HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2011, 04:20 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,441 Posts
Discussion
ALES Launch Camber

I've flown off a winch and hi-start for a lot of years but this ALES is quite new to me.

I have a new eSupra that I'm flight testing but I don't have an Altimeter or CAM to perform any actual testing.

I would be interested in a discussion about the use of launch flaps or aileron/flap camber for launches with an ALES model. Pros and Cons of what it is best to use to optimize height gain over time.

Thanks
Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
Bob McPeters
Federal Way, WA
Joined Feb 2008
17 Posts
Ales

Not a question concerning Competition powered climb's but a more general question as to best angle of climb to maximize climbs per charge.

Will reflexed Flaps/ Ailron improve climb efficiency or just controling climb angle with the Elevator just as efficent?

Bob
RCMcP is offline Find More Posts by RCMcP
Old May 20, 2011, 01:17 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
I set my surface like in speed conditio, just use the throws recomened by dr.drela for the supra, or simply leave them flat,camber will ony reduce your max speed on a motor climb

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old May 22, 2011, 08:08 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,415 Posts
Been thinking this one over for a couple days. I fly ALES ships regularly and compete in contest. Just as far as myself, I can't really see any need nor advantage to using camber or reflex on the climb. Running at nearly 200 watts/lb and nearly 3200 feet/min (975 metres/min) climb with a 2.5 metre ship launches are not a concern.

You don't need to extract the last ounce of your motor run like in LMR events.
You are not climbing the same way as you would on a winch line where launch management or zoom could be an edge in your favor. Everyone gets the same time/altitude, it could take you 20 seconds to get to 200 metres or 30 seconds.

If you don't have enough motor to make it, you are going to want a bigger one. Efficency to some degree can be made a lower priority for climb purposes. I'm not saying get sloppy about it, just all the techno gadget programming guru type stuff is a bit overkill really.

Time for upwind ranging should be considered and everyone approaches this thier own way. Some get higher then flatten out, some go shallower then go up to altitude. I like the pick a place that looks it has good lift and fly to that adjusting as needed.

Easy way to control climb angle is with elevator and a trained thumb. It might seem odd at first but most of the climb will be holding a study amount of down elevator, with maybe a blip of full down when the motor shuts off to transistion to glide.

ALES is easy peasy lemon squeezy as the advert said or run what you brung like Tuesday night at the drags. You can make it as simple as you want with a 3 channel REM plane or a full house moldy carbon fibre 4 meter red sailplane.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2011, 10:05 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,441 Posts
Thanks for taking the time for your comments.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 07:34 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
603 Posts
Ales

Leadchucker makes good sense. I would add that there are ways to get maximum enjoyment for minimum investment, but the fun really begins when you venture out into more exotic stuff. That said, I still enjoy my Radian when I am not flying my AVA-e or my full house Baracuda, or one of my other more 'advanced' models. I think the lowly Radian, in the right hands, is competitive. I plan to fly one in mixed (Winch and Electric) soaring club events.

Fly what you like, and are familiar with, and ENJOY. If you are serious- PRACTICE PRACTICE AND THEN PRACTICE SOME MORE!

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain