HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:03 AM
Stephen Carr
Guest
n/a Posts
Single phase motor

Hi again.

Well I'm looking at a Denford Viceroy Centre Lathe. TDS1, but it has a
problem, it's three phase and I only have one (

How easy is it to buy a new single phase motor? I see machinemart sell
motors but being a newbie don't know what the hell I'm looking for size,
shaft dia. mounting bla bla

Any ideas? (or even beter a product code and supplier)

Thanks


Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:03 AM
Charles Ping
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Single phase motor

Stephen

I reckon you'd be better off keeping the 3 phase motor and running the
motor via an inverter (sometimes called a VFD - variable frequency
drive)
I run my lathe this way and so do many others. The benefits are:
* Variable speed control of the motor
* Very smooth motor (single phase motors vibrate as part of their
design!)
* No grubby motor changing process etc

A trip to the Google Groups archive for this NG should tell you a lot.
The one proviso is that your motor has to be able to be wired in
"delta" rather than "star". If you look under the terminal cover for
the motor if there are 6 terminals you're ok, if there are only three
it's more difficult.

Charles




>Hi again.
>
>Well I'm looking at a Denford Viceroy Centre Lathe. TDS1, but it has a
>problem, it's three phase and I only have one (
>
>How easy is it to buy a new single phase motor? I see machinemart sell
>motors but being a newbie don't know what the hell I'm looking for size,
>shaft dia. mounting bla bla
>
>Any ideas? (or even beter a product code and supplier)
>
>Thanks
>


Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:03 AM
Stephen Carr
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Single phase motor

Had a quick look on web but can't really find anything in UK (with google)
any web sites that sell these and can advise me on what type?

Thanks


"Charles Ping" <wells_hall@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
newsli9kv4np2idr3p6pifq5586j1mt8pdtg1@4ax.com...
> Stephen
>
> I reckon you'd be better off keeping the 3 phase motor and running the
> motor via an inverter (sometimes called a VFD - variable frequency
> drive)
> I run my lathe this way and so do many others. The benefits are:
> * Variable speed control of the motor
> * Very smooth motor (single phase motors vibrate as part of their
> design!)
> * No grubby motor changing process etc
>
> A trip to the Google Groups archive for this NG should tell you a lot.
> The one proviso is that your motor has to be able to be wired in
> "delta" rather than "star". If you look under the terminal cover for
> the motor if there are 6 terminals you're ok, if there are only three
> it's more difficult.
>
> Charles
>
>
>
>
> >Hi again.
> >
> >Well I'm looking at a Denford Viceroy Centre Lathe. TDS1, but it has a
> >problem, it's three phase and I only have one (
> >
> >How easy is it to buy a new single phase motor? I see machinemart sell
> >motors but being a newbie don't know what the hell I'm looking for size,
> >shaft dia. mounting bla bla
> >
> >Any ideas? (or even beter a product code and supplier)
> >
> >Thanks
> >

>



Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:03 AM
Jonathan Barnes
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Single phase motor

Can you post the details from the motors rating plate ?

"Stephen Carr" <blabla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gU51b.8398$rb1.5901@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Had a quick look on web but can't really find anything in UK (with google)
> any web sites that sell these and can advise me on what type?
>
> Thanks
>
>
> "Charles Ping" <wells_hall@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> newsli9kv4np2idr3p6pifq5586j1mt8pdtg1@4ax.com...
> > Stephen
> >
> > I reckon you'd be better off keeping the 3 phase motor and running the
> > motor via an inverter (sometimes called a VFD - variable frequency
> > drive)
> > I run my lathe this way and so do many others. The benefits are:
> > * Variable speed control of the motor
> > * Very smooth motor (single phase motors vibrate as part of their
> > design!)
> > * No grubby motor changing process etc
> >
> > A trip to the Google Groups archive for this NG should tell you a lot.
> > The one proviso is that your motor has to be able to be wired in
> > "delta" rather than "star". If you look under the terminal cover for
> > the motor if there are 6 terminals you're ok, if there are only three
> > it's more difficult.
> >
> > Charles
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > >Hi again.
> > >
> > >Well I'm looking at a Denford Viceroy Centre Lathe. TDS1, but it has a
> > >problem, it's three phase and I only have one (
> > >
> > >How easy is it to buy a new single phase motor? I see machinemart sell
> > >motors but being a newbie don't know what the hell I'm looking for

size,
> > >shaft dia. mounting bla bla
> > >
> > >Any ideas? (or even beter a product code and supplier)
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >

> >

>
>



Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:03 AM
Stephen Carr
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Single phase motor

Well ,don't have the lathe yet, but its a denford viceroy TDS, I only want a
ruff price for a VSD so I can decide if I can afford the lathe.

