HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:02 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
I just don't get the part that you use your hand/finger...
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:05 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,019 Posts
Not important, just use the same orientation when leaning the leafs.
This is good... // or \\
This is wrong... / \ or \ /
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:23 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
I might give it a try.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:23 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007 View Post
Yea I read the Cloverleaf tuto from IBCrazy. The only thing I don't understand is how you determine if it's right-hand or left-hand...
Immagine to put a CL or SPW onto a table such that the connector is on the table and that the antenna isi upright standing on it's connetor. Now imagine that the lobes form the leafes of a propeller. That "propeller" would have to turn counter clock wise (always seen from top) to lift the antenna from the table if it's a right hand turn oriented CP antenna.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Markus

PS: Try to make it right hand oriented. That's industry standard and if you ever want to combine any of your antennas with antennas from other sources they in almost all cases will be right hand oriented.
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Immagine to put a CL or SPW onto a table such that the connector is on the table and that the antenna isi upright standing on it's connetor. Now imagine that the lobes form the leafes of a propeller. That "propeller" would have to turn counter clock wise (always seen from top) to lift the antenna from the table if it's a right hand turn oriented CP antenna.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Markus

PS: Try to make it right hand oriented. That's industry standard and if you ever want to combine any of your antennas with antennas from other sources they in almost all cases will be right hand oriented.

Ahhh! Now I understand. Thanks Markus
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
KD4KW
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Jul 2009
61 Posts
CP explanation

Very good. best explanation on those antenna's I'm seen...
Kd4Kw is offline Find More Posts by Kd4Kw
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:13 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2004
816 Posts
What voltage is everyone running this unit at?

Do you think it's safe to run this straight off a 4S pack?
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:58 AM
Joined Aug 2011
92 Posts
Hey guys,
I did my first flight in FPV with my homemade setup. It consists of SkyRF TX n RX modules . TX is 200mW 5,8ghz. It was such a beautifull experience . I was totally blown away and absolutely happy with a big smile in my face. FPV is such a nice thing and I am so proud that I was not just buying a PNP Setup and it is also working pretty nice.

My camera is a 520TVL 8gramm camera from ebay. It was just 30$ and there was not much to expect. It is doing its job and perfect for a look into fpv. I think I will soon buy something better better like a 600TVL HAD.

The only problem I got was the range. Ive flown on about 500m away and then the signal was getting fuzzy. Lines were moving through my screen and I stopped flying any farther. I think that is not what it should be. I am using CL and SPW antennas trimmed to my frequency. I think they are not perfect but they should give more than 500m. Yesterday I build 2 new antennas for another channel. I tried them today and the result was also not that good. I think my max. range was 400m. But I think I ve flown on the wrong channel. Instead of 5925Mhz I have set 5685 Mhz. It was the manual which was confusing me. I will try to switch the channels and then make another test.

Do you think there are any other issues which can reduce my range so much ?
Airbuzzler is offline Find More Posts by Airbuzzler
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:36 AM
Basel, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuzzler View Post
I am using CL and SPW antennas trimmed to my frequency.
there's usually no need for that as you probably wont be able to make them exact enough, and it doesnt make a difference anyway. post photos of your antennas (and your plane with arrangement of all equipment),maybe you did something wrong
quix-fz is offline Find More Posts by quix-fz
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
92 Posts
Here are the pics :
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:10 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,283 Posts
I had the same problem today and I'm using antennas made for frequency 5705 by Markus here on the forum. They look brilliant but performance was about as good as my own antennas, 300-500m or so before I got some serious interference and had to turn back. I'm not sure what's going, I'm going to check my setup later.
WiseDuck is online now Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I had the same problem today and I'm using antennas made for frequency 5705 by Markus here on the forum. They look brilliant but performance was about as good as my own antennas, 300-500m or so before I got some serious interference and had to turn back. I'm not sure what's going, I'm going to check my setup later.
As oposed to quix-fz opinion, the antennas make a big difference, but the range you get is catastropic. Asuming you use a 200mW sky-rf setup, you should get 3km for sure with the antennas unless you fly above some very very RF noisy area. Even there you would get way more than 300 - 500 meters. So something must be fundamentially wrong.

The 5.8Ghz setups usually are pretty roubust in terms of other components radiating in or harmonics even thoug this still could be. Are you sure what you observe is not based on an unfiltered noisy power train? Do you use the stock transmitter, or are you useing a HF module alone with some sort of power source? Did you made ground range tests without motor running? How about posting a video?

Markus
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure what you observe is not based on an unfiltered noisy power train?
Sometimes there were defintily interferences caused by the motor. I think its cause I am using an unbalanced prop and just a prop saver and the vibration are shaking the camera or the sensor. When I reduce or cut off the throttle the interferences are away but when I go any farther knew interferences are starting.

I am using the Sky Rf Module powered by a 3,3V Ubec. But the System is powered by a second battery. I just recognized that I removed this green ring ? I think this will have some influence.

Quote:
Do you use the stock transmitter, or are you useing a HF module alone with some sort of power source?
As explained.
Quote:
Did you made ground range tests without motor running?
Yes but just 300m and there were no problems.
Quote:
How about posting a video?
I dont got video out. I can just film my TFT Screen with my GoPro.

Another idea : I was flying with a bunch of trees 5m behind me. But I was flying in the opposite direction which was pretty free. Is it possible that those trees are destroying my signal ?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:03 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
I just ordered my first 5.8Ghz set, so I guess now I have to think about antennae. It looks like the cloverleaf is way easier to build, so was thinking about just building 2 of these instead of building the skew planar for the tx. This should still give me better performance than stock antennae right?
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuzzler View Post
Sometimes there were defintily interferences caused by the motor. I think its cause I am using an unbalanced prop and just a prop saver and the vibration are shaking the camera or the sensor. When I reduce or cut off the throttle the interferences are away but when I go any farther knew interferences are starting.

I am using the Sky Rf Module powered by a 3,3V Ubec. But the System is powered by a second battery. I just recognized that I removed this green ring ? I think this will have some influence.

As explained.

Yes but just 300m and there were no problems.

I dont got video out. I can just film my TFT Screen with my GoPro.

Another idea : I was flying with a bunch of trees 5m behind me. But I was flying in the opposite direction which was pretty free. Is it possible that those trees are destroying my signal ?
You were not too clear about the kind of transmitter you use, but the mentioning of an UBEC sounds like you use a HF module with said UBEC as the power source right? It's difficult to "debug" such issues without getting first hand information, but based on what you report, I get the feeling that it's caused by the UBEC.

The video signal itself is only varying +- 0.1volt and it does not take much to disturb that. Only very small ripple on the power train can have influence, or what's also possible is that a harmonic of the switching frequency distrubs the signal.

I suggest to organize a very clean 3.3volt power source (for a quick hack, a 1s lipo with a linear voltage regulator but don't try without the regulator as you otherwise will fry your module) and then you ground test beond 300m. It then still could be the camera, but I truly would put together a setup as clean as possible, just the cam, the tx and the mentioned clean power source. You can then switch between the UBEC and the power source at say 1km distance.

Markus