HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2003, 04:34 AM
I am animal!
Seattle Washington
Joined Feb 2003
174 Posts
Starting to put together my Filip-E (any tips?)

Well, I started screwing around with my filip-e from Ne Sailplanes today and I am not looking forward to the build...

I am concerned about the wing mounting steps (mainly the back screws and nuts...) and I am debating trying to put both the elevator and rudder servos in the tail. Does anyone have any advice here?

Additionally, my kit did not come with a battery tray or any material to make a battery tray... is this normal?

Cheers!

-Kelly
kbw99 is offline Find More Posts by kbw99
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2003, 12:03 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I am going to build mine today too... I hope to tidy up a LOT of errands today. I finally got a day off... The Virus of the last week have been kicking my but all week...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Last edited by soholingo; Aug 26, 2003 at 08:43 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 12:12 PM
Bedford, MA
Joined Nov 2000
324 Posts
Hi Kelly-
Putting the servos in the tail will help to keep the CG back where you want it. You should also get a nice short, slop-free linkage - this is great for the elevator since it is pretty sensitive. If you have the T-tail, this looks easy to do. I couldn't see a nice way to put the servos in the tail on my V-tail, so I just put them as far back under the wing as possible.
I don't use a battery tray, my 8x1300CP pack slides back under the wing, with a couple of pieces of EPP foam to keep it positioned against the side of the fusulage.
The wing bolts seem to work OK on mine, and are a pretty common way to hold on a wing. Why are you concerned here? (I actually had more trouble drilling and aligning the holes for the front wing-mount pins - but it worked well once I was done fiddling.)

-Tracy
tclark is offline Find More Posts by tclark
Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:08 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
I just got mine today!!! woohoo! Looks great, but now I have to decide on a motor. I am curious about mounting the servos in the tail...I had heard about doing that before, but I didn't know how that would be accomplished. Any advice?
I'm still trying to decide on the motor however. Soho made a good suggestion for a mega, I'm trying to keep cost down, though....I hate to put a hole in the top of the fuselage, but it looks like it may be the way to go, and get the axi. Anyone that has an axi, is this how you ran the wires for it? Out of a hole and to the controller?
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:57 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I am going to do my best to finish my filip tonight so that I can fly it tomorrow or Sunday. I will also attemp to take some pictures for all to see...

Jay
Old Aug 22, 2003, 04:39 PM
I am animal!
Seattle Washington
Joined Feb 2003
174 Posts
How is yours coming along? Mines a nightmare... I just split the stupid wing saddle plate and am now trying to make a new one out of 1/4 inch MDF. I have no idea how I am going to get those little pieces of wood glued into the T-tail. Are you putting your servos in the tail?

-kelly
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:48 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I must admit that after working with the Bandit this plane is a <expletive deleted> to set up. I just spent 20 minutes hollowing out a servo BAY!!! The bad thing is that they make the score marks for the bay, and you still have to go over and hollow it out. I am NOT looking forward to the rest of this build...

jay
Last edited by soholingo; Aug 23, 2003 at 12:49 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:39 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Now I am getting hot. My joiner rod is bent. Man...
Old Aug 23, 2003, 03:29 AM
I am animal!
Seattle Washington
Joined Feb 2003
174 Posts
DON'T STRAIGHTEN IT DUDE! It's supposed to be bent... I had great ambitions to get this thing going by Sunday, but I think I am going to throw those out the window.

I will shoot for next week.

-kelly
Old Aug 23, 2003, 08:35 AM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Hi guys. I see that your having a few probs with your filip e's. I was a little upset when i did mine too. The holes in the wing for the hold down where too far apart and now i have a gap inbetween the two wing half's. It has proven ok but i still dont like it. I used some carbon tube for the dowl in stead the huge wood dowl they give you. Also proven to last.

I had to reglue the fire wall. It was not glued in too well.

You got a joiner?! I just got some wire from the LHS and made a strait joiner. I had to glue it to one half of the wing to keep it from rocking in the tubes. A little heavy but very stout.

Mega motor 4 turn with a promaxx 3.3 gear box and cam 14x9.5 prop. Tons,TONS of power. On 8 cells it gets to winch hight in about 30 sec. On 10 cells i have 256 watts and at 30 sec its at spec hieght. Gotta love brushless power!

The first time i built it i put the servo's and rx in the nose but i couldnt run my cp-1300. I also had to have 3/4 oz of lead on the tail to balance it. i just redid the plane and now have two hs-50's in the fusel under the v-tail and the rx in the back of the wing saddle. Now i can run all my packs. Even my 10 cell cp-1300! No lead to boot.

Hope this helps. Keep at it. When its done its a pretty nice ship. Taks a lot of lift to get it too climb but it will do every thing. Fairly fast, roll rate is insaine for a glider and floats alone like nobody's buisness.
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Old Aug 23, 2003, 08:35 AM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Old Aug 23, 2003, 07:09 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kbw99
DON'T STRAIGHTEN IT DUDE! It's supposed to be bent... I had great ambitions to get this thing going by Sunday, but I think I am going to throw those out the window.

I will shoot for next week.

-kelly
No it wasn't supposed to have that much bend. It souldn't mesh straight no matter how I wanted the wings toghether. I did straighten it in a vice which left a BIT of dihedral, but not too much. The wings are good. I am going to epoxy the joiner to one side. of the wings.

jay
Old Aug 24, 2003, 04:17 AM
I am animal!
Seattle Washington
Joined Feb 2003
174 Posts
I have to say that I hate the build of this plane. The instructions are not so good and some of the materials or pretty crappy (such as the hard wood wing saddle plate...) I hope it flys good as I am not having too much fun with the build.

Soho, are you going to put your servos in the tail as well? Additionally, could you take a couple of pictures as to how you mount your T-tail. I am not finding all of the parts described in the manual (I am throwing the manual out the window.) so I am just going to have to wing it...

-Kelly
Old Aug 24, 2003, 09:29 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I overbuild...

I am building this plane as a replacement for my bandit, so I am upgrading where I can. I want the plane tough and plan on beating it up in the air, so I am using hs81. They arer bigger and heavier and stronger. I have had hs55s strip on me, so I con't trust them in anything but parkfliers. I also don't trust the linkages provided, I prefer short metal linkages.

Thank goodnes I have built models from scratch before. I would not make this my first Arf, at least not as the directions recommend you build it. Enough of my opinions, here are the pics

The servo is mounted with a thin layer of goop on both sides. The servo arm is sticking out of the side and will allow me to use a stiff connecting rod.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 09:30 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
side shot from the outside. I used a dremel to cut a slit in the side of the fuse.