Thanks

"Jonathan Barnes" <jbarnes@ATnetcomuk.co.uk> wrote in message
news:bi2t8k$e4g$1@taliesin2.netcom.net.uk...
> Can you post the details from the motors rating plate ?
>
> "Stephen Carr" <blabla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gU51b.8398$rb1.5901@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> > Had a quick look on web but can't really find anything in UK (with

google)
> > any web sites that sell these and can advise me on what type?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> > "Charles Ping" <wells_hall@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > newsli9kv4np2idr3p6pifq5586j1mt8pdtg1@4ax.com...
> > > Stephen
> > >
> > > I reckon you'd be better off keeping the 3 phase motor and running the
> > > motor via an inverter (sometimes called a VFD - variable frequency
> > > drive)
> > > I run my lathe this way and so do many others. The benefits are:
> > > * Variable speed control of the motor
> > > * Very smooth motor (single phase motors vibrate as part of their
> > > design!)
> > > * No grubby motor changing process etc
> > >
> > > A trip to the Google Groups archive for this NG should tell you a lot.
> > > The one proviso is that your motor has to be able to be wired in
> > > "delta" rather than "star". If you look under the terminal cover for
> > > the motor if there are 6 terminals you're ok, if there are only three
> > > it's more difficult.
> > >
> > > Charles
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > >Hi again.
> > > >
> > > >Well I'm looking at a Denford Viceroy Centre Lathe. TDS1, but it has

a
> > > >problem, it's three phase and I only have one (
> > > >
> > > >How easy is it to buy a new single phase motor? I see machinemart

sell
> > > >motors but being a newbie don't know what the hell I'm looking for

> size,
> > > >shaft dia. mounting bla bla
> > > >
> > > >Any ideas? (or even beter a product code and supplier)
> > > >
> > > >Thanks
> > > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:03 AM
Charles Ping
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Single phase motor

Well the price of a VFD depends on the motor rating.
According to Tony Griffiths site Viceroy motors varied from 0.75HP to
1.5HP. A llower power VFD is probably sub 100 quid with the bigger one
50% more. Of course you can pay a shed load more than that.

Like on this completed ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=40000

Charles



On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:54:19 +0100, "Stephen Carr"
<blabla@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well ,don't have the lathe yet, but its a denford viceroy TDS, I only want a
>ruff price for a VSD so I can decide if I can afford the lathe.
>
>Thanks
>
>"Jonathan Barnes" <jbarnes@ATnetcomuk.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:bi2t8k$e4g$1@taliesin2.netcom.net.uk...
>> Can you post the details from the motors rating plate ?
>>
>> "Stephen Carr" <blabla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:gU51b.8398$rb1.5901@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> > Had a quick look on web but can't really find anything in UK (with

>google)
>> > any web sites that sell these and can advise me on what type?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> >
>> > "Charles Ping" <wells_hall@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > newsli9kv4np2idr3p6pifq5586j1mt8pdtg1@4ax.com...
>> > > Stephen
>> > >
>> > > I reckon you'd be better off keeping the 3 phase motor and running the
>> > > motor via an inverter (sometimes called a VFD - variable frequency
>> > > drive)
>> > > I run my lathe this way and so do many others. The benefits are:
>> > > * Variable speed control of the motor
>> > > * Very smooth motor (single phase motors vibrate as part of their
>> > > design!)
>> > > * No grubby motor changing process etc
>> > >
>> > > A trip to the Google Groups archive for this NG should tell you a lot.
>> > > The one proviso is that your motor has to be able to be wired in
>> > > "delta" rather than "star". If you look under the terminal cover for
>> > > the motor if there are 6 terminals you're ok, if there are only three
>> > > it's more difficult.
>> > >
>> > > Charles
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > >Hi again.
>> > > >
>> > > >Well I'm looking at a Denford Viceroy Centre Lathe. TDS1, but it has

>a
>> > > >problem, it's three phase and I only have one (
>> > > >
>> > > >How easy is it to buy a new single phase motor? I see machinemart

>sell
>> > > >motors but being a newbie don't know what the hell I'm looking for

>> size,
>> > > >shaft dia. mounting bla bla
>> > > >
>> > > >Any ideas? (or even beter a product code and supplier)
>> > > >
>> > > >Thanks
>> > > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>


Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:03 AM
John Stevenson
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Single phase motor

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:54:19 +0100, "Stephen Carr" <blabla@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Well ,don't have the lathe yet, but its a denford viceroy TDS, I only want a
>ruff price for a VSD so I can decide if I can afford the lathe.
>
>Thanks
>


Stephen,
We fit quite a few invertors or VFD's [ not VSD ] to our range of machines.
In the past we have passed on our older models to the Model Engineering
fraternity.

It has now got to the point where on a cost versus features scale the older
models are not worth the hassle.

To get an idea of what the modern invertors cost go to http://rswww.com and
type in 431-9184 in the search box.
This will list a very good range of low cost invertors that can beat most
S/H pricing.
--
Regards,

John Stevenson
Nottingham, England.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 03:02 AM
Autolycus
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Single phase motor


"Stephen Carr" <blabla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:hH71b.35$8C5.18@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Well ,don't have the lathe yet, but its a denford viceroy TDS, I only

want a
> ruff price for a VSD so I can decide if I can afford the lathe.


I bought an AC Tech SF230Y 3hp variable frequency unit for 255 quid inc
VAT from www.exico.co.uk about three years ago. I use it to power a
four-post lift (I play with cars) and am completely satisfied with it.
You do need a little confidence in matters electrical. I chose this
route rather than convert the motor for two reasons; starting torque
limitations of the single phase motors sold by Machine Mart and the
like, which would not be relevant for a lathe; and so I could look for
other cheap three-phase machinery. I'm still looking.


--
Kevin Poole
********Use current month and year to reply (e.g.
apr2001@mainbeam.co.uk)**************
Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - 25/ day. Near Derby. May even
tow it for you.


 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
single phase brushless motor? stumax Power Systems 26 Oct 10, 2006 07:30 AM
Question ESC for a single phase sensored BL motor jfrickmann Power Systems 8 Mar 09, 2006 07:18 PM
Single B2 motor gear drive flyers nolasco Parkflyers 0 Oct 29, 2001 04:39 PM