HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonboy View Post
The other 2 parts are inductors.
Thank you, Nigel!

Do you know part number or specification for these 2 inductors?
StormRU is offline Find More Posts by StormRU
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:31 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,743 Posts
They are placed rather to act as a fuse, as they did in your case.
Any hundred uH value, low ohm resistance will do the job.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRU View Post
Thank you, Nigel!

Do you know part number or specification for these 2 inductors?
I have no idea on values, I just robbed an old board of simialr sized parts that was also on a similar step-down regulator circuit. Worked for me

Get the chip in place first and if you have no suitable inductors, then you could make a short circuit across the pads with fine wire for testing purposes to see if it comes back to life.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Check this thread, maybe helps, seems same trouble:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1592710

But yours seems much more damaged. If not succeed to fix it, you still have a chance to extract the core module and use it alone, you find in this thread how.

whakahere, can you post the above link in OP, seems to be a common issue for this VTx.
I updated the front page a little. If there are links to posts in this thread or links to other good 5.8ghz threads here or else where let me know and I will add them to the front.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,237 Posts
futurebreeze,
I am really happy with your antennas that you sent me. At last I got video recorder so I could record my flight. I made a test today and went to almost 1 km (960 m) and it looks like I could go further but weather was really bad, there was very strong wind and started to rain a bit.

Here is the video, I am sorry for the bad quality, I was excited and forgot to change video recording resolution, so it got only the default, I think QVGA, which is really crappy, but we can see the distance ok. After I landed my elevator got broken, so no more flights today.

FPV Range test (1 min 44 sec)
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
409 Posts
Hi Alek,
I'm glad you are happy with the range, take care with that wind, i see your plane got a serious shaking from that nasty wind.
The same bad wind is in Romania too, it is very annoying in weekends especially... anyway i was very busy and my EZ2 is still waiting for being assembled. I hope this week i'll finish it.
futurebreeze is offline Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:56 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,237 Posts
Yes, I am happy, around 1 km was my goal to achieve, I do not plan to fly further. It does not sound like a very long range but in reality it is pretty long distance and it gives me enough room for flying safely with my little plane, without fear of losing video link. Your antennas look very professionally made.

I will post another video when the weather gets better and when my video will actually be better quality. The one I posted was really only to test the range and we can barely see the srroundings Nevermind, next time better for sure

Thanks again!
Old May 02, 2012, 12:58 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
409 Posts
Hi,
We're back in business after a long absence (other projects, a 10 months baby etc...), yesterday we reached 12km with the same setup as in the previous flight: EZ, 5.8ghz - 200mW + cloverleaf and helical, 3300mAh Lipo, RC Frsky + booster + biquad. We chose the same itinerary like in the 18km flight. In fact, during turning back (1:57) we recognized a landmark (some squares arranged around a circle ) that I noticed in the previous flight. There was a little thrill with this flight as we reconstructed the 18km path so both of us were a little anxious .
Anyway, Costi_n did a good job with the piloting, he managed well enough the Lipo's mAmps and we have enough battery forth and back.
5.8ghz 200mw 12km flight.mp4 (4 min 0 sec)
futurebreeze is offline Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Old May 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
685 Posts
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out.

I just got the 5.8GHz 200mW setup from BEVRC. I plan to make my own antennas, but before I do, I am trying to keep it simple. I am using everything stock at the moment.

I seem to only be getting about 100m before the signal starts to get iffy. I thought I should be expecting better range than that. I have tried Ch. 4, 6, and 7. All are just about the same performance. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old May 04, 2012, 06:04 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck View Post
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out.

I just got the 5.8GHz 200mW setup from BEVRC. I plan to make my own antennas, but before I do, I am trying to keep it simple. I am using everything stock at the moment.

I seem to only be getting about 100m before the signal starts to get iffy. I thought I should be expecting better range than that. I have tried Ch. 4, 6, and 7. All are just about the same performance. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Scott
Scott, Most likely what you experiance is interferance which is very typical on 5.8G with linear antennas. Actually, the closer you are, the worse. You should get range up to say 300m or 400m, but to get interferance all the way out is normal. Once you have your set of CP antennas, the interferance will be gone. It's a quantum leap.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 04, 2012, 06:07 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Joined Nov 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Scott, Most likely what you experiance is interferance which is very typical on 5.8G with linear antennas. Actually, the closer you are, the worse. You should get range up to say 300m or 400m, but to get interferance all the way out is normal. Once you have your set of CP antennas, the interferance will be gone. It's a quantum leap.

Markus
Thanks. Someone just pointed that out to me as well. I knew there would be a huge increase in performance, but I didn't know it would be that big. I just wanted to make sure that I had everything going smoothly before modifying anything, but it looks like CP is the way to go from the start. Now if I can just find some RP-SMA pigtails within 3000 miles of me and we're good! I wish I cold find them locally!

Thanks Markus!
Scott
Old May 04, 2012, 06:17 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck View Post
Thanks. Someone just pointed that out to me as well. I knew there would be a huge increase in performance, but I didn't know it would be that big. I just wanted to make sure that I had everything going smoothly before modifying anything, but it looks like CP is the way to go from the start. Now if I can just find some RP-SMA pigtails within 3000 miles of me and we're good! I wish I cold find them locally!

Thanks Markus!
Scott
It still could have other sources, but again, with linear antennas on 5.8G, you basically kind of hop from one interferance to the next....

Regarding the cable, for just a couple of these cables, the easiest source will be ebay. Grab a couple of cables as you most likely will build more than one pair. The other reason is that sources from asia have questionable quality. It happens once in a while that you get a cable with a bad crimp connection, so haveing some spares will keep you in the game. I could send you some too, or even complete antennas, but I'm afraid that I'm more than 3000 miles away from you. :-)

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 04, 2012, 06:20 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Joined Nov 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
It still could have other sources, but again, with linear antennas on 5.8G, you basically kind of hop from one interferance to the next....

Regarding the cable, for just a couple of these cables, the easiest source will be ebay. Grab a couple of cables as you most likely will build more than one pair. The other reason is that sources from asia have questionable quality. It happens once in a while that you get a cable with a bad crimp connection, so haveing some spares will keep you in the game. I could send you some too, or even complete antennas, but I'm afraid that I'm more than 3000 miles away from you. :-)

Markus
Very true. I have some on order that I got from ebay, but the expected delivery isn't until the end of May. I've already waited long enough. I have 2 pairs coming (4 actually, but I'm giving 2 to my father-in-law).

Scott
Old May 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
232 Posts
Reduce weight?

Hi

Is there any thought to making a version of this unit (or a way to mod it) without the video screen? I'd like to get it lighter to use for park flying and it seems odd to have the plane lug around a pane of glass. Couldn't an external monitor be used to view menus, etc?

Look like a sweet product though--definetly on my short list.
AeroHeadTW is offline Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
Old May 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Hi,
We're back in business after a long absence (other projects, a 10 months baby etc...), yesterday we reached 12km with the same setup as in the previous flight: EZ, 5.8ghz - 200mW + cloverleaf and helical, 3300mAh Lipo, RC Frsky + booster + biquad. We chose the same itinerary like in the 18km flight. In fact, during turning back (1:57) we recognized a landmark (some squares arranged around a circle ) that I noticed in the previous flight. There was a little thrill with this flight as we reconstructed the 18km path so both of us were a little anxious .
Anyway, Costi_n did a good job with the piloting, he managed well enough the Lipo's mAmps and we have enough battery forth and back.
Congrats, really amazing!!! Well done!