HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Chap1012, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:11 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,377 Posts
Discussion
Blade Balancing

Blade balancing is easy and should be done to all of your blades before flying. Perfectly balanced blades track better, gives less vibration and best of all, fly beautiful. I'm sure there are other methods of blade balancing but, this is how I do mine.

1) You'll need an extra blade grip that matches the blades you'll be balancing. Two- 4 OZ. Dixie cups. Note the nice thin edge around the bottom of the cup (I did put a black mark on the seem of each cup...coming up). The rest of the tools are a no brainer. "Sponge Bob" cups are optional. I have been told by some (and I have tried it myself) that you can also use full cans of soda or beer. But, in all seriousness, I prefer the Dixie Cups. Refreshments can be consumed when the job is done

2) Clean up the blades by gently sanding the slag off from around the blades. Have a screw handy to check the hole for a good fit.

3) Install the blades on the blade grips and shoot an imaginary line from the two screws to the end of the blade. Tighten. This should be a piece of cake for you long gun shooters. Note in the picture, I used 1/4" modelers tape JUST to show "shooting an imaginary line."

4) Note the blade on the right is heavier. Rotate the blades from end to end to make sure you get the same reading. Now we start sanding the underside of the heavier blade being careful and mindful of the edges. Keep your strokes even and spread out. Only sand a little at a time. Wipe the sanded area with a damp paper towel in between sandings. WHY? To get rid of the static electricity that will pull that blade toward your wood workbench. Just think of it as rubbing a balloon in your hair or jersey and it will stick to the wall, etc.

And, the results

I hope this helps and as usual all comments are welcomed.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; May 06, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts