HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2011, 01:25 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Side feed at 5.8 is fine. I actually make those antenna with reinforcement hooks at the solder point so I doubt you damaged them. it takes one serious impact to break them free.

I think your problem could be the connectors. Check to be sure your center pin isn't pushed back into the connector.

Also, the lower frequencies on the 5.8GHz band seem to do best. Try that and see what happens.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 01:27 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
Ok, I'm misunderstanding you now. My transmitter antenna is side feed. The Receiver is bottom feed. You quoted my Receiver picture.

What about the RX antenna is bad? Is it that is has a kink in it or is it that there is open solder/wire below the hot glue? Are you talking about a manufacturing defect or it being damaged?
The bottom of the antenna has small leads which is how I mount the lobes. These are there for strength. Once the loop is completed, the tail doesn't matter (It actually acts as a balun to have some of the tail protruding).

-Alex
Old May 23, 2011, 01:30 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Ok thanks, I'll check the connectors and try another channel. I've banged my rx antenna into the ceiling and have bent it pretty far when transporting, so maybe I've shorted it out like Markus was saying.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old May 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I'm misunderstanding you now. My transmitter antenna is side feed. The Receiver is bottom feed. You quoted my Receiver picture.

What about the RX antenna is bad? Is it that is has a kink in it or is it that there is open solder/wire below the hot glue? Are you talking about a manufacturing defect or it being damaged?
I see. Well, the coax seems to be damaged and this could be a reason for the reduced performance. Also what I mentioned about the soldering of the connectors. This HF stuff is delicate and not so forgiveing sometimes. Also errors may sum up.

Something must be wrong because - I repeate - 500m should be cristal clear with not hickups whatsoever.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 23, 2011, 02:58 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I think your problem could be the connectors. Check to be sure your center pin isn't pushed back into the connector.
This may have been my issue! I checked it out and the pin looked like it was pretty short. I gave it a tug with some needle nose pliers and it pulled out, now it's about even with the bottom. Hopefully the weather will be good enough to test it out later today. I've got my fingers crossed!
Old May 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
This may have been my issue! I checked it out and the pin looked like it was pretty short. I gave it a tug with some needle nose pliers and it pulled out, now it's about even with the bottom. Hopefully the weather will be good enough to test it out later today. I've got my fingers crossed!
good luck with your testing. Once you start getting great range on this system it is a lot of fun.

I seem to be getting better signal on lower frequencies as well. But since my fatshark goggle cable isn't repaired and family was asking for some time I haven't got around to fly in the last few days. I am getting withdraws
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Old May 23, 2011, 03:38 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
My sets are actually tuned to 5775MHz. The closer you atre to that channel, the better the antennas work.
Old May 23, 2011, 04:58 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,451 Posts
How do you tune them, other than wire length, which is quite difficult to do after soldering.
Do you bend wire to achieve different "leaf" angles that give best SWR ?
Or what else?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 23, 2011, 09:04 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2009
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
My sets are actually tuned to 5775MHz. The closer you atre to that channel, the better the antennas work.
Very good info IBCrazy. Thank you

I'll be using CH1 from now on on my 500mw 5.8GHz Foxtech, with a difference of 70 MHz from 5775MHz

CH1: 5705 = 70MHz

CH2:5685 = 90MHz

CH3:5665 = 110MHz

CH4:5645 = 130 MHz

CH5:5885 CH6:5905

CH7:5925 CH8:5945
AeroM'ck'y is offline Find More Posts by AeroM'ck'y
Old May 24, 2011, 12:35 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
I have the foxtech 200 mw tx/rx set and just wanted to confirm that I should be using channel 1 and make my cl/swp combo with 5705 mhz measurements. I never would have tried 5.8 if it weren't for whakahere's videos. Plus I need some tiny antennas to go on my stryker :-)

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old May 24, 2011, 02:14 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki View Post
I have the foxtech 200 mw tx/rx set and just wanted to confirm that I should be using channel 1 and make my cl/swp combo with 5705 mhz measurements. I never would have tried 5.8 if it weren't for whakahere's videos. Plus I need some tiny antennas to go on my stryker :-)

- Jeff
Alex said he was building his to 5775 measurements so I would go with that. Trust me 5.8ghz is fun once you get CP antennas. I love cruising around and having no concerns of throwing my plane around. The great thing that you can now fly on windy days and hold picture. Your plane can get thrown around and all you have to worry about is keeping the damn thing in the air.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:06 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
How do you tune them, other than wire length, which is quite difficult to do after soldering.
Do you bend wire to achieve different "leaf" angles that give best SWR ?
Or what else?
Changing the leaf angles changes the circularity and therefore I do not recommend it. I actually have a special wire bending jig I made (ok, it's just a cut and drilled 5/8" wooden dowel) that makes the lobe the perfect size every time. You can change the frequency by sliding the connection point up or down the center element of the coaxial cable. Sliding upward will increse gain slightly as well as lower resonance. This is why you will see that my antennas have a short protrusion from the center conductor.

-Alex
Old May 24, 2011, 12:08 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki View Post

- Jeff
These antennas have a huge bandwidth. That makes them execellent for 5.8GHz. Don't sweat it. Build for 5775 and it will allow good performance over all of the channels. You can make it perfectly for your channel if you want, but it probably isn't necessary.

-Alex
Old May 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I think my problems are gone. IBCrazy, on both sma connectors the pins were too short. I pulled them out and today I just flew a full 1km! I probably could have gone further but I'm still using Spektrum and I don't want to push my luck too much.

Here's the vid:

Floater Jet FPV Range Test (2 min 42 sec)

I have some bad interference in the middle/end from about 500m out to 200m out and at pretty high altitude, I think it may be components in my plane blocking the signal and when I get closer a dead zone in the coverage. Does this sound right? I was also flying near a power relay station or whatever they're called as well as some high tension wires.
Last edited by Vitamin_J; May 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:10 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys, I think my problems are gone. IBCrazy, on both sma connectors the pins were too short. I pulled them out and today I just flew a full 1km! I probably could have gone further but I'm still using Spektrum and I don't want to push my luck too much.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE82yGiXS8

I have some bad interference in the middle/end from about 500m out to 200m out and at pretty high altitude, I think it may be components in my plane blocking the signal and when I get closer a dead zone in the coverage. Does this sound right? I was also flying near a power relay station or whatever they're called as well as some high tension wires.
nice one, pity I can't see the video. Germany and youtube they block everything if it has music I can't see the video so I can't really tell what interference you are getting. How high were you?

Going out 1 km on spectrum! be bloody careful. Spectrum has a problem of giving out really easy in range.