HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
yes! bad dangerous girl with sharp scissors !
lucky she and you that she did not try on 220V cables...
Hopefully you get a spare cable asap, or just replace the powerplug with deans or bullets on both sides.
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2011, 05:17 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe2000 View Post
yes! bad dangerous girl with sharp scissors !
lucky she and you that she did not try on 220V cables...
Hopefully you get a spare cable asap, or just replace the powerplug with deans or bullets on both sides.
yup you are right. It is better than cutting the mains cable. I think I better be more careful with my gear. I would rather she cut this that the AC plug.

I am going to give it another shot at repairing it. If I can get it to work I will order another one and then it can take a while before it arrives and I don't miss flying time.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Old May 21, 2011, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
the power plug is sold as solderable plug, called "Hohlstecker".
in germany for example : www.pollin.de
dont have the ordernumber, but i think i have one here.
if interested, tomorrow i can give you the right number, hopefully.
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
Old May 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,410 Posts
I ordered a 5.8ghz CloverLeaf with 6" extention for VidTx, and Skewer Planar Wheel with 1" extention for my VidRx.....

but the extention coaxial wire was mixed/swapped !

Will putting the Skewer Planar Wheel (6" extention)
on the VidTx affect my signal?????

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...ter-p-179.html

Also,due to the mix up, I have the CloverLeaf (1" extention) on my
FoxTech AOI goggles with VidRx built in.

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/allinone-f...ion-p-258.html
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old May 22, 2011, 12:49 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
I ordered a 5.8ghz CloverLeaf with 6" extention for VidTx, and Skewer Planar Wheel with 1" extention for my VidRx.....

I haven't played around much with that but from what I hear it will effect it slightly. SPW is a better receivers antenna (better at multipath rejection) while the cloverleaf is better at transmitting (better at sending over range).
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Old May 22, 2011, 03:14 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post

Please, Don't spread the same question across so many threads! It's sufficient to post a question in one place. If you really don't get answers, then you may try another. No offense intended, just thought as a friendly advise.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old May 22, 2011, 08:09 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Please, Don't spread the same question across so many threads! It's sufficient to post a question in one place. If you really don't get answers, then you may try another. No offense intended, just thought as a friendly advise.

Markus
Guess how many PMs and Emails I got? It takes more than two hands to count them.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
I FPVed my new plane twice over the weekend, but I couldn't seem to get more than 500m range, no matter the altitude. Lots of drop outs and very poor picture when I did have signal. I'm using 200mw 5.8 with a CL and SPW. I've flown in a few different environments and so far the CP antennas aren't giving me any more range over the 1/4 wave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
check this post out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=24

it states what wifi will be on in your area. channel 8 still seems to be the way to go for you and me.
That's part of the reason I initially picked 5.945. And this too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
The CL and SPW (and I would not be surprised if it's the same with the helical) tend to resonate at higher frequencies than we want them to be on ... I therefore suggest to try your antennas on channel 8.

Markus
But from what I've seen, the 2km and up records that you and other people have done have been done on 5.705 and 5.725. I think I'm going to try 5.705 next.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old May 23, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J View Post
I FPVed my new plane twice over the weekend, but I couldn't seem to get more than 500m range, no matter the altitude. Lots of drop outs and very poor picture when I did have signal. I'm using 200mw 5.8 with a CL and SPW. I've flown in a few different environments and so far the CP antennas aren't giving me any more range over the 1/4 wave!

That's part of the reason I initially picked 5.945. And this too:

But from what I've seen, the 2km and up records that you and other people have done have been done on 5.705 and 5.725. I think I'm going to try 5.705 next.
May I ask where do you have your CP antennas from? Self built?

500m is SO SHORT that I have a very hard time to belive it can be explained with a poor envireonement alone. Maybe you should redo the antennas? Picture (close up) of them?

Markus
Old May 23, 2011, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
I bought them both assembled from Videoaerialsystems.com, here are the pictures:

I have my vrx mounted on a plastic mast about 12 feet off the ground as well.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
I bought them both assembled from Videoaerialsystems.com, here are the pictures:

Hmmm,

The antennas themselfes look ok. However, the connection to your tx OR the coax on the tx antenna could be a problem. From looking at the pictures the coax on the tx antenna seems to be bent 90 degrees? Or is your tx antenna having a "side feed"?

The other thing is the fact that you use a tx module and not as I assumed a "full blown" transmitter. There are two version of this module available. One with ~16mW transmit power, the other with 200mW. Is this the low power version? Alternatively, could it be that you partially "burnt" your tx module? This also could lead to radically reduced range if the PA chipset was fried.

I can only stress that 500m is WAY below what you can expect. At this distance you should not have a single hickup.

Maybe you should try with the "real" transmitter?

Markus
Old May 23, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:

Looking at this picture again, it seems like the coax cable near the antenna is "hurt". It seems like it was "overbent". They can't be bend with such a small radius. They otherwise loose either their impedance (50 ohms match) or in the worest case simply create a (partial?) shortcut. Both things could easily explain your reduced range!

Markus

[edit] the way you soldered the SMA to the module is also suboptimal. The ground and antenna leads at this frequency already form "something" that disturbs the signal. [/edit]
Old May 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Thanks for the help. My vtx antenna is a "side-feed," not bent. I'm not sure what you mean by the module, I bought the 200mw 5.8ghz transmitter from FPVhobby.com.

Is there anything I can do you confirm your suspicion about my vrx antenna cable being hurt?

e: I've bumped my rx antenna a few times and may have damaged it, I'll also re-do those solder connections.
Last edited by Vitamin_J; May 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help. My vtx antenna is a "side-feed," not bent. I'm not sure what you mean by the module, I bought the 200mw 5.8ghz transmitter from FPVhobby.com.

Is there anything I can do you confirm your suspicion about my vrx antenna cable being hurt?

e: I've bumped my rx antenna a few times and may have damaged it, I'll also re-do those solder connections.
If the picture I "quoted", and provided this is your tx antenna, then it's not side feed. The cable really looks like it's defective. At least that's how it looks on this picture! Coax cables MUST maintain the distance of the insulation and the center wire. That's where the impedance they have come from. The impedance must match with the transmitter and the antenna, or else the power coming from the transmitter is not radiated but partially or even mostly reflected resulting in less range and the risk of frying your transmitters PA stage.

Markus
Old May 23, 2011, 12:11 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Ok, I'm misunderstanding you now. My transmitter antenna is side feed. The Receiver is bottom feed. You quoted my Receiver picture.

What about the RX antenna is bad? Is it that is has a kink in it or is it that there is open solder/wire below the hot glue? Are you talking about a manufacturing defect or it being damaged?