HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:44 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
Futurebreeze, would you mind sharing how you made your transmitter .. which components did you use? It is 5 volts right?
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:42 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
409 Posts
It is 5V input from an UBEC (Costin's home made) and and 3V3 LDO on the vTX board. Some filtering tantalum and that's it.
futurebreeze is offline Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Okto View Post
Hey guys,

does the 200mw module (foxtech) work with 1s lipo ?
its only rated for 3,3v.
4,2v might be too mutch ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaf110 View Post
Yes, 4.2 is 2 much.
Use a 3.3 regulator or 3.3 BEC from HK.
The official answer from FOXTECH-Fu Xing is you can use 1s lipo. TX5823 support max 4.5V. If you not believe me, ask them using the mail from your order.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
The official answer from FOXTECH-Fu Xing is you can use 1s lipo. TX5823 support max 4.5V. If you not believe me, ask them using the mail from your order.

enjoy,
Mtz
Maybe...with proper cooling and good antenna.
I'm sure that Fu Xing will be glad to sell you another module. Success
costi_n is offline Find More Posts by costi_n
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:44 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,237 Posts
deleted
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Last edited by alek3d; Oct 19, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:04 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
576 Posts
Subscribed.
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Jul 2007
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by costi_n View Post
Hi folks!

On Saturday morning our attempt to establish a new FPV 5.8 -200 mW distance record succeeded. Futurebreeze was the pilot, me...antenna tracker . But there was a price: we lost the plane. Our target was reaching 12km but eventually (unfortunately) there were over 18km.
Only yesterday we could see the video because after we lost video contact we rushed to our car to chase the signal from the plane and I just unplugged the power connector of the video recorder (thank you Renato for it) without stopping the recording. So our file wasn’t properly closed so we had to recover with some complicated procedures implying headers modifying etc.
Only now we can give an explanation of what caused my disorientation, because yes, at 12km I got disoriented. Why? Because the Remzibi’s OSD arrow got crazy at that time. Every turn I tried to take the god damn it arrow won’t show a trusty way to follow. One moment I tried to ignore the arrow and I was watching the distance but everything I did this was increasing. Underneath there was a river valley… I knew that if I had followed this I could reach home. Combining the landmarks, the sun’s position (or maybe what I thought it was the sun) and the distance showed by the OSD I tried desperately to return home. But unfortunately I failed. Maybe If I had taken the opposite directions following the river I would have reach home safely.
Anyway, the final explanation is simple: when we took off the wind had some direction…in the meantime he changed its direction in a very bad way for our initial flight path. So even if I kept in view some landmarks in fact I was circling around them and at the final point I got disoriented and the way back wasn’t just turning 180 degree. The wind was strong enough that even if I tried to head different ways the resulting movement of the plane was what the arrow was showing. Maybe a magnetic compass would have helped. On the next plane I’ll have a different approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwPw6qQO3YY
You did not have a automatic return to home function on your system? I would never want to fly so far without that as a back up.
mons2b is offline Find More Posts by mons2b
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:45 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
409 Posts
No, we did not. The challange was to to reach that distance with a proper video signal. A few month ago I realized why our GPS was working at 1Hz refresh rate (the Remzibi OSD was built by myself so I had to purchase a separate GPS module). At that time I didn't know that a firmware update was required in order to have 5Hz refresh rate. On a previous 7km flight I noticed that the arrow was updating rather slowly but thought that was the way the OSD was working. So my mistake was not making enough tests.
Anyway, no RTH system would have brought us home on that windy day and with a really slow GPS unit. We had another successful attempt at 19km and we did used an OSD with RTH system but I don’t know if and automated system can replace man’s abilities to bring back to home a plane from 19km when it have so less battery remaining.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:08 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mons2b View Post
You did not have a automatic return to home function on your system? I would never want to fly so far without that as a back up.
Every three time when I lost a FPV plane, no RTH would bring me back.
Instead, I used ground recording with lat/long display, and two of three times was able to find the plane and recover, based on the last visible coordinates.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:31 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,155 Posts
I guess you experienced 5.8ghz blokes here can answer this question in regard to these two 200mw TXs.

Which gives the best range with the same antennas?
I solder a short coax cable and connector on the rangevideo TX with a CL. I have about 2 inches of cable with TX horizontal at bottom of flying wing with cable bent up to a connector)

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=217

OR

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ansmitter.html

I have not had a chance to do any distance checks yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 24, 2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:14 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
409 Posts
The video modules are the same (almost, RV TX is locked on other channels), the same output power theoretically. Though there could be some minor issues with the 50 ohm RF line when soldering the female SMA connector (it depends on your soldering skills).
But the main problem that could arise with the RV vTX is the lack of robustness of the whole device. One heavier crash and the pads of the PCB could be broken. It would be better if you can make a custom PCB to mount everything on it.
The HK vTX is more robust, it has built in microphone and switching power (this allows to power the module up from 12V or more).
But, as a bottom line, the 2 vTXs are the same. The RV one can be "overclocked", you can raise the output power by increasing the voltage. There are reports of using one charged LiPo cell (4.2V) with proper cooling and everything was fine. I personally use one module powered at 3.8V and it works.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:31 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
The video modules are the same (almost, RV TX is locked on other channels), the same output power theoretically. Though there could be some minor issues with the 50 ohm RF line when soldering the female SMA connector (it depends on your soldering skills).
But the main problem that could arise with the RV vTX is the lack of robustness of the whole device. One heavier crash and the pads of the PCB could be broken. It would be better if you can make a custom PCB to mount everything on it.
The HK vTX is more robust, it has built in microphone and switching power (this allows to power the module up from 12V or more).
But, as a bottom line, the 2 vTXs are the same. The RV one can be "overclocked", you can raise the output power by increasing the voltage. There are reports of using one charged LiPo cell (4.2V) with proper cooling and everything was fine. I personally use one module powered at 3.8V and it works.
Thanks for the clear reply which answers the question.

With my MiniSwift and Bonsai the small RangeVideo TXs are sunken into the bottom of the wing and with the short cable and connector for the CL on top of the wing, the TXs are quite safe.

I have taken them a fair way but need to get another Rangevideo Type A receiver with diversity before I go too much further. Just a pain the Rangevideo 5.8 is on a different frequencies to the HK ones for which I have two receivers.

For power I just tap into two cells of the 3S LiPo for a light 3.3v regulator. I am always thinking of a better way but it works all right.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:43 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,727 Posts
You don't need diversity to go further, just use a helical instead SPW.
You have some 3-400m radius to fly around without issues, and manual tracking is quite easy with a 45 degrees opening.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:46 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,955 Posts
i use the same transmitter, you got good range on this guy, i use it. And oddly enough, even though it's spec'd at 12v it will work at 5v =) i learned this by accident one day.

i'm referring to the hk tx of course. great tx, love it, great range
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:13 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,155 Posts
renatoa - I have made two helicals that work quite good so will give it a go without diversity.

Just remembered my first flights with only a patch and ended up behind myself but I am much more experienced now so this should not be a problem.

I thought Type A TXs were a pain when I originally got them but when going flying with others you can use the Type A any time as no one I know uses them. It is a pain getting to fly with others with the HK ones. Guess I need to be able to change the dip switches easily.

polix
- wonder if the range is less on 5v? Guess you normally use 12v even thought 5v works?
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 24, 2012 at 03:39 AM.