SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,302 Posts
Thank´s to all

hi,
thank you all for the good informations in this thread!
with all those informations and developement i was able to change from 900 to 5,8 with a great improvement of video quality and range!

last weekend i´ve done my personal "record flight" with my new 5,8 equipment.

the flight went 5km out and there was enough room for going further, but a heavy headwind with more than 60km/h forces me to fly at full throttle to get a reasonable groundspeed.
i use:
rc-link: standard spectrum tx-module, 7k receiver + satellite
video: foxtech 200mW / CL; 2 pcs foxtech RC305 / 5turn Helical, SPW, eagle tree diversity, myflydream tracker

at around 2km the diversity switches from spw to helical at this time the video quality was well enough to fly, but in the future i will set the diversity to switch earlier.
until 4km the video quality was perfect and at 5km good.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 09, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:56 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,150 Posts
I saw a few videos on youtube showing Nova RTH seem it do the job right, only thing just not sure with the altitude control, until mine arrive from Himodel can't comment much

as far as I know 5.8 have most bandwidth but sensitive to interference, that why you need a good antenna for it, you should already noticed 5.8 antenna is smaller than other frequencies

btw can I remove the heat sink from the VTX? to bulky need to change to something smaller so I can fit the VTX into my Cloud Fly Cockpit
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old May 30, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
1.) 4 pole, 11.5mm

2) From tip to base, nc, audio, video gnd

3) Like all SkyRf based products it's mono audio only (single channel as you say).

HTH

Markus
thanks! Turns out after third trip to radioshack... The insignia 7" monitor cables I have reversed the video and audio when connected to the 4pole 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter. 805 and 305 aside, since when would yellow be audio and white video, but it works. Maiden flight tomorrow if the 3.2# Bixler can get off the ground.
Cheers!
Gotwings is offline Find More Posts by Gotwings
Old May 30, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Dec 2006
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Sorry to post off topic, but does the Cyclops Nova RTH OSD work ok?
I did a quick search but could find little info on it
Also is there a 5.8 channel that is clearer than the others? Or is it simply location dependent?
Thinking along the line that perhaps wifi etc might impede on one end of the available channels?
I dunno, just throwing the question out there...
Yes, It works flawlessly. I am happy with it.
My video uses 1.3ghz gear, not 5.8ghz. May be it is not clearer than 5.8ghz. My ground test the quality of 1.3ghz and 5.8ghz is almost the same but i dont know when it is at the long distance.
Hope this help.
tuongnhu is offline Find More Posts by tuongnhu
Old May 30, 2012, 04:57 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,825 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to post off topic, but does the Cyclops Nova RTH OSD work ok?
I did a quick search but could find little info on it

Also is there a 5.8 channel that is clearer than the others? Or is it simply location dependent?
Thinking along the line that perhaps wifi etc might impede on one end of the available channels?
I dunno, just throwing the question out there...
Just to throw in my 2˘ here. Nova OSD works, but there are severe limitations IMHO which is why I recommend you to step up to a real autopilot or go without it.

#1, Nova OSD depends on termophyiles to keep level. This technology is dated as there are weather conditions where it does not work at all and also requires you to mount said sensors somwhere outside of the model.
#2 the firmware is STILL buggy. The curent consumption reading is wrong, and is still wrong even after updateding the firmware
#3 Nova does not controll the motor nor does it control the elevator. It depends on these two things being propperly set for failsafe. While this works in many situations, it can be fatal in others.

Other proven autopilots do not have these limitations. The Feiyu Tech as well as the RangeVideo RVOSD both are proven and work reliably. They do cost more, but IMHO truly worth the price.

Regarding the 5.8Ghz channels, they are all ok. No advantage of one over the others.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 30, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 09, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:31 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,150 Posts
Quote:
thanks, the price is very cheap especially for rth

i have many of these 5.8/200mw vTx's, they work great, play very well with 2.4 rc
i cant remember the last time i flew without circular polarized CP/SPW antennas, IMHO it isnt worth flying on 5.8 without CP antennas

regarding removing the heatsink:
this unit~
http://fpvhobby.com/102-8ghz-super-combo-set.html
as far as i know, is the same 5.8/200mw that we use, but stripped down without heat sink, channel switching block, etc
this is a very light unit, but it MUST be in the airflow ie not mounted in a cockpit or inside the fuselage, without the heatsink it needs a lot of air to pass over it to keep it cool

hope this helps

thanks mate
same for me... 1.2 is not as clear image, but much longer range
great thanks I actually ordered this from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251063978745...84.m1439.l2649

I need the extra vtx for my HBK Tristiana FPV but the extra rx will be use in future for diversity maybe, stripping the heatsink, I have modified my Cloud Fly with Air Scoop so air flow should not be a problem I guess
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old May 31, 2012, 12:21 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Will these antenna work?

Please help! My first FPV gear is on its way and I think I might have messed up the antenna order. I ordered th HK 200mw tx and 305rx. Then ordered from BEVRC
1 of. BEV 5.8G Skewer Planar antenna 4 lobes(RP-SMA)
1 of. BEV 5.8G cloverleaf antenna 3 lobes(SMA)
Should it be a (RP-SMA) for the CL?
How much will it if any affect range?
nova osd,
using Spectrum DX7
Thanks everyone for all you're advise!
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old May 31, 2012, 12:33 AM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Please help! My first FPV gear is on its way and I think I might have messed up the antenna order. I ordered th HK 200mw tx and 305rx. Then ordered from BEVRC
1 of. BEV 5.8G Skewer Planar antenna 4 lobes(RP-SMA)
1 of. BEV 5.8G cloverleaf antenna 3 lobes(SMA)
Should it be a (RP-SMA) for the CL?
How much will it if any affect range?
nova osd,
using Spectrum DX7
Thanks everyone for all you're advise!
It won't matter much, as far as I know. There was an RP-SMA to SMA connector in my kit I got (same kit, only from Bevrc), so you can just simply use that on the cloverleaf. It will just add a few grams to the weight of your plane/quad/heli.

The only difference between RP-SMA and SMA is the center pin. One is male, the other is female. You just have to use the correct pin orientation for the two to make a connection.

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old May 31, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck View Post
It won't matter much, as far as I know. There was an RP-SMA to SMA connector in my kit I got (same kit, only from Bevrc), so you can just simply use that on the cloverleaf. It will just add a few grams to the weight of your plane/quad/heli.

The only difference between RP-SMA and SMA is the center pin. One is male, the other is female. You just have to use the correct pin orientation for the two to make a connection.

Scott
Thanks Scott, lots of new terms to learn I was thinking rp=right polarization ect. lol. Mine is coming from BEVRC so hopefully will include the adapter.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old May 31, 2012, 08:08 AM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Thanks Scott, lots of new terms to learn I was thinking rp=right polarization ect. lol. Mine is coming from BEVRC so hopefully will include the adapter.
No problem. RP = reverse polarization. However, the term is misleading. The polarization is not backwards, just that inner pin is male vs female. But it won't make a difference since you will have the adapter.

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:05 AM
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 09, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:41 PM
Yhdysvallat, CA, Irvine
Joined Nov 2007
230 Posts
I made a board for the 200mw transmitter.

I have problem with hi voltages. If I go over 11v as input voltage for the board the video distorts completely. Is this normal ? I am using a 3.3v smd req and on input side 1uF and 100uF caps and on 3.3v side 1 uF. I will use as input 5v anyways but does this affect my range somehow ? Below couple pics to clarify..
p3jpaavi is offline Find More Posts by p3jpaavi
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:15 AM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Eagle Footprint

Does anyone have an Eagle footprint for the 200mw 5.8ghz module that you can buy from various places? I'd like to design a PCB for the module I've bought to make it easier.

Thanks

Brett
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212