HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2011, 12:33 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
Discussion
e-flight blade 120 SR short flight time

My blade 120 SR will fly for about 2 minutes and then act like the battery is dead. It will then fly for another few minutes and repeat the process. It is not that old and tech support seems to think that it is a motor going out and the only thing to do is wait to a failure of that offending component.
Has anyone else experienced this?
RichardM is offline Find More Posts by RichardM
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 01:59 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
Stick your finger on the motor after it has run. After 2 minutes it should be barely warm. If it's HOT it is failing. Not a common early failure on 120SR. Main motors typically run ~a year before that happens.

Not all the phone answerers are equally knowledgeable on a specific model, Horizon sells so many. Short flight is characteristic of the 120 battery. When it becomes balky, the light is flashing, right? Then it rests a little and does it again?

They should be sending you a replacement battery. They did me. Though under the strictest interpretation of warranty it's not covered, Horizon leans more toward customer satisfaction than toward stinginess.

If not, don't buy theirs, you'll get another of much the same and they're overpriced. See the model thread under 'micro', there is an aftermarket batt that fits if you peel some of the tape off.

Support the battery holder when installing/removing, it tends to break easily.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 20, 2011, 06:18 PM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/micro-helis-42/
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old May 24, 2011, 11:41 PM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
I thought it was the connecting wire to the tail motor as it was partially broken, but after a new tail boom and motor I find it doing the same thing with both of the batteries I purchase. The tail motor is slightly warm and the main motor is cool. Maybe I will buy another brand of battery and see how that responds.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:47 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
I have 2 stock batts one runs 3min+ and the other runs 5min+ and I treated them the same so there is variability in the stock batt. The aftermarket batt is 'Tiger'.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:22 AM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
I have five eflite batteries for my 120sr. One runs for about 90 seconds and gets real hot. The other four are all over the board, ranging from 2 minutes to 5+ minutes. I would definitely suspect the battery.
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old May 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
i have Tenergy 1S 3.7V 500mAh LiPo Battery coming from ebay so i am anxious to see if that takes care of it. if so those stock eflite batteries really are junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
I have 2 stock batts one runs 3min+ and the other runs 5min+ and I treated them the same so there is variability in the stock batt. The aftermarket batt is 'Tiger'.
Old May 25, 2011, 04:39 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
Quote:
those stock eflite batteries really are junk
Like Eflite thought we weren't going to find out? Mine are 'adequate' and one is even 'good' but I won't be buying Eflite batteries.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:51 PM
Go play before it is too late!
Newmarket Canada
Joined Dec 2008
95 Posts
MMM - I guess I must be lucky - I have 2 Eflites and get 6 mins on all of them. I use a timer vs. cut out. Mind you I do charge them on my "real charger" vs. the one that came with it and I am not flying very aggressively.

Chris
Chrisfly is offline Find More Posts by Chrisfly