HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:04 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,222 Posts
And the flight map...
Tags are at 1000m up to 12km. From this point up they are random, as was the signal.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:07 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
422 Posts
Considering the plane was at over 700m who knows where it landed / crashed taken by the wind.
futurebreeze is online now Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Costi&futurebreeze...Congrats on the record and sorry for the plane ....I saw in the description DIY booster, did you make your own booster? (is it reliable, we all heard how argtek boosters failed, if so would you mind sharing the parts list&schematic?).
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Mar 05, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:13 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,292 Posts
congrats! that was one hell of a flight and blows my mind what a 200mw device can do. That is a record that is not going to be broken any time soon. It is a shame you lost your plane though. I hope you manage to find it.

So it stays pretty clear for about 8-9km on a tuned 8 turn helical. with good tracking then 5.8ghz 200mw should give a great range to fly in. With a home made helical as I built I was getting 6-7km of clear range.

Now we just need to develop a better 200mw transmitter. currently it is heavy and has rp-sma. Anyone know a simple switching circuit that can cut 6-16volts down to 3.3v?
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:15 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Here ya go: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ly_6_23v_.html
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:21 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,292 Posts
I have 3 on the way already and two transmitter modules on standby. I am already in testing stage.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:31 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
So it stays pretty clear for about 8-9km on a tuned 8 turn helical. with good tracking then 5.8ghz 200mw should give a great range to fly in. With a home made helical as I built I was getting 6-7km of clear range.
Thank you!

There are many compression artifacts on Youtube but in reality the image was better and permitted the piloting. The problem was that over 12km in certain positions of the plane I guess there were some dead spots of the cloverleaf antenna. After that I made many sudden moves and I reached other dead spots.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:49 AM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
Sorry to see the loss of your plane, but a very good effort indeed.

If you check the polar plots for the cloverleaf, you will see it has some nulls in it's polar pattern.
The Skew-Planar does not have these nulls and has complete radiation in all polar directions.

At that kind of distance, those nulls in a Cloverleaf are going to show themselves, whereas a Skew-Planar wouldn't have them and would maintain better all round performance.

I have never used a Cloverleaf for that very reason and the calculated marginal gain is just not worth it in my opinion.

Maybe these distance records will be better with a Skew-Planar and higher gain Helical?

Keep up the good work.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:51 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Thank you!

There are many compression artifacts on Youtube but in reality the image was better and permitted the piloting. The problem was that over 12km in certain positions of the plane I guess there were some dead spots of the cloverleaf antenna. After that I made many sudden moves and I reached other dead spots.
I found that too when I was going distance. I turn one loop of the cloverleaf towards the front of the plane. This will give the best signal when returning home.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
I have just one tx module and one 3.3V ubec on the way

Quote:
I have 3 on the way already and two transmitter modules on standby. I am already in testing stage.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:28 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,292 Posts
buying from china, /i buy more than i need
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:04 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by costi_n View Post
Hi folks!

On Saturday morning our attempt to establish a new FPV 5.8 -200 mW distance record succeeded. Futurebreeze was the pilot, me...antenna tracker . But there was a price: we lost the plane. Our target was reaching 12km but eventually (unfortunately) there were over 18km.
Only yesterday we could see the video because after we lost video contact we rushed to our car to chase the signal from the plane and I just unplugged the power connector of the video recorder (thank you Renato for it) without stopping the recording. So our file wasnít properly closed so we had to recover with some complicated procedures implying headers modifying etc.
Only now we can give an explanation of what caused my disorientation, because yes, at 12km I got disoriented. Why? Because the Remzibiís OSD arrow got crazy at that time. Every turn I tried to take the god damn it arrow wonít show a trusty way to follow. One moment I tried to ignore the arrow and I was watching the distance but everything I did this was increasing. Underneath there was a river valleyÖ I knew that if I had followed this I could reach home. Combining the landmarks, the sunís position (or maybe what I thought it was the sun) and the distance showed by the OSD I tried desperately to return home. But unfortunately I failed. Maybe If I had taken the opposite directions following the river I would have reach home safely.
Are you sure it was 18 km? I think OSD was showing incorrect data. It was also showing your EasyStar was flying at 90 km/h, which I think is impossible.

I am sorry for your lost plane though!
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:21 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
422 Posts
Yes, there were 18km. I analyzed the movie and the map and that’s the distance. The only wrong thing about everything is that I lost the right heading very early due to the sudden wind. For example watch, it from 3:33 to 6:15 I flew sideway and then in reverse. Look at the polygonal forest in the left and then in the center. I circled it, never get to there, even I was facing it many kilometers Seems unbelievable but with a strong wind and a insufficient throttle anybody can do it .
And 90 kmph with EZ are not impossible, with the wind from back and good throttle you can get it.

L.E.: On Saturday, Romania had weather yellow code in a few regions. In ours there was only a faint wind when we took off but during the flight the conditions changed suddenly.
Last edited by futurebreeze; Mar 05, 2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: more info
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:32 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Yes, there were 18km. I analyzed the movie and the map and thatís the distance. The only wrong thing about everything is that I lost the right heading very early due to the sudden wind. For example watch, it from 3:33 to 6:15 I flew sideway and then in reverse. Look at the polygonal forest in the left and then in the center. I circled it, never get to there, even I was facing it many kilometers Seems unbelievable but with a strong wind and a insufficient throttle anybody can do it .
And 90 kmph with EZ are not impossible, with the wind from back and good throttle you can get it.
So the wind must have been like 60 km/h or more in your back. I guess ES can do like 30 - 40 km/h maximum, so if it flew at 90+ km/h, the wind was really strong...

Will you try to find your plane? Did you write your phone number on it? Maybe someone would find it and call you...
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Quote:
buying from china, /i buy more than i need
Man now you made me scared ..(although I have good experience with china sellers) ...Nah everything is gonna be fine..

Costi c'mon tell me some info about the booster ...did you guys made it yourselfs?
Last edited by msev; Mar 05, 2012 at 05:40 AM.