the floats you could horse the plane into the air, but a little positive incidence makes for a nice relaxing lift off of the water. The only thing I did on the 51 Slick was raise the existing landing gear out of the gap. I had some 5/8 nylon spacers from Lowes (see pic) and this made the landing gear flush with the bottom of the Slick. I think my Slick maybe level with the floats, but I did this with my SHP and it took off just fine.

Next thing is to make sure the bottom Step of the float is under the CG or back of the CG. I got lucky on this set of floats because the mounting tabs were already installed and as you can see from the picture the step lined up with the Slicks CG.

Last, I cut out a 1 inch piece of 1/8 lite plywood to fit on the bottom floor of the Slick up against the aft end of the rudder servo bulkhead. This piece sits on top of the stringers, so I had to make two smaller pieces that fit between the center stringer and the outer stringers, so its basically two pieces of 1/8 ply sandwiched together (see picture below). After the rear mount was installed I installed the floats to the front mount and lined up the rear mount over the new back 1/8 ply mount and marked were to drill holes in the CF landing gear. After I drill the holes in the landing gear I reinstalled the floats on the Slick and lined everything up and drilled through the rear gear holes in to the new 1/8 ply mount. I then used blind nuts on the inside and tightened the rear gear to the plane using 6/32 x bolts.

For more info on mounting floats to a plane I found a link below to an article that Chuck Cunningham wrote some years back for RCM. He is the foremost authority on mounting floats to planes.

I hope this has been helpful and you can PM me with questions. Im by far no pro at this. I just try to use the KISS method and so far its worked for me.

Hobby King Floats
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15148

Chuck Cunningham Article
http://flyinglindy.homestead.com/skisandfloats.html
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett