Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 03, 2003, 01:28 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Come on people, it's not that bad to assemble! I think people get into trouble because relatively inexperienced builders like the low price tag on this model...but it isn't a beginners model!

I fly mine on the slope exclusively, and it's a great AEROBATIC model. It's not a "putz around on the edge of a stall" type of airplane, since even with a proper c/g it'll snap roll in a heartbeat. Far as I'm concerned, that just makes for a wider aerobatic routine. This model snap rolls and spins better than any sailplane I've ever flown.

Here's a video of mine:

http://www.soarcalgary.com/Multimedia/Filip_Snap.mpg

Thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=115385
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2003, 03:41 PM
I am animal!
Seattle Washington
Joined Feb 2003
174 Posts
What are your thoughts on this plane Soho?

-Kelly
kbw99 is offline Find More Posts by kbw99
Old Sep 04, 2003, 04:43 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
I haven't had time to finish building it, but overall I think the instructions suck, and the build is pretty standard. I would have liked for the mounting holes to have been installed, but I have models that have both had the holes predone, and those that haven't.
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Sep 05, 2003, 11:44 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
if someone gets their CG dialled in correctly on this sailplane, please post. I'd rather learn the lesson that way, instead of in the air.

From my perspective, it wasn't a difficult build. Instructions are garbage, the linkages are fiddly, but the quality of the sailplane was better than fair.
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Sep 05, 2003, 04:02 PM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Jonas
if someone gets their CG dialled in correctly on this sailplane, please post. I'd rather learn the lesson that way, instead of in the air.
I have bee flying mine for about 2 months now and i have settled on 68 mm back from the LE. When i first flew it i had the cg set at 70 and didnt like it. I moved the cg forward and it flelt better but it would drop the nose in a turn real hard. A buddy said the cg was too far forward. Its a little tricky to find the right cg, you have to sneak up on it. Start at about 63 mm and move back from there slowly. Like 2 mm at a time. My Philip has a real nice flat glide now and will float real good too.

Also you might want to put some flaperons in with elevator. It fixxed a lot of the probs with the plane. Now i can horse the plane around and not even think about a stall.

Hope this helps.
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Old Sep 05, 2003, 04:47 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
cheers, mate. I'll start at 63 and see what happens.
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Sep 06, 2003, 11:59 AM
jlk
Lifetime Beginner
Chicago & Tucson
Joined Sep 2001
638 Posts
I built the slope glider version 18 months ago. The instructions that came with it were for the thermal built up wing and there was no wing attachment hardware, I had to "wing it". It does fly well on the slope though. I can't see it as a replacement for a Bandit though.

I really question the strength of the wing at the weights you are flying with electric. After all, the plane, like the Bandit was originally designed for the slope. One last thing, mine flies better nose heavy (first time for any plane I have owned). When on the recommended CG the plane would not trim to one speed. It would balloon when moving fast. I originally move the CG back, that is what I would have expected from the way it was acting. I t just got worse. Moving forward solved the problem, go figure? I have the T-tail version.

It really cooks on the slope when the wind is up.

Jordan
jlk is offline Find More Posts by jlk
Last edited by jlk; Sep 06, 2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:33 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,941 Posts
So,... what's the real verdict on this plane? The way I see it two people had not a pleasent time buiding it, two people said it was OK to build, one crashed due to flying too low and then again because of wrong elevator compensation on spoilerons. Several like it as a sloper.

What's it like as an electric warmliner?. My wants are a non-floater sailplane that I can crank around, and zoom, but don't want to put $350 into the kit or ARF, and buy 6 servos.

The Nike sounded like "my kinda plane" then I heard it has no spar and a flimsy wing. I won't be getting real crazy with it, but I'd like to pull it around occassionally and not worry about the wing.

Fred G.
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:39 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
The wing on the nike isn't flimsy. I was the one who folded the wing. Most of those laminated wings DON'T have spars. If you get the nike you WILL be happy with it, especially considering how you want to fly...

As for the filip, the build was more work than I expected but not that bad. It flew nice and then a radio glitch and mine bought the farm. For what it's worth, I would go with a Bandit over this plane
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:06 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,941 Posts
Soho, thanks, yes I'm going over all the Nike & Highlander posts I can find and have read lots of your stuff. I know someone locally who might want to sell his Nike. Maybe that IS my plane. Who is the bozo that thought up that color scheme. Pretty airplane, ugly colors. I'm not beyond doing a recover job ,... just for looks. Thanks again.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:18 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Sounds like you want a bandit.... .. Sure, people who have assembled the highlander NOW say "it wasn't THAT bad" but ask them when they're in the process. Oh nevermind, you can't , they won't pick up the phone and they are weary at work after numerous allnighters. Keywords to look for in reviews "if I had it to do over again"... "the instructions were not very clear on this step"... etc. etc. I saw Jay's Nike wing fail, granted it was a violent maneuver, but a bandit wing would have held up, no doubt about it.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:30 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,941 Posts
No, I've heard too many bad things about the Bandit. I'm actually thinking my style of flying a Nike would be OK,... I'm not likely to >really< torque it around the sky,...... intentionally. The last Warmliner I had was a Sanyo Limit. I was happy with that (don't ask what happened :-) ). Anyway, it was a three panel wing and the panels were just butt glued together with a small plywood joiner ( at the most). In all reality the Nikes' wing has got to be better than the Sanyo Limits' which is what? ,......4-5 years ago!?

Fred G.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:32 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
lies, all lies and propoganda
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:42 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,941 Posts
,........... besides I want to do >some< thermaling,....... with a Bandit???,...... now there's lies and propoganda. :-)

Fred G
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:46 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Bandit has enough thermal ability for me.. certainly a Nike OR highlander will thermal MUCH better in same conditions... I HAVE had the opportunity to desperately work to get OUT of thermals with my bandits on numerous occassions however,, and that's no lie