HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Topgun 90mm Mig 15 maiden flights!

The rain and fog and wind took a rest today and allowed us to maiden the BIG MIG! What a docile machine. Flies off the runway in about 50' with no wind. Flies like it's on rails and lands like a trainer. I was concerned about low thrust readings done before the flight but flew it anyway. 2 minutes into the third flight at about 1/2 throttle the motor suddenly stopped. I was in a good position for a deadstick and about 6' above the runway lost all control. The aircraft was trailing black smoke out of the tailpipe when the right wing tip caught the grass and it came to rest after bending the nose gear strut. I quickly unplugged the battery not knowing what had burnt. Turns out the 85A ESC totally fried partially melting the foam where it was mounted. All leads were melted off (batter/motor and RX), what a stink.
All in all it was a fun day with some excitement thrown in which is typical for EDF's. This ESC was trying to tell me something earlier when it seemed to run hot and with less watts from a known fan/motor...
Can't wait for the next HK shipment to arrive to fly it again with full power.
Cheers

Freewing 90mm fan with Prodesign PD36/1900-50EDF 1900kv motor
85A Cyclone power ESC (defective)
Air retracts
Hobby topgun alloy wheels and struts
Flaps
Wheel brakes
9 HXT900 servos
Corona 72mhz 8CH fully synthesized RX

PS this isn't a special camo scheme for Canada... it will be painted once the bugs are out.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; May 19, 2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added equipment
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2011, 07:25 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Really glad you saved the plane! Looking at yours makes me want one
Hope she gives you many good flights up the road.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old May 21, 2011, 11:03 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
The rain and fog and wind took a rest today and allowed us to maiden the BIG MIG! What a docile machine. Flies off the runway in about 50' with no wind. Flies like it's on rails and lands like a trainer. I was concerned about low thrust readings done before the flight but flew it anyway. 2 minutes into the third flight at about 1/2 throttle the motor suddenly stopped. I was in a good position for a deadstick and about 6' above the runway lost all control. The aircraft was trailing black smoke out of the tailpipe when the right wing tip caught the grass and it came to rest after bending the nose gear strut. I quickly unplugged the battery not knowing what had burnt. Turns out the 85A ESC totally fried partially melting the foam where it was mounted. All leads were melted off (batter/motor and RX), what a stink.
All in all it was a fun day with some excitement thrown in which is typical for EDF's. This ESC was trying to tell me something earlier when it seemed to run hot and with less watts from a known fan/motor...
Can't wait for the next HK shipment to arrive to fly it again with full power.
Cheers

Freewing 90mm fan with Prodesign PD36/1900-50EDF 1900kv motor
85A Cyclone power ESC (defective)
Air retracts
Hobby topgun alloy wheels and struts
Flaps
Wheel brakes
9 HXT900 servos
Corona 72mhz 8CH fully synthesized RX

PS this isn't a special camo scheme for Canada... it will be painted once the bugs are out.
Glad to hear you saved the MIG! We are really interested in your additional posts and evaluations. We are the North American Distributor for the Hobby TopGun Products and Mr Ricky asked me to write and say thank you for your posts!

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old May 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
Hi Max!
I'm glad it was EPO as EPS would have broken during the mild cartwheel landing.
I'll probably go with a 100A ESC for future testing with this 1900Kv motor. It might be slightly over the 85A load with a fully charged battery. The other thing I will likely do is go to a Freewing 1750Kv motor as it is very efficient in comparison with almost the same thrust.
Cheers Eric
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:12 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
Painting done! Just need some flying weather...
Equipped with the new Turnigy DLUX 100A ESC that arrived today and the 1900kv motor this bird should be smoke-free (hopefully)!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:00 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
Hobby Topgun Mig 15 in Chinese colours flying

Flies with authority on its prodesign 1900kv motor, Turnigy 100A DLUX ESC and Turnigy 5000mah 6S 45-90C nano-tech battery. Set timer for 4 minutes and it burns just under 4000mah.
Very stable aircraft even in the strong winds we had today.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:55 AM
Burlington On
Joined Aug 2006
79 Posts
Looking good Eric! In the first pic-the Mig shadow on the runway is cool--maybe around 2:30 pm????
PRITZ is offline Find More Posts by PRITZ
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:45 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
Hi Pritz!
Pretty darn close! You must first correct for DST (3:30)! Had to pick up Hugo from school first as he is doing the flying in this shot. Hope to do a few more today with drop tanks.
Cheers Eric
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:48 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
Mig flies with drop tanks...

Flew one circuit with the drop tanks. Fan threw its blades on the downwind leg giving my son a chance to save it on the deadstick landing.
Have added some pictures.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:59 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
A dozen flights made with the replaced FW fan and PD motor with no problems. I think the original fan had a slight mark on one of the blades from new (like something hard had dented the middle of one trailing edge). Perhaps that caused the eventual failure of the blades.
All flights 4 to 4 1/2 minutes and no draw more than 4000mah. the drop tanks do slow the plane noticeably so they will stay off.
Cheers Eric
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:53 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
Tested the RCSpeedo app on the Mig 15 today and it averaged 80mph/129kph with and against the wind. This was measured without the drop tanks.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Jun 11, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:36 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
After many enjoyable flights with the original Freewing fan and prodesign 1900kv motor (normally used in the Changesun 5 blade 90mm EDF) I swapped out the fan/motor for the new Changesun 12 blade 90mm fan. Very similar performance using the Turnigy XK4074-B-1400kv.
The plane now sounds fantastic with very little motor noise. The heavier fan/motor required the 6S 30C Zippy 5800mah battery to be moved as far forward as possible. The dremel tool came in handy to grind the battery up into the nose cone/divider about 2".
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Feb 12, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Painting done! Just need some flying weather...
Equipped with the new Turnigy DLUX 100A ESC that arrived today and the 1900kv motor this bird should be smoke-free (hopefully)!

Nice looking Bird, My buddy just got his and we are painting now, Did you use the stock location for the battery and esc. It seems like you would need about 20 inch battery lead which seems no good? How did you set it up.

Thanks
Beancounter is offline Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:32 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,038 Posts
My battery is in stock location as far forward as possible. The ESC is just ahead of the fan just where the 2 ducts come together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
hey.. I also got the Dlux100 ESC for my flyfly hawk witht he CS12.. as soon as I connected the 6s it burned out and the white smoke set the alert on some of the guys at the field.

I changed it to a K-force 100amps ESC I had layig around
let's hope this willbe ok

4stripes.. have you checked the ESC temp after the flight?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon