HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by remzibi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 19, 2011, 06:26 AM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
904 Posts
Discussion
Arduino based RC flying projects , closer look

Lastly I was a lot involved into use of Arduino IDE , for some devices based on Arduino .
In closer look of Arduino I have followed conclusions .

Fusebits of Arduino MCU are set for home play with MCU by young hobbyist - but not for RC use in jammed and glitched environment , as for sure is ESC , some radios , cameras step-up converters , Video TX , etc. etc.
So what we got :
- ext. crystal (low power) - Unfortunate clock will work badly in environment what are jammed and glitched and power is not good quality and noisy , RC is exactly such environment .
In this cases manufacturer recommend Full-Swing Crystal option to avoid any problems .

- Brown-out detect is 2,7V , so it should be at 4,3V . In so low power , MCU just "play" that working correctly but it not . In case of communication cable are in , MCU alredy start clock running and can case bad memory and counting malfunctions . MCU should start only when the battery power is connected . In old days when was used RS232 and MAX232 chip such problem doesn't existed , but now USB cable have as normally 3,3V pull-ups on TX RX lines - what in fact made MCU to work .
That can explain why Arduino use for programing special FTDI cable with DTR signal to bypass this issue , except of commercial reason .

- Bootloader 2048kb size , there are smaller exist . Need to use special cable with DTR signal - that bad . There is not problem if on the board exist FTDI chip - but if not there is complication . Personally I have not such working cable .

So I decide that all of this can be repaired .
At first fuse bits must be set in proper way for use in RC environment .
So we set : :
- Brown-out Detect 4,3V
- Ext. Quartz in option of Full-Swing

To do that we need ISP programmer , along with ISP opportunity we can use smaller Bootloader - in this case Megaload (but can be aby other) .
Since this moment we do not need special cable with DTR , we can use any USB->UART TTL bridge , of any brand , even RS232 with MAX232 if anyone still have such old PC (most still have RS232 in PC) .

- Bootloader size 512word (1024kb - half size of original)

So Fusebits should look like that :

Bootloader files we can download from www.microsyl.com , compilation is more easy than settings of MultiiWiiCopter .
For lazy I add compiled files to this post . Also for other MCU .

About ISP programmer - there are many cheap solutions - I recommend LPT port and 5 wires - can be used ICprog or Bascom (schema of LPT ISP in help file - demo works excellent) .

Well , surprisly I managed that Arduino dudes , for some unknown reasons decided to hide your own compiled .HEX file - why ? that some kind of paranoid . We give you for free nice shiny pen - you can write anything you want but you must buy special ink .
Anyway we still can use that file for our purposes .

At begin in Windows we must set - show hidden files , also is good to unmark to show file extensions . That will be useful in next steps .

Now we can run Arduino IDE . When we want to compile out program we press and hold SHIFT button - then we press compile "play" button , at console on bottom of screen we have full path for out "hidden" compiled .HEX file .

Now we run Megaload bootloader and show him the .HEX flash file .

Now we simply connect power to the board - or on the board we simply press RESET button - update will start automatically . We close Megaload .
Fast and nice .

Here are samples of RC devices based on Arduino , both are working excellent with simple Prolific and other OTi cable , GUI of MultiWii works also excellent .

MultiWii board by FPV4EVER

Ardupilot - for this one I will now back soon and made it fly

Conclusions :
Fuse bits should be fixed .
By the way exchanged bootloader for more "accurate" .
At the end movie showing all procedure :
Arduino and simple TX RX cable without DTR.wmv (4 min 14 sec)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1_QKkJB48[/youtube]

I must admit that having Megaload we can use files compiled by any compiler , like raw AVR-GCC , ICCAVR , Bascom etc.

Also FDTI cable with DTR is still working on it , but DTR is not used .

I hope maybe this info will be useful for anyone .
remzibi is offline Find More Posts by remzibi
Last edited by remzibi; Oct 27, 2011 at 06:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined May 2008
90 Posts
USB-UART Tx Line driver

Hi, my computer doesn't recognise my remzibis usb. It says that the driver for the USB-UART Tx Line are not installed. Does anyone knows where can I get them?.
So far my computer is not conecting to my remzibis osd and I wonder if this is going to be the problem.
Thanks!
angelillogr is offline Find More Posts by angelillogr
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
Argentina, BA, Tandil
Joined Jul 2011
42 Posts
Hello sir!
I wanted to get your email to buy a OSD that you manufacture, it will be possible is available to ARGENTINA??

I hope your answer, I would greatly appreciate, since I can not find more data on you and your products ...

good flights, a warm hug to you!

MARTIN RECLUSA
tincho_arripios@hotmail.com
argentina
tincho_arripios is offline Find More Posts by tincho_arripios
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:34 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Contact

Hi Remzibi,

maybe you can help me to get the parts. Especially the PCB!
Please contact me: harry66@gmx.de or PN.

Czesc
Uwe
harry66 is offline Find More Posts by harry66
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
Contact

Hi Remzibi,

I would like to get your email if possible,for the purpose of buy OSD that you manufacture.
I hope you contact me: ante_o@hotmail.de

pozdrav
Ante
schleppertoni is offline Find More Posts by schleppertoni
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:02 AM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelillogr View Post
Hi, my computer doesn't recognise my remzibis usb. It says that the driver for the USB-UART Tx Line are not installed. Does anyone knows where can I get them?.
So far my computer is not conecting to my remzibis osd and I wonder if this is going to be the problem.
Thanks!
All drivers for all types of cables are for download at first post here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921467

To fast contact please write PM to me (simply press envelope symbol below my avatar) .
remzibi is offline Find More Posts by remzibi
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:34 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Osd

Hello Remzibi!

I was wondering if I could buy the OSD that you manufacture? I live in the US and would love to have one of your OSD. They look awesome!

I would really appreciate it if you would sell me one of these. Please email or call me at: pilot.d@mac.com

Thank you!!
-Taylor-
taylorddavis is offline Find More Posts by taylorddavis
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1 Posts
OSD purchase.

Hello Remzibi,

I am from Czech Republic, where can I easily purchase your OSD?

Thanks

Paul
paul@tuka.cz
techteam is offline Find More Posts by techteam
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:25 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Hook me up!

Hi Remzibi, finding your excellent OSD is nigh-on impossible, I guess a victim of it's own success. How can I go about purchasing one for my Arductoper Quad please? thanks very much, regards Owen
obooth is offline Find More Posts by obooth
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Want to buy OSD

Hi Remzibi!

I would like to buy one of your OSD's. Please would you contact me an tell me how to purchase one in Austria.

Please mail me: herbert.schneizlreiter@gmail.com

Thanks very much, Herbert.
Schneizlreiter is offline Find More Posts by Schneizlreiter
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Hello Can you sell me an OSD Remzibi?Thank you

jacquesfocus@free.fr
jacquesfocus is offline Find More Posts by jacquesfocus
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:41 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
253 Posts
Hi Remzibi!

I would like to buy one of your OSD's + GPS + cable etc. Can you send me an email, how much is the total + shipping to Greece, paying with paypal?
I want to use on my Dji f550.
Please mail me: tr.papaioannou@gmail.com

Thank you!
lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Hi Remzibi!

Can you help me.
When i have changed firmware on my OSD to version 1_74, after detecting GPS
with OSD's Layout on the screen leave message -

REMZIBI OSD 1.74
VIDEO INIT PAL 30X16
GPS detected 38400
units: meter

How to remove this message?
Thank you.
VD_Alnt is offline Find More Posts by VD_Alnt
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
To previous message
On version 1.79 everything is Ok
VD_Alnt is offline Find More Posts by VD_Alnt
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Buy one of your OSD's

Hi Remzibi!

I would like to buy one of your OSD's. Please would you contact me an tell me how to purchase one in Francce.

Please mail me: erwann56@hotmail.com

Regards,
Erwann
erwann56 is offline Find More Posts by erwann